F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Revs Drop on cold start driving
ARMA SPEED

04-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #1
cspinnnn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Xdrive Sportline

Revs Drop on cold start driving

Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this issue I've been experiencing for a little while with my N20.

I've noticed that when starting my car for the first time in the AM I'm experiencing a bit of a Rev issue. As soon as I let it idle down to 800 RPM and I put it in drive my car acts weird.

It's okay to drive but as soon as I hit a stop sign and come to a complete stop I notice my RPMs come to a sudden drop from 1000 to 3-500 RPMs.

It really shakes my car and feels like it's about to stall but catches itself just at the right time. This only happens for the first 5 mins and then it's fine for the rest of the day.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

For maintenance, my injectors are brand new, hpfp was done maybe 3000 kms ago, spark plugs are all brand new, new fuel rail pressure sensor, new vanos actuators. So I'm not too sure of what it can be
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 07:15 AM   #2
Rockinryan2424
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspinnnn View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this issue I've been experiencing for a little while with my N20.

I've noticed that when starting my car for the first time in the AM I'm experiencing a bit of a Rev issue. As soon as I let it idle down to 800 RPM and I put it in drive my car acts weird.

It's okay to drive but as soon as I hit a stop sign and come to a complete stop I notice my RPMs come to a sudden drop from 1000 to 3-500 RPMs.

It really shakes my car and feels like it's about to stall but catches itself just at the right time. This only happens for the first 5 mins and then it's fine for the rest of the day.

For maintenance, my injectors are brand new, hpfp was done maybe 3000 kms ago, spark plugs are all brand new, new fuel rail pressure sensor, new vanos actuators. So I'm not too sure of what it can be
I would check your o2 sensors and cats, seems like when it gets up to temp it's ok just cold starts and cold driving just a thought tho. Good luck
      04-28-2021, 12:26 AM   #3
cspinnnn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinryan2424 View Post
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I would check your o2 sensors and cats, seems like when it gets up to temp it's ok just cold starts and cold driving just a thought tho. Good luck
I'll give it a try, thanks so much!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
Dulat
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420i xDrive

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Have you found out the solution for this?
Im having a similar issue with my N20 too, like when i start the car for the first time rpms floats from 800 to 1300 for a half minute or so, then it becomes normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Could it be a potentially dirty MAF sensor? Just thinking out loud here.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 01:20 AM   #6
cspinnnn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Hey Everyone,

So I reset my adaptions on BM3 and turns out it fixed the issue. Hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
Dulat
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 420i xDrive

Also want to add
Ive noticed when i start the car with AC turned off it goes normally, rpms floats only when it starts with AC on. Idk what's the reason behind, but at least it worked for me
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:53 PM   #8
cspinnnn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulat View Post
Also want to add
Ive noticed when i start the car with AC turned off it goes normally, rpms floats only when it starts with AC on. Idk what's the reason behind, but at least it worked for me
That's happened to me as well. Pretty weird🤷🏻*♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:28 PM   #9
razcat13
Rep
Drives: BMW f30

have you had problems with the idling drop before?
Appreciate 0