F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Mustang Mach E
Extreme Powerhouse

11-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #1
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Mustang Mach E

So Ford develops an electric vehicle, which we are told can do 0-60mph in 8 seconds, and decides to use the muscle car Mustang name.

Eh ??

The 2.3 ecoboost will do the sprint in 5.1 in standard form, or 4.5 as the Performance version, so the Mach E seems pretty meh to me.

Can anyone see a reason to buy one ? I can't.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

The current release models are not performance ones. As you say 7s etc

The GT models will come with done to mid 3s I believe.

Nice design and likely a pretty good offering, I like the doors and holy crap a touch key pad on the B pillar! That's an industry first is it.

All in all though, nice car but was there really a need to bring the great Mustang name in on this.

Last edited by JustChris; 11-18-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Love all the guys who have never owned a Mustang getting their knickers in a twist over the use of the Mustang name
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Love all the guys who have never owned a Mustang getting their knickers in a twist over the use of the Mustang name
Prior ownership isn't the point though is it ?

The Mustang has always been associated with performance, a degree of rebellion; the swagger of the 'young buck'. Just like the other American muscle cars like the Camaro and Corvette.

The Mach E is marginally slower than a 2.0D. Hardly sexy is it ?

At least when Tesla launched it went straight in with "ludicrous mode" and 0-60 in the threes.

Ford is obviously looking for a different brand association with the Mustang this time around.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I though it was 5 second range still seems kinda slow. The GT is supposed to be 3.5 seconds. Honestly they should just call it the Escape E and if it does those times as an SUV that's pretty good rather than calling it a mustang then it just seems slow.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #6
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

On a similar note, why is the new Porsche Taycan labelled as a "Turbo"?
      11-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Hmm well we won't have much of a forum if you have to have owned the car to have an opinion on it.

I can still appreciate the heritage of it. Ah yes that Highland Green SUV on the school run in Bullit. Simple times.
      11-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I though it was 5 second range still seems kinda slow. The GT is supposed to be 3.5 seconds. Honestly they should just call it the Escape E and if it does those times as an SUV that's pretty good rather than calling it a mustang then it just seems slow.
Yup the GT will be mid 3s.
      11-18-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Nice design and likely a pretty good offering, I like the doors and holy crap a touch key pad on the B pillar! That's an industry first is it.

All in all though, nice car but was there really a need to bring the great Mustang name in on this.
Key pad is quite common on North American fords. Alternative to the activity key, lock your keys in the car, do your active stuff and unlock with pin. I hired a Ford Edge mk.1 with it in Montreal, which was way back in 2011.

Lincolns have a cool touch sensitive hidden version in their new big saloon and SUVs (Navigator and Aviator). I love the Navigator btw, watch Doug's review

On topic - I don't mind them using the Mustang name, they need to do something to lift the branding and grab buyers. Our generation, or the petrolhead part of it, that loves the proper 'Stang is probably neither here nor there in their product planning on this one.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

Key pad is quite common on North American fords. Alternative to the activity key, lock your keys in the car, do your active stuff and unlock with pin. I hired a Ford Edge mk.1 with it in Montreal, which was way back in 2011.

Lincolns have a cool touch sensitive hidden version in their new big saloon and SUVs (Navigator and Aviator). I love the Navigator btw, watch Doug's review

On topic - I don't mind them using the Mustang name, they need to do something to lift the branding and grab buyers. Our generation, or the petrolhead part of it, that loves the proper 'Stang is probably neither here nor there in their product planning on this one.
Wow thanks genuinely didn't know that. We hired a Jeep Wrangler. Cool but tech from the 80s
      11-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Looks ok from the outside but same as Tesla, spend 30sec on interior design by stapling a massive tablet in the console for all the controls.
Appreciate 0