F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > What are your favourite car wash products?
ARMA SPEED

04-20-2020, 12:53 PM   #23
lufc1992uk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Adams car shampoo is the best for washing, chemical guys products aren't anything special, they're just good at marketing...

although their foam cannon products are great.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #24
Fareed2997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i M sport

Car Shampoo: Adam's Mega foam is a game changer,

-also good shampoos: chemical guys glossworkz and citris wash and gloss

Wheel cleaner: Adams wheel cleaner

Tools: Mits, towels, brush: chemical guys

Interior leather: Chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner

Tire shine: Meguiar's endurance gel

Exhaust tip polish: P21 polishing soap, steel wool super fine#0000
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #25
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareed2997 View Post
Exhaust tip polish: P21 polishing soap, steel wool super fine#0000
I forgot about exhaust tips. Good call.

For a more gentle approach to the tips I found Eagle One Nevr-Dull works great.

If serious polishing is needed I use 0000 steel wool and Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. I've heard good things about the P21Ss product, but my Mothers tub of polish will probably out last me since so little product is needed. I've never had a chance to use anything else.

Last edited by Desertnate; 03-29-2021 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:39 AM   #26
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I use almost exclusively auto finesse stuff they have a great range and not too pricey plus they can normally have it to you the next day, I do have a few other bits I have a Gtechniq wash mitt and Wheel Woolies a bit expensive but do the job better than anything I have used before, for wax I use bilt hamber as I have found its best value for money wax in terms of longevity for price, it does get addicting though I find myself ordering bits and pieces all the time I don't wanna know how much I've spent this year alone

Matt.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 03:34 AM   #27
harimvk
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series, 2019

Nanolex Reactivating Shampoo

Nanolex Reactivating Wash & Protect Shampoo is also a very nice shampoo designed to clean and protect car in a single, easy step. While washing your car, the advanced formula reactivates protective layers and refreshes them.
Water beading is also excellent.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #28
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I just started using Meguiars Hyperwash and I really like it.

It seems to have all the same characteristics of the Optimum Car Wash I liked, but it also seems to clean a little better and wash off a little easier. Also, since it's more concentrated, I only need 1.5oz per 5 gallon bucket vs 2oz, so it should last a little longer as well.
      04-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #29
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

I have a ton of different Adam’s products that I like, but I bought Blackfire Wash and Wax and the SiO2 Wheel Seal and absolutely love them. The wheel seal makes cleaning wheels that much easier by making them super slick and I use Adam’s Wheel Cleaner to clean them. I used to use Adam’s VRT, but found Chemical Guys tire coating (forgot the name, but similar product to Adam’s VRT) was so much cheaper with the same results.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #30
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I have been practising and interested in detailing for quite some years now and the two main things I learned are:
- There is an infinite number of car detailing products... it is actually shocking. I would never imagine there is so much market for it. Noone, not even car detailing pros and detailing communities, can ever test all
- There is no universal "best" product in any category

If we take Shampoos for example. You'd think it's simple - a shampoo is supposed to wash off dirt, how hard can it be to find the best?
Ok:
- Do you have wax or coating on your car? That would limit the acceptable pH and generally limit the choice of acceptable shampoos and define how to use them. You wouldn't want your shampoo to strip off your wax, would you!
- Do you want it to foam and how much?
- Is smell important?
- Are you applying it using 2-Bucket wash system or other method?
- Do you have a glossy vehicle or matte?
- Are you looking for it to contain fillers and enhance the gloss?
- Should it contain wax?
- How important is price?

Now please someone tell me - Which shampoo is universally "the best"!?

I do however like Chemical Guys' shampoos. I find they have a well balanced combination of qualities and a nice variety. That however doesn't mean there aren't many other equally good or even better products out there...!
      04-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #31
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I have been practising and interested in detailing for quite some years now and the two main things I learned are:
- There is an infinite number of car detailing products... it is actually shocking. I would never imagine there is so much market for it. Noone, not even car detailing pros and detailing communities, can ever test all
- There is no universal "best" product in any category

If we take Shampoos for example. You'd think it's simple - a shampoo is supposed to wash off dirt, how hard can it be to find the best?
Ok:
- Do you have wax or coating on your car? That would limit the acceptable pH and generally limit the choice of acceptable shampoos and define how to use them. You wouldn't want your shampoo to strip off your wax, would you!
- Do you want it to foam and how much?
- Is smell important?
- Are you applying it using 2-Bucket wash system or other method?
- Do you have a glossy vehicle or matte?
- Are you looking for it to contain fillers and enhance the gloss?
- Should it contain wax?
- How important is price?

Now please someone tell me - Which shampoo is universally "the best"!?

I do however like Chemical Guys' shampoos. I find they have a well balanced combination of qualities and a nice variety. That however doesn't mean there aren't many other equally good or even better products out there...!
I like chemicals guys too. I have a number of their products and have not been disappointed. I have also found that Adams and Optimum products are very good. But as you said there are way too many products out there. I think in the end we all find one that works for us based on the many parameters you and others pointed out above and in the end that product becomes the favorite.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Never had any Adams product. Never seen one sold locally either.

I have however been disappointed from one Chemical Guys product - their "Microfiber Wash" is mediocre....
      04-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #33
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I haven't moved on to the boutique online washes yet...I may try one someday, read very good things about ONR.

But currently, I still grab stuff that's available on the local parts shelf. I used to pretty much just buy whatever, I figured that the soap's only job was to get the dirt off, the actual shine came from whatever wax you used. Over time though, I found that the soap really does make a difference. And of what's widely available, I've found that Meguiar's Gold Class really does an exceptional job. Brings a rich, deep shine out of the paint and stays that way for longer. Spots less than other washes, too.

It is garage kept, but hasn't been washed in a week. You'd never know...

Leather products...now, that's a different story. I keep a standing order with Zaino.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #34
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never had any Adams product. Never seen one sold locally either.

I have however been disappointed from one Chemical Guys product - their "Microfiber Wash" is mediocre....
I have noticed that some of the micro fiber cleaning or drying cloths or towels are hit or miss too. I have settled on a few that seem to really work for cleaning out multiple vehicles.

On a separate note, I purchased the CF tips for my MPPSK. You were right they look great. Looks perfect on my silver car. Also as noted super easy to put on. Cleaned and stored my silver tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #35
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Congrats!
In that regard - maintaining them clean is appreciably easier if you ceramic-coat them
Did that less than an year ago.
      04-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #36
Bimbam
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

Another vote for Bilt Hamber on this side of the pond. Super effective, quality and price.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #37
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats!
In that regard - maintaining them clean is appreciably easier if you ceramic-coat them
Did that less than an year ago.
Thanks, I did coat them with a hybrid ceramic product before I put them on (from Chemical Guys). So hopefully that will help. I use the same product on the car. This stuff seems to last for at least 6 months through Louisiana Rain and Sun.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #38
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Good man!! I wasn't as smart to do that from the beginning.
Remember though that your exhaust reaches slightly different temperatures than the rest of the vehicle exteriors the carbon tips are probably still within margins, but the hot metal underneath may shorten the life of your ceramic coating. I used ceramic coating for wheels and breaks, assuming it will last longer on the hot exhaust.
      04-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #39
ANONYMOUS 4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i M-Sport

Duragloss 901 Car Wash Concentrate is great in my opinion and I have tried many others but keep going back to Duragloss
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 10:40 PM   #40
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
I just gotta pop back in again to praise Meguiar’s Gold Class...

Washed this evening and microfiber dried, but that’s it. This car had a ceramic type wax that I applied in January, but nothing except washes since then.

You’d think I’d spent more than 30 minutes on it.

Stuff is great!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:31 PM   #41
Bdub440i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

What do you all think about the foam products in comparison to a normal wash/wax? I have a pressure washer and like to use a foam cannon. I haven't tried a "snow" or foam specific type yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #42
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Bdub440i

A proper wash includes both! It is not either-or!

1. you use foam (using a foam cannon or sprayer), you let it stay for 3-5 min and you wash thoroughly with the power-washer (no touching!). This step usually removes the 90% of the dirt and makes the mechanical washing thereafter significantly safer.

If it is winter or the car wasn't that dirty, you can stop there as well - that's my contact-less washing procedure.

2. You do a 2-bucket wash with shampoo.

So you can do step 1 only, or step 1 and step 2. But Step 2 in isolation is not recommendable.
      06-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #43
Bdub440i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Oh for sure 100% agree with you. I was speaking more about the actual soap/foam/snow product not the process.
      06-23-2021, 01:47 PM   #44
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I have a favourite - Bilt Hamber Auto-Foam.
Does a great job.
But you need to get the impact ratio right, otherwise it may jeopardise your wax or coating.