F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 GFB DV+ installed without moving or touching the turbo! +quick tutorial
ARMA SPEED

07-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #177
lonecitizenfour
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Sound varies due to mod but honestly, the sound is irrelevant. It's all about the performance.
I think if anything, it's smoother during shifts.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #178
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i N26

yes, its definitely smoother shifts, but most of all i can feel and see on the logs that im not losing nearly the boost i was during shifts. It actually feels like a nice strong pull after each shift.

16 Mineral Grey F30: Injen CAI | ER CP/TiC/Catless DP | VSRF 7" Intercooler | NGK LI Plugs | BM3 running PTF stage 2 93 AGG Tune | BMS Methanol Kit | GFB DV+ | AWE Quad Exhaust Suite | Dinan Sport Springs | 19" MRR GF9 with 225 front and 255 rear | M4 CF Spoiler | VividScreen 8.8"
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #179
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAoPiLLz View Post
yes, its definitely smoother shifts, but most of all i can feel and see on the logs that im not losing nearly the boost i was during shifts. It actually feels like a nice strong pull after each shift.
Exactly! Once the spring is broken in, it feels really nice.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #180
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly! Once the spring is broken in, it feels really nice.
How long would you say it took to break in? I've been running about a week (400 miles). Not that I'm waiting for anything I'm perfectly happy with performance as it is.

PS On my 2016 the plunger DID NOT pop out like the directions on the thread or GFB video. There is a green ring that keeps it secure so you just need to pop out the whole plunger assembly. Below are photos I took during take apart.
Attached Images

║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 2
      07-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #181
XAoPiLLz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
How long would you say it took to break in? I've been running about a week (400 miles). Not that I'm waiting for anything I'm perfectly happy with performance as it is.

PS On my 2016 the plunger DID NOT pop out like the directions on the thread or GFB video. There is a green ring that keeps it secure so you just need to pop out the whole plunger assembly. Below are photos I took during take apart.
yeah, i had the same issue on my 16. probably should have mentioned that when i mentioned the torx vs allen head screws.

Did your wastegate and originaly DV use torx like my 16 did? curious as to whether its a 3 series thing or across the board on the 16s.

16 Mineral Grey F30: Injen CAI | ER CP/TiC/Catless DP | VSRF 7" Intercooler | NGK LI Plugs | BM3 running PTF stage 2 93 AGG Tune | BMS Methanol Kit | GFB DV+ | AWE Quad Exhaust Suite | Dinan Sport Springs | 19" MRR GF9 with 225 front and 255 rear | M4 CF Spoiler | VividScreen 8.8"
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #182
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I wish I would've tracked mileage/time, but I'd say maybe a few weeks of driving? Say maybe 1k? It depends on how often it's engaged and how it's driven. I do more city driving, so plenty of stop-and-go.

Also, maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in but I don't recall having to pry mine out. I want to say my plunger came right out.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #183
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Great thread, with good info. It's a PITA but worth it, to me at least. Had mine in for year and change, and it does it's job to my liking. Some extra info from the original Installation thread that lost its pics https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1153103

IMG_1259
Appreciate 1
anotheran389.00
      07-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #184
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAoPiLLz View Post
yeah, i had the same issue on my 16. probably should have mentioned that when i mentioned the torx vs allen head screws.

Did your wastegate and originaly DV use torx like my 16 did? curious as to whether its a 3 series thing or across the board on the 16s.
Yep. Both had torx screws not allen, so must be revision across the board.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #185
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I wish I would've tracked mileage/time, but I'd say maybe a few weeks of driving? Say maybe 1k? It depends on how often it's engaged and how it's driven. I do more city driving, so plenty of stop-and-go.

Also, maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in but I don't recall having to pry mine out. I want to say my plunger came right out.
Yeah, I think it must be a revision that happened at some point. Watching video there is no way this version plunger will pop out. In fact I have to admit the OEM seems pretty bullet proof, especially considering the stock boost levels it expects to encounter. I don't know how it could fail as described, unless the plastic gets brittle and cracks, but even the plunger feels solid. I installed the extra spring for performance, and the single vent helps. For those reasons alone, its worth the price and install effort. I'm actually quite amazed this engineering, design and quality can be had for under $150. This thing really is top quality.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 01:28 PM   #186
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I think it must be a revision that happened at some point. Watching video there is no way this version plunger will pop out. In fact I have to admit the OEM seems pretty bullet proof, especially considering the stock boost levels it expects to encounter. I don't know how it could fail as described, unless the plastic gets brittle and cracks, but even the plunger feels solid. I installed the extra spring for performance, and the single vent helps. For those reasons alone, its worth the price and install effort. I'm actually quite amazed this engineering, design and quality can be had for under $150. This thing really is top quality.
I do agree that your OEM does look pretty solid. Mine was a flimsy POS when we finally pulled it lol. The single vent+spring is still much better but it does seem that BMW finally took notice to a flawed part of theirs (Still waiting on CP)

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #187
Killakittie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M-Sport 330i

Can anyone confirm If this diverter valve works on the n26 as well? Are the diverter valves the same on the n20 and n26?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:48 AM   #188
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killakittie View Post
Can anyone confirm If this diverter valve works on the n26 as well? Are the diverter valves the same on the n20 and n26?
Confirmed, it does work on both N20 and N26.
      08-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #189
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Confirmed, it does work on both N20 and N26.
Yes you want item code T9357 for either N20/N26. Also make sure you buy from an authorized disty. I understand there are a lot of counterfeits out there. You don't have to find someone on their website list because those are master distributors (like Turn14) who then sell to retailers where we buy them from. Mostly just stay away from ebay.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #190
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I'm surprised to hear about the running change in the 2016 to the OEM DV. RealOEM doesn't show a part change and says it's been in use since the beginning of the F30 production run. Must be a parts manufacturer change.. odd they didn't put a new part#

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_5185

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 08-03-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:57 AM   #191
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
I'm surprised to hear about the running change in the 2016 to the OEM DV. RealOEM doesn't show a part change and says it's been in use since the beginning of the F30 production run. Must be a parts manufacturer change.. odd they didn't put a new part#
Wow, you're right -- thats interesting, because I can say, the ring and/or retaining ring are certainly different. There is no way that plunger is coming out without removing it as an assembly like in my pics. There is about 1/16" overlap. UNLESS, that green ring becomes worn and quickly narrows to a point of uselessness retaining the plunger.....
Appreciate 1
anotheran389.00
      10-17-2018, 04:14 AM   #192
Mid_Night_F20
Private
Rep
Drives: 125iM N20

is it a 4mm or 5mm allen tool needed to remove the 3 screws from the stock BOV?
      10-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #193
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid_Night_F20 View Post
is it a 4mm or 5mm allen tool needed to remove the 3 screws from the stock BOV?
4mm for the stock, 5mm for the GFB. In the first post

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #194
combivan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Solidjake
Hey Solid i noticed your engine doesn't have a small pipe coming from the radiator whereas 1SLO4G does.
See my pic:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:13 PM   #195
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Installed mine today+yesterday.

I have a 13 'N26 xdrive. The bolts securing the DV were TORX (T30) and the bolts securing the wastegate were T45.

I decided to remove my turbo inlet for the install, probably wouldn't recommend as I'm not sure how much it actually helped, and it's a pain to take off. I actually ended up breaking it and had to wait a couple days to get my hands on a new one from the dealer. If you're going to remove your inlet, be VERY CAREFUL when reinstalling! The plastic gets brittle over time and can easily break off when you're bending the pipe to get leverage on the securing nut. I'd actually recommend doing this from under the car. Slide your inlet into the turbo slot (I had to oil up my new inlet to get it to slide into the turbo, but if you're using your old inlet that shouldn't be an issue) and then secure the nut from under the car. Just don't break that plastic section!

For my ball end sockets, I used this kit from Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-...SABEgK8zvD_BwE

Highly recommend, pretty much perfect for the install. These came just thin enough to get the bolts in. Still, it would have been much easier if they were ground down just a little bit more, but with this set it's still doable without grinding.

As for the gains, the car definitely picks up faster now. Feels great! It shifted hard at first but very it's smooth now; I think it just needed to break in a little bit. Absolutely no flutter sound for me, but I also don't have an intake. I made sure to oil up that piston before the install, maybe that helped. I used the spring GFB supplied, NOT the factory spring. The turbo is a little louder but that's it. The main thing I noticed was much less turbo lag and the car holds boost so much better.

By the way; I'm fairly new to engine mods/bolt ons but still got it done. Don't be intimidated by this job; it's all patience and persistence.
Attached Images

CURRENT: '18 340i
Appreciate 2
      08-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #196
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

Does anyone have any data showing better performance of an upgraded DV+ vs a properly working stock DV? As I understand it just maintains boost on shifts and when you backoff the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #197
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I just had my DV+ installed along with chargepipes and intercooler, so not sure what is causing my exhaust valve to stay open.

My working theory is that since the DV+ holds boost longer, the car's ECU thinks he needs to keep exhaust valve open longer also.

For now I don't mind it, exhaust sounds better, but I plan to have a catless downpipe installed soon and I would like the exhaust valve to stay closed in eco / comfort so I can leave home without waking up the entire neighborhood.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:37 AM   #198
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Msport

I installed mine.

No difference. The sound thats heard on most youtube videos is actually really faint in person, unless you have the hood open and you're standing there hearing it. The flutter MIGHT sound a bit louder if you have a cold air intake or a custom tune with increased boost.

In my opinion, not worth the big price. I am completely stock, this is the only mod i have done related to the engine. I have stock engine, everything. Did not feel a difference at wide open throttle or anything.

I have a boosted Corvette, and a supercharged silverado. I am well aware of power adders and bolt-ons. This mod just gives you a beefier diverter valve. I would spend the extra money on an exhaust, intake, or put it towards a tune or some cosmetic mod, i was gonna put the stock one on and get my money back, but its a pain in the ass to un-install.

Just my honest opinion. Also there is a replica of this exact part selling for 27 dollars. Exactly the same, same spring, everything. Buddy bought it, compared it to my authentic one, and they are the same, even weighed the same. Not dropping link its an overseas vendor. Makes the same faint noise mine does. Good luck.

Last edited by SMiGGs; 08-30-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 2