F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Moving up from an E91 to an F31
proTUNING Freaks

10-09-2018, 01:40 AM   #1
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Moving up from an E91 to an F31

My trusty E91 is at just over 87k of trouble free miles and I fancy a change looked at the X3 but just didn't do it for me I just love the touring. So what's to look out for with the F31? Ideally would be a 330d (budget for the change is £22k), my E91 is a four pot is there a big increase in servicing prices for the extra two on the block? I work rurally so thinking xdrive might be worthwhile for winter & trips to sites is it worth it?
      10-09-2018, 01:53 AM   #2
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

If you want xdrive get the 335d, they arent really anymore expensive and they come with a better spec
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 01:56 AM   #3
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

22k will get you a lot of car at the moment

Spec wise aren't both six pot diesels the same apart from AWD?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylemacca01 View Post
If you want xdrive get the 335d, they arent really anymore expensive and they come with a better spec
Eh?

There is no difference in spec between a 335d and 330d.

What extras do you get?

OP I went E91 (320d) to F31 (330d xdrive).

I had zero issues with the car so cannot really comment on price differences.

The 330d will give you better overall economy over the 335d which is closer to a Petrol car economy. Yes the 335d will give more power hence worse mpg.

Full adaptive (magic lights) are worth looking for as an option, they give good coverage on rural roads and react well.

Also worth looking at ACS springs if xdrive.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #5
ahmedb
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 Silverstone M3

I made the switch a few years ago, albeit from E90 to F31. The F31 is a fantastic car and in my opinion, the best all rounder is the 330d s drive. If x drive is a must, expect economy to be down as the car is bigger/heavier and requires more effort to power the drivetrain. X drive is based on SE suspension which is basically pants. If you don't need the ground clearance (which by the way is mahoosive and given that you have an E91, you will be fine), be sure to look into upgrading the suspension. ACS is most popular but cheaper options are Eibachs or H&R. You won't be slamming your car to the ground but instead giving it the ride height you would expect from a BMW 3 series. This will sort out handling and the awful arch gap.

Your budget will get you a very nice LCI 330d with options and low mileage. Do you only buy approved used or would you consider private? Spec wise, it depends what you need. For me, heated seats, pro nav, folding mirrors and adaptive xenons (with HBA) were a must. Everything else was nice to have.

The 330d is hardly any more expensive to maintain than a 320d. Tax is slightly higher but fuel efficiency isn't so bad. With s drive, I could get 50mpg without too much difficulty. The 6 pot sounds far more refined compared to the clunky 320d and be sure to benefit from the very regarded ZF8 auto gearbox. Servicing costs are also pretty similar in price if you go through the bmw-service site. No common issues on the 330d that I am aware of. If you like a bit of grunt and want x drive, get the 335d. Fuel efficiency will be around 40mpg but be aware of the common EGR issues of which there is a recall at the moment.

Btw, in the F3x range, I've owned 2x 320d s drive, 320d x drive, 2x 330d s drive, 335d x drive and 2x 335i (s drive only). The 335d was a very capable car but even after switching to eibach springs, I couldn't live with the handling - I prefer a lively rear axle. I also missed the sound so my current car is a 335i.

Rough average mpg:

320d s drive - 50-55mpg
320d x drive - 45mpg
330d s drive - 45-50mpg
335d x drive - 35-40mpg
335i s drive - 25-30mpg

Good luck
      10-09-2018, 02:15 AM   #6
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
OP don't naturally assume it will all be better. I've owned three E92 over time and sold our 325i late last year. i still had use of the firms F36.

I found the steering feel in the E92 so much nicer. same with the lesser road/tyre noise. Sure the F series will leave it for dead in term of tech and kit. But it made me think just how nice the E9# are.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:36 AM   #7
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

330d s drive, better than a lot but does have issues depending on where / how you drive.

The 6 pot is far superior than the 4 in terms of noise / driveability, more refined and much more mid range grunt.

Overall mine has been very good, bought with 9k miles & now on 63K, no real issues, regularly serviced & nothing has fallen off !! and it is a pre LCi

My journeys tend to be a real mix of motorway / country road / some town & my car shows an average of 42mpg - I use the power available often. I have had 51mpg once but that was on 50miles of B roads in traffic.

On the question of B and lesser quality roads the standard M sport suspension can be bouncy and doesn't make for great handling, it struggles when you're 'driving' it to keep everything sharp and focused. Other roads no problems.

Steering (as its electric power assisted) can feel a bit vague in the dead ahead position even if the steering geometry is spot on. Some cars also had a clunky rack which sounded like a knock when you rock the steering wheel side to side, a well documented issue which involves dealer replacing them under warranty.

Look for a car that has the M sport plus pack if it is Pre LCi, that gives you -
bigger 370mm front discs and blue calipers
Privacy glass
HK sound system
Pro Nav (I believe)

Also see if you can find one with folding rear head rests, this was a cheap option when new but it really improves rear vision.

A lot of cars seem to have black leather so can seem dark inside a pan roof makes a huge difference

Lights are important - don't get halogens - Pre LCi cars get Xenons which are fantastic - LCi's get LED's - some say that these are a bit patchy. Having drive with both I prefer my xenons.

19" alloys are fairly standard and unfortunately the all come with run flats in a staggered set up. wheels are diamond cut so will suffer at some time with the dreaded 'white worm' corrosion, so look closely and get the dealer to change them if that is the case. At BMW end of warranty inspections a lot of us have had wheels replaced FOC due to this.

Good luck in your search.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #8
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscoob View Post
330d s drive, better than a lot but does have issues depending on where / how you drive.

The 6 pot is far superior than the 4 in terms of noise / driveability, more refined and much more mid range grunt.

Overall mine has been very good, bought with 9k miles & now on 63K, no real issues, regularly serviced & nothing has fallen off !! and it is a pre LCi

My journeys tend to be a real mix of motorway / country road / some town & my car shows an average of 42mpg - I use the power available often. I have had 51mpg once but that was on 50miles of B roads in traffic.

On the question of B and lesser quality roads the standard M sport suspension can be bouncy and doesn't make for great handling, it struggles when you're 'driving' it to keep everything sharp and focused. Other roads no problems.

Steering (as its electric power assisted) can feel a bit vague in the dead ahead position even if the steering geometry is spot on. Some cars also had a clunky rack which sounded like a knock when you rock the steering wheel side to side, a well documented issue which involves dealer replacing them under warranty.

Look for a car that has the M sport plus pack if it is Pre LCi, that gives you -
bigger 370mm front discs and blue calipers
Privacy glass
HK sound system
Pro Nav (I believe)

Also see if you can find one with folding rear head rests, this was a cheap option when new but it really improves rear vision.

A lot of cars seem to have black leather so can seem dark inside a pan roof makes a huge difference

Lights are important - don't get halogens - Pre LCi cars get Xenons which are fantastic - LCi's get LED's - some say that these are a bit patchy. Having drive with both I prefer my xenons.

19" alloys are fairly standard and unfortunately the all come with run flats in a staggered set up. wheels are diamond cut so will suffer at some time with the dreaded 'white worm' corrosion, so look closely and get the dealer to change them if that is the case. At BMW end of warranty inspections a lot of us have had wheels replaced FOC due to this.

Good luck in your search.
M Sport + gave upgraded wheels, brakes, privacy glass, xenons/LED's and HK stereo

Pro Nav was always an additional cost option, Business Nav was standard
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2119.00
      10-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #9
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
OP don't naturally assume it will all be better. I've owned three E92 over time and sold our 325i late last year. i still had use of the firms F36.

I found the steering feel in the E92 so much nicer. same with the lesser road/tyre noise. Sure the F series will leave it for dead in term of tech and kit. But it made me think just how nice the E9# are.
The steering point is very true, my F36 is nowhere near as satisfying a steer as my old E90. Much lighter and easier low speed manoeuvring, but worse elsewhere. Rukka swore that the optional steering was a big improvement on the standard. I foolishly ignored that when speccing mine...

For road noise though, I do find the 440i streets ahead of the E90 320d at motorway speeds. It could be that a more significant part of that than I realise is down to losing the diesel drone vs. a petrol six.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:18 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
The steering point is very true, my F36 is nowhere near as satisfying a steer as my old E90. Much lighter and easier low speed manoeuvring, but worse elsewhere. Rukka swore that the optional steering was a big improvement on the standard. I foolishly ignored that when speccing mine...

For road noise though, I do find the 440i streets ahead of the E90 320d at motorway speeds. It could be that a more significant part of that than I realise is down to losing the diesel drone vs. a petrol six.
I don't think you can compare a 4 series. My 435d was a better steer and ride to the 330d. If you're talking of the variable steering. I have it on my M240 and hate it.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 04:22 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Quote:

I don't think you can compare a 4 series. My 435d was a better steer and ride to the 330d. If you're talking of the variable steering. I have it on my M240 and hate it.
I thought you were comparing F36 with your E9x? Not to worry though, definitely find mine worse.

Yes, VSS was the thing - does seem to be marmite. I haven't driven a car with it to compare.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:23 AM   #12
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I guess the OP should drive a 335d xDrive and a 330d sDrive to make his own mind up. There is quite a difference in performance, although this does come at the expense of an mpg difference (4-5mpg). Both will feel like a rocket ship after an E91 320d though!

Since fitting ACS springs to my 335d, I have driven a fair few M Sport sDrive F30s as loan cars. In my view ACS springs more than overcome the problems with the standard suspension, and actually handle a little better than M Sport, but I guess this is quite subjective.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 07:33 AM   #13
harvs43
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I guess the OP should drive a 335d xDrive and a 330d sDrive to make his own mind up. There is quite a difference in performance, although this does come at the expense of an mpg difference (4-5mpg). Both will feel like a rocket ship after an E91 320d though!

Since fitting ACS springs to my 335d, I have driven a fair few M Sport sDrive F30s as loan cars. In my view ACS springs more than overcome the problems with the standard suspension, and actually handle a little better than M Sport, but I guess this is quite subjective.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #14
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Wow thanks for all the comments a lot to take in I'm coming from a 318i so yeah will be a huge jump performance wise. I will be looking at a BMW AUC with sub to mid 20k ideally or sub 30k +a possible extra £1k for something very special. Only time I've ever had mine in difficulty in snow & on on a muddy site access road was thanks to it being on m sport springs and getting stuck by grounding. Reading through I think the 330 will be the best fit with a niggle for maybe the 335 power just need to work out if the xdrive will be worth having and work out the running costs it will be a daily driver and will ask for nothing so needs to be a good solid car that if something crops up can just be sorted no issue ie. tyres, servicing etc. Also my area is high risk insurance thanks to German marque theft so that might rule the 335 out.
      10-09-2018, 07:52 AM   #15
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Also my area is high risk insurance thanks to German marque theft so that might rule the 335 out.
Insurance eh?

It would be remiss of me to comment on a thread without at least a token attempt at steering you into a 340i

x40i F3x models are seemingly cheap to ensure, possibly because of being quite new and not having fallen into the wrong hands yet. My 440i was way cheaper than my 320d.

The insurance saving, plus smiles-per-mile man-maths, may even make up for any economy shortfall.

Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      10-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Also my area is high risk insurance thanks to German marque theft so that might rule the 335 out.
Insurance eh?

It would be remiss of me to comment on a thread without at least a token attempt at steering you into a 340i

x40i F3x models are seemingly cheap to ensure, possibly because of being quite new and not having fallen into the wrong hands yet. My 440i was way cheaper than my 320d.

The insurance saving, plus smiles-per-mile man-maths, may even make up for any economy shortfall.
Yeah I see where your coming from tho the petrol are a bit of a stretch out the budget & the car switch is playing second fiddle to property which is the main objective and will get killed if I put anymore into just a car I am lucky I've got the budget I have, it's taken some serious ear bending I can tell you.
      10-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #17
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the comments a lot to take in I'm coming from a 318i so yeah will be a huge jump performance wise. I will be looking at a BMW AUC with sub to mid 20k ideally or sub 30k +a possible extra £1k for something very special. Only time I've ever had mine in difficulty in snow & on on a muddy site access road was thanks to it being on m sport springs and getting stuck by grounding. Reading through I think the 330 will be the best fit with a niggle for maybe the 335 power just need to work out if the xdrive will be worth having and work out the running costs it will be a daily driver and will ask for nothing so needs to be a good solid car that if something crops up can just be sorted no issue ie. tyres, servicing etc. Also my area is high risk insurance thanks to German marque theft so that might rule the 335 out.
Personally I don't think there's a need for xdrive and the mpg hit. If you decide to go sDrive the 330d is plenty quick enough, ..I actually disagree with JD6 that's there's quite a difference in performance..in real world driving there's not that much between them from rolling in the dry at legal speeds.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Make sure you do a quote on insurance before you take the plunge as you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. My F31 330d xDrive cost me over £800 for a years insurance and I'm 32, 14 years NCB, no claims, no points, low to medium risk post code. I was expecting about £500, but couldn't get anywhere near it. Rip off to be honest.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #19
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Personally I don't think there's a need for xdrive and the mpg hit. If you decide to go sDrive the 330d is plenty quick enough, ..I actually disagree with JD6 that's there's quite a difference in performance..in real world driving there's not that much between them from rolling in the dry at legal speeds.
....and if you want more power to take the supposed 258bhp of 330d up to 313bhp of a335d just get a Steinbauer tuning kit, reported to give around 320bhp. Don't confuse it with a tuning box as it is nothing like them and they do come up for sale second hand on occasions

I say supposed 258bhp as advertised, as some have had far more on rolling road.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Make sure you do a quote on insurance before you take the plunge as you may be in for an unpleasant surprise. My F31 330d xDrive cost me over £800 for a years insurance and I'm 32, 14 years NCB, no claims, no points, low to medium risk post code. I was expecting about £500, but couldn't get anywhere near it. Rip off to be honest.
Wow, I thought £350 I was paying for 435d 2018 was too much... makes me feel a bit better. 37 years and 10 years NCB. Also to add just done 8,000 miles and average MPG is at 44, so really not bad at all for 300 hp car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:02 AM   #21
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I was set on a 330d xdrive with a couple of cars to visit tomorrow but a total curve ball has cropped up a very low mileage 320d xdrive with nearly every option box ticked in a good colour combo but the real poss deal maker is that it has the Mperformace power kit fitted. So plans changed I have fitted this in the to visit list tomorrow now too.
      10-13-2018, 02:17 PM   #22
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Really long day saw a total of 3 cars but went for a mint condition late 2015 plate the 320d xdrive fully loaded Msport+ in glacier silver with black dakota the big factor was it had the ppk fitted slightly off the pace of a 330 but a lot better than the stock 320 I drove to compare when you factor in the extent of the options at £22k with under 19k on the clock it was a good call I think. Just got to wait for my pick up next Saturday.