F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > About to buy a 435d Pre LCI - Does the facelift matter after upgrades?
Studio RSR

04-09-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
Bimbam
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

About to buy a 435d Pre LCI - Does the facelift matter after upgrades?

Hi F30Post,

Just moved this to the UK forum as I think it was in the wrong place before.

From what I gather from reading other posts is most of the LCI changes can be retrofitted however steering and suspension are a bit more difficult.
Disregarding a retrofit I want to ask if a suspension upgrade on a Pre LCI 435d with xDrive and M Adaptive Suspension can ever be better or equal than one on an LCI BMW.
If I understand things correctly it shouldn't make a difference as the car can be modded to whatever feels right.
Although the Pre LCI car is old it is super low mileage and has some incredible options that you cant find on newer (used) F36s.

Any and all advice is highly appreciated as I am about to shoot the shot on this car.
£22k - BMW AUC 2015 with 20k miles - Citrine Black, Merino Leather, Extended leather (ind.), Sunroof, Adaptive Suspension, M brakes and calipers, HK Sound, Heads Up, LED Adaptive, High Beam Assist, Reversing Camera, Surround Camera, ACC, Heated Wheel, Indv. Piano Black --- Haven't seen a better specced 4 series at this price and mileage.

1) Can a pre LCI car be made to have better or equal handling and suspension to a post LCI car?
2) What would it take to do the above on an xDrive car with Adaptive Suspension (without losing the stock adaptive damper option)?
2.1) Am considering B16 Adaptive Dampers and Front and Rear ARBs at the moment. Anything else?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 02:18 PM   #2
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Not sure about the differences but unless you're doing track days don't reckon you would notice the difference between the two when doing daily driving.

You'd be better fitting a set of coilovers rather than retro fitting LCI OEM suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbam View Post
Hi F30Post,

Just moved this to the UK forum as I think it was in the wrong place before.

From what I gather from reading other posts is most of the LCI changes can be retrofitted however steering and suspension are a bit more difficult.
Disregarding a retrofit I want to ask if a suspension upgrade on a Pre LCI 435d with xDrive and M Adaptive Suspension can ever be better or equal than one on an LCI BMW.
If I understand things correctly it shouldn't make a difference as the car can be modded to whatever feels right.
Although the Pre LCI car is old it is super low mileage and has some incredible options that you cant find on newer (used) F36s.

Any and all advice is highly appreciated as I am about to shoot the shot on this car.
£22k - BMW AUC 2015 with 20k miles - Citrine Black, Merino Leather, Extended leather (ind.), Sunroof, Adaptive Suspension, M brakes and calipers, HK Sound, Heads Up, LED Adaptive, High Beam Assist, Reversing Camera, Surround Camera, ACC, Heated Wheel, Indv. Piano Black --- Haven't seen a better specced 4 series at this price and mileage.

1) Can a pre LCI car be made to have better or equal handling and suspension to a post LCI car?
2) What would it take to do the above on an xDrive car with Adaptive Suspension (without losing the stock adaptive damper option)?
2.1) Am considering B16 Adaptive Dampers and Front and Rear ARBs at the moment. Anything else?

Thanks!
Hi there.

Wow....As you describe it with color and specs, it could be my Car.
I got ACS springs on mine but Will go for a KW DDC kit. Prob later this year.
You would prob not know the difference in dd
Attached Images

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
Bimbam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Not sure about the differences but unless you're doing track days don't reckon you would notice the difference between the two when doing daily driving.

You'd be better fitting a set of coilovers rather than retro fitting LCI OEM suspension.
Was hoping this would be the case. The Bilstein ones seem to be good so will go for those when the time is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Hi there.

I looked at AUC BMW's for a few months and as soon as that spec came up I set my alarm and put the deposit on it!
What made you go with the KW DDC ones. Do they work with the EDC?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post

Was hoping this would be the case. The Bilstein ones seem to be good so will go for those when the time is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Hi there.

I looked at AUC BMW's for a few months and as soon as that spec came up I set my alarm and put the deposit on it!
What made you go with the KW DDC ones. Do they work with the EDC?
I have tried a Bilstein B16 active setup.
And it was good. But didn't last long. Aprox. 80.000km. Then the front dampers was gone.
I have a friend with active KW's and he is very pleased with them. So I thought I'd give them a try.
And yes they work with EDC, plug and play

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
Bimbam
Rep

Nice will have to read up on them too.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 05:29 PM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...f-8b969ba210fd

This one I guess, sounds a lovely car great spec, Lloyds are a good dealer group in my experience as well, as for the mods get the car drive it see what you think after a few months and adapt as you wish, as there are always trade offs when modding a car.
      04-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #8
Bimbam
Rep

That's the one. For the damper upgrades it seems to be a win win besides the cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #9
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...f-8b969ba210fd

This one I guess, sounds a lovely car great spec, Lloyds are a good dealer group in my experience as well, as for the mods get the car drive it see what you think after a few months and adapt as you wish, as there are always trade offs when modding a car.
Great spec I agree. My only concern would be a 6 year old diesel having done 19k...just over 3k a year means long term issues IMO.

Diesel BMWs like to be driven and should be given that performance!

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Great spec I agree. My only concern would be a 6 year old diesel having done 19k...just over 3k a year means long term issues IMO.

Armaan
I think that depends if it's only been used for short town journeys, or parked up a lot and used for fewer longer journeys. I looked at an '11 FFRR with 50k on it just before buying the 3 and it was a farmer's 'nice' car - he used the farm Fourtrak for any short stuff and the FFRR only did longer trips. Similarly for short journeys with my ex we'd always use her Fabia and my cars would be used on longer journeys. I totally take the point though that it's difficult to know unless you actually speak to the original owner.
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      04-10-2021, 01:54 AM   #11
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:

Armaan
I think that depends if it's only been used for short town journeys, or parked up a lot and used for fewer longer journeys. I looked at an '11 FFRR with 50k on it just before buying the 3 and it was a farmer's 'nice' car - he used the farm Fourtrak for any short stuff and the FFRR only did longer trips. Similarly for short journeys with my ex we'd always use her Fabia and my cars would be used on longer journeys. I totally take the point though that it's difficult to know unless you actually speak to the original owner.
Take your point too - very tough balance and hard to tell when it comes to AUC rather than private sale.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 02:37 AM   #12
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

If I were you I'd buy the bloody thing before someone beats you to it and you'll be regretting your hesitance.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #13
Bimbam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
If I were you I'd buy the bloody thing before someone beats you to it and you'll be regretting your hesitance.
I put the deposit down on it and will be test driving soon.

Quote:
Quote:
Take your point too - very tough balance and hard to tell when it comes to AUC rather than a private sale.
That was a bit of a worry. Looking at the history and speculating 6 years may mean two PCP agreements of 3 years. The first one took the car to about 7k then the next was to about 19k. So 1st driver didn't drive it often and the second driver was at about 4k a year. The second driver did have it on private plates hopefully meaning it was looked after. The first driver did spec it with some very nice specs for a car that they were not going to keep so similarly would hope the engine was treated how it should have been.

Do you have any idea what to look for in the test drive to identify future issues?
Appreciate 1
Rathian153.50
      04-10-2021, 04:20 PM   #14
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Quote:
Hi F30Post,

From what I gather from reading other posts is, most of the LCI changes can be retrofitted however steering and suspension are a bit more difficult.

Thanks!
What a fantastic spec. People would queue up and kill others to get it.

However, I think you'll find that the 435Xd doesn't have "M" suspension , adaptive or not. All 435Xd's of the period had the standard floaty ("Luxury model") suspension, 10mm higher than the MSport set up and seriously underdamped. I had this std. set up on my pre-LCI June '15 330Xd. ACS springs helped a bit but couldn't negate the fundamental sogginess and sluggish/heavy turn in/body roll, until the outside tyre suddenly says "OK, I've got it". My son has this car now and the difference twixt his and my std. adaptive Sdrive 440i is quite remarkable.

Summary
The spec. is awesome, just spend a couple £k's on the suspension and you'll be smiling from here to eternity.

Cheers

Q
      04-11-2021, 01:59 AM   #15
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

The LCI had the following changes:

New Chassis setup for significantly improved steering, braking and handling
New, stiffer Front Strut Towers
New Rear Damper Technology
New Electric power steering
Enhanced Steptronic Automatic Transmission
5 Suspension Anchor Points vs. 3
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 05:57 AM   #16
Armaan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I put the deposit down on it and will be test driving soon.

Quote:
Quote:
Take your point too - very tough balance and hard to tell when it comes to AUC rather than a private sale.
That was a bit of a worry. Looking at the history and speculating 6 years may mean two PCP agreements of 3 years. The first one took the car to about 7k then the next was to about 19k. So 1st driver didn't drive it often and the second driver was at about 4k a year. The second driver did have it on private plates hopefully meaning it was looked after. The first driver did spec it with some very nice specs for a car that they were not going to keep so similarly would hope the engine was treated how it should have been.

Do you have any idea what to look for in the test drive to identify future issues?
I don't think a private plate would indicate they looked after it - cheaper to stick on a car than to retain on paper for instance.

It's pretty much a catch 22 as above - has it been used for longer journeys or shorter? No idea. Has the first or second driver done such low mileage because it's just used to pop to do the weekly shop or longer weekend travel? No idea.

That's the risk with dealer sale and I don't think there is any real tell tale sign, you'll just encounter problems down the line, but who knows to what extent...

Personally I'd not buy a 6 year old diesel with 20k on the clock without knowing more about the history.

Armaan
Appreciate 0