F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......
Studio RSR

09-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #133
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Certainly sounds like it. If I were you I would go out and buy a lottery ticket.
Your stock EDC dampers haven't leaked at all in 180k miles? Wow.
Zero leaks, had a few different mechanics inspect them, only thing was my rear dinan spring cracked in half when they dropped the control arm to change a bushing which was weird. Had about 130k miles or so on those springs.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 05:24 AM   #134
Lada-1
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lada-1 View Post
Is the Shockware available also in Europe? I have emailed to Dinan and no reply for weeks.
I have contacted Dinan co.uk via email either. Still have not heard back from both.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 06:29 PM   #135
Ausmurry
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Mppsk THP

I got the shockware installed on my 2017 340i. Question is, can I replace my shocks with the Bilstein EDC replacement and still keep shockware? Has anyone done this?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:06 PM   #136
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

I understand shockware can be installed with any shock that uses the electronic shock control system. I have not installed it however. (Dinan product not available for my ECU on my 2014 335Xi, sadly.)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #137
chuckfsr
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

New to the forum, but a vereran BMW owner. I own a 2018, 340i xDrive, 6MT with the adaptive M suspension, and have been considering a Shockware update. I have read what is available on the forum and find Dinan’s responses extremely helpful and technically precise. I still have questions. There are four settings in my car. Eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+. My question has to do with the relationship of throttle response to damper settings. Currently, there are three throttle response settings in my car and sport and sport+ share the same throttle response (this is my assessment from driving the car and I do not have technical information on this.) I prefer the throttle response on the sport setting. Will Shockware keep the throttle response in the original position? Meaning, in order for me to get the sport throttle response, after Shockware installation, I will always need to be in the Dinan upgraded sport damper setting (15% stiffer than sport?) Also, is anyone aware of any upgrades that Dinan may have completed to Shockware so that it instals properly on late model, AWD 6MT cars? MANY THANKS
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #138
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfsr View Post
New to the forum, but a vereran BMW owner. I own a 2018, 340i xDrive, 6MT with the adaptive M suspension, and have been considering a Shockware update. I have read what is available on the forum and find Dinan’s responses extremely helpful and technically precise. I still have questions. There are four settings in my car. Eco pro, comfort, sport, sport+. My question has to do with the relationship of throttle response to damper settings. Currently, there are three throttle response settings in my car and sport and sport+ share the same throttle response (this is my assessment from driving the car and I do not have technical information on this.) I prefer the throttle response on the sport setting. Will Shockware keep the throttle response in the original position? Meaning, in order for me to get the sport throttle response, after Shockware installation, I will always need to be in the Dinan upgraded sport damper setting (15% stiffer than sport?) Also, is anyone aware of any upgrades that Dinan may have completed to Shockware so that it instals properly on late model, AWD 6MT cars? MANY THANKS
Dinan's shockware does not touch throttle or anything, it only plays with the EDC settings which is it's own module.

"The suspension mode control switch is fully functional with the setting upgraded for each mode. Every setting has become more performance-based in how it reacts to changing road and driving conditions. The "Comfort" setting is now tuned to be the "Normal" setting, while the "Normal" setting is now tuned to be the "Sport" setting. The big change is when the BMW is set to "Sport" as that is the new Dinan high-performance programing."

So ECO PRO and Comfort have the exact same setting (which would be OEM sport) and Sport and Sport+ is Dinan's own programming.
      01-10-2023, 01:45 PM   #139
chuckfsr
Rep

Thanks, I agree with your assessment. This is also how I read Dinan’s explanation. What this suggests is that in order to have the sport throttle response one would always have to be in the Dinan sport setting, which I find unfortunate. I wanted to see if Dinan will confirm this assessment. It would have been good to maintain the sport throttle response with the OEM sport damping, as well as pairing it with the Dinan sport damping.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 07:04 AM   #140
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckfsr View Post
Thanks, I agree with your assessment. This is also how I read Dinan’s explanation. What this suggests is that in order to have the sport throttle response one would always have to be in the Dinan sport setting, which I find unfortunate. I wanted to see if Dinan will confirm this assessment. It would have been good to maintain the sport throttle response with the OEM sport damping, as well as pairing it with the Dinan sport damping.
Shockware does not touch the throttle is and only altering settings within the suspension controller as chaungo noted so the throttle mappings for each of the factory modes is unaltered. Only thing I could suggest is the throttle booster as that would allow you to map your throttle settings to exactly how you desire. However, it should be noted that the throttle changes would be the same across all modes. For most this probably isnt a big deal as most want a consistent throttle (predictability) regardless of mode but some may have the desire for alternative mappings (multiple drivers with difference preferences as an example). This is still possible with different custom maps with the device but the factory drive modes would not change those throttle settings as the Dinan Throttle Booster would override it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 04:03 PM   #141
chuckfsr
Rep

Thank you, Dinan, for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:33 AM   #142
BradNC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i xDrive

I’ve been looking high and low and can’t find an answer on this. Can I install Shockware at home? If so, how is it installed? I can’t find any install instructions, an app listed on the Play Store, or any references to software. I don’t want to have to go back to a shop if my software gets updated or anything, so I’d much rather do it myself and I’m very comfortable with coding, programming, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:36 PM   #143
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

You MUST have a certified Dinan dealer install this software.
Appreciate 0