F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2015 f30 335 hu entry to hu nbt
GetBMWParts

03-15-2018, 08:14 PM   #1
Jwexperience
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive

2015 f30 335 hu entry to hu nbt

Hi, I’ve done a bunch of looking around on here and I’m still a little confused. I currently have a 6.5” unit with no navigation and basic IDrive controller. I just purchased a used hu nbt screen, Head unit, IDrive controller, gps antenna and video cable from a 2015 model year f30. Do I need an emulator or can I just code this after install? I’ve read where the emulators were used but also saw comments stating that it wasn’t needed.
Secondly, what should I use for coding? Bimmercode or I think the other I read was esys? I found obd2 connnectors with WiFi for $30 on Amazon, that should work correct? I may consider paying for remote coding depending on price but don’t think doing it myself would be difficult and would also give me the option to do more coding after I learn it a little.
I’ve build custom motorcycles from the ground up but the electronics side is a little more confusing to me. Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwexperience View Post
Hi, I’ve done a bunch of looking around on here and I’m still a little confused. I currently have a 6.5” unit with no navigation and basic IDrive controller. I just purchased a used hu nbt screen, Head unit, IDrive controller, gps antenna and video cable from a 2015 model year f30. Do I need an emulator or can I just code this after install? I’ve read where the emulators were used but also saw comments stating that it wasn’t needed.
Secondly, what should I use for coding? Bimmercode or I think the other I read was esys? I found obd2 connnectors with WiFi for $30 on Amazon, that should work correct? I may consider paying for remote coding depending on price but donÂ’t think doing it myself would be difficult and would also give me the option to do more coding after I learn it a little.
IÂ’ve build custom motorcycles from the ground up but the electronics side is a little more confusing to me. Thanks for any input.
You need either an FSC code or emulator to enable features on the headunit that cannot be coded using ESYS. The reason emulators are popular is because they are / were cheaper than FSC codes.

I say we're cheaper as I got a FSC code for £100 on eBay albeit the emulator may enable more features? The code also activated map updates FOC.

One definite advantage FSC codes have over emulator cable is that they don't get in the way of the headunit when installing it...

I would email bimmercode and ask them if the app has the programming capabilities to retrofit NBT. I use it but not for retrofit but for tweaking as it is more convenient than ESYS.

First time I retrofitted I coded it myself the second time I paid for it not that it made much difference - just less hassle.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Jwexperience
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikko View Post
You need either an FSC code or emulator to enable features on the headunit that cannot be coded using ESYS. The reason emulators are popular is because they are / were cheaper than FSC codes.

I say we're cheaper as I got a FSC code for £100 on eBay albeit the emulator may enable more features? The code also activated map updates FOC.

One definite advantage FSC codes have over emulator cable is that they don't get in the way of the headunit when installing it...

I would email bimmercode and ask them if the app has the programming capabilities to retrofit NBT. I use it but not for retrofit but for tweaking as it is more convenient than ESYS.

First time I retrofitted I coded it myself the second time I paid for it not that it made much difference - just less hassle.
Thanks for the reply... what are fsc codes?
I messaged one of the retrofit suppliers from eBay and they advised that it should be plug and play plus some coding. They also stated that emulators would be worthless to me...no further explanation. Thanks again for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 04:07 AM   #4
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwexperience View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the reply... what are fsc codes?
I messaged one of the retrofit suppliers from eBay and they advised that it should be plug and play plus some coding. They also stated that emulators would be worthless to me...no further explanation. Thanks again for the reply.
I cannot reply to specifics on the nbt you are buying except to say the seller may have FSC coded it to your vehicle or flashed it to virgin status if no emulator is required. Did they ask for your VIN when they sold it to you?

FSC codes are issued by bmw to activate features on your car or bypass MOST lock (anti theft security).

Have you tried to install it yet and see what happened?

Edit that - was the seller who told you no emulator was required talking about the one you bought or in general?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
Jwexperience
Rep

Quote:
I cannot reply to specifics on the nbt you are buying except to say the seller may have FSC coded it to your vehicle or flashed it to virgin status if no emulator is required. Did they ask for your VIN when they sold it to you?

FSC codes are issued by bmw to activate features on your car or bypass MOST lock (anti theft security).

Have you tried to install it yet and see what happened?

Edit that - was the seller who told you no emulator was required talking about the one you bought or in general?
They were speaking in general. I have not installed it yet, I’m trying to figure out everything necessary to make it work before I start. Any idea how I go about activating this HU for my vehicle?
They were probably stating that I didn’t need an emulator because they figured I would be buying from them and they could activate it. I did not specify to the eBay seller that I had purchased from someone else and the person I bought it from was not able to tell me what was needed for install other than coding “probably”.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

There a couple of really good threads on retrofitting nbt (knightsabres / kitster wrote a lot on this forum) but the first question is what head unit do you currently have and year of car / NBT as this will dictate requirements.

I haven't coded using esys in ages or I could have given you the nbt coding cheat sheet..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Jwexperience
Rep

Quote:
There a couple of really good threads on retrofitting nbt (knightsabres / kitster wrote a lot on this forum) but the first question is what head unit do you currently have and year of car / NBT as this will dictate requirements.

I haven't coded using esys in ages or I could have given you the nbt coding cheat sheet..
I’m not sure what head unit I have other than it’s the 6.5” screen without nav. My car is a 2015 335i. The unit I bought was nbt hu. Is it possible to know what my head unit is without pulling it out of the dash?
I was also thinking of using the screen only if I have entry nav but not sure at all how many more features I would gain or if I should just do the whole nbt install while I’m at it. I know nothing about fsc codes and haven’t found much info on it yet.
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

FSC codes are BMW issued codes to enable specific features in your car that are security locked.

For example servotronic steering requires an FSC code to be activated depending upon your cars equipment / year. In the U.K. it costs £450 to obtain the code and activate it.

The FSC code for NBT used to be something ridiculous like £1000 from bmw. Emulator cables cost £100 so are a more cost effective option. They fool the car into thinking that the car VIN code and head unit vin codes match to enable features otherwise locked. If you email this guy he may be able to do a code version so you don't need an fsc or emulator -

aqib333@live.co.uk

NBT depending on version gets you split screen / 20gb HDD for music, better looking screen, voice controls amongst other features.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh looking at your spec it is the easiest upgrade route as you have no Satnav and no combox.

You will need a GPS antenna which can be hidden inside the dash and you may need to rotate the USB in the centre console 180 degrees.

Everything else just plugs and plays on EU models.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
Jwexperience
Rep

Quote:
Oh looking at your spec it is the easiest upgrade route as you have no Satnav and no combox.

You will need a GPS antenna which can be hidden inside the dash and you may need to rotate the USB in the centre console 180 degrees.

Everything else just plugs and plays on EU models.
So I contact that guy for the coding and just install the parts? Thanks a lot for your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #11
Jwexperience
Rep

I lifted to floor in my trunk and found a black box on the drivers side next to my fuses and about the same size as the fuse box. Looks like it has a video cable going into it and another blue cable. Is that a combox?
I tried to upload a pic but it said the file was too large.
Appreciate 0