F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > I got an engine oil/filter change for free, how is this possible?
ARMA SPEED

10-30-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
sinopath
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i(x) convertible

I got an engine oil/filter change for free, how is this possible?

I have always believed that the routine maintenance is covered under the 4-year free maintenance program which is NOT transferable. And I bought my BMW used. Today I sent my 4 series for the annual service at the dealer, and I was told everything is covered under the warranty (warranty? ), I don't have to pay anything. The service include engine oil and filter change. If I didn't come today, my inherited factory warranty would expire tomorrow. I'm pleased but also puzzled, how is oil/filter change a warranty item? What does the maintenance program cover that's excluded from the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Warranty is probably not the correct term. BMW provided free maintenance programs for the first x miles/x years. We had brake pads, wiper blades, cabin & engine filters, brake fluid & oil changes covered.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Warranty is probably not the correct term. BMW provided free maintenance programs for the first x miles/x years. We had brake pads, wiper blades, cabin & engine filters, brake fluid & oil changes covered.
Yes but this is non-transferrable. OP probably just got lucky as perhaps the owner information/transfer was not yet updated.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #4
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yes but this is non-transferrable. OP probably just got lucky as perhaps the owner information/transfer was not yet updated.
Actually, this is not true. The free maintenance stays with the car for the first 4 years after the delivery date or 80,000KM in Canada at least ( this only applies to NEW vehicle warranty not extended. Owner does not matter. As an example my 2016 435i & 2016 F83 were bought from two different dealers and both with a bit less than a year of the factory warranty remaning. I was able to take advantage of it till the factory warranty balance expired.
'16 435i - CTS Turbo FBO Catless DP,FMIC,CP & Intake / PR Ignition Kit / BM3 stage 2 E30+ / TPC Stage 2+ Hybrid Turbo / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV Black Plumb / Dorch Stage 2 HPFP / Mst V2 Turbo Inlet / xHP Stage 3

Last edited by randyf32; 11-03-2020 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 12:20 AM   #5
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf32 View Post
Actually, this is not true. The free maintenance stays with the car for the first 4 years after the delivery date or 80,000KM in Canada at least ( this only applies to NEW vehicle warranty not extended. Owner does not matter. As an example my 2016 435i & 2016 F83 were bought from two different dealers and both with a bit less than a year of the factory warranty remaning. I was able to take advantage of it till the factory warranty balance expired.
Not true in U.S., though, unfortuntately. I bought my car CPO, which extended the standard warranty for an additional year and unlimited miles, meaning i had a 5 year warranty from date original owner purchased car. However, the maintenance is for the original owner only, and its not transferrable to any subsequent owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 04:38 AM   #6
randyf32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435I

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Not true in U.S., though, unfortuntately. I bought my car CPO, which extended the standard warranty for an additional year and unlimited miles, meaning i had a 5 year warranty from date original owner purchased car. However, the maintenance is for the original owner only, and its not transferrable to any subsequent owners.
Damn, in case of OP he is a Canadian which explains his outcome. Pretty dumb how they don't honor the same terms but for reference, I emailed BMW Canada actually to confirm this earlier this year this was the exact response I received.

"Thank you for contacting BMW Canada.

Congratulations on the purchase of your BMW! I am pleased to inform you that like the BMW Manufacture warranty, the BMW complimentary maintenance plan is considered a feature of the vehicle, and as such it will transfer automatically to the new owner each time the vehicle is sold. There is no process necessary to transfer the maintenance plan. We hope you find this information helpful."
'16 435i - CTS Turbo FBO Catless DP,FMIC,CP & Intake / PR Ignition Kit / BM3 stage 2 E30+ / TPC Stage 2+ Hybrid Turbo / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV Black Plumb / Dorch Stage 2 HPFP / Mst V2 Turbo Inlet / xHP Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:57 PM   #7
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Am in the UK but when I purchased my car the remaining 5 year service plan and remainder of the 3 year warranty transferred with the car. So I had a load of warranty work done before it expired and the last regular service was also done free of charge.
Appreciate 0