F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 H&K Amp install for underseat subs - with remote wire DIY
Extreme Powerhouse

10-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
F30 H&K Amp install for underseat subs - with remote wire DIY

Hey all,

I wanted to make this post to show off my amp install and document some issues I ran into with the LOC that technic PnP provided with the LOC-XQ kit.

Back in february, I upgraded my underseat subs to the bavsound ghost kit. Even with this upgrade, I never really felt like I had enough bass. I also couldn't stand the bass roll-off from the L7/H&K amp... it just dies off and the super low notes from my drum and bass were too quiet.

I ended up grabbing a harness from technic PnP - the kit is pretty straight forward, but requires some experience with crimping cables. I won't go into detail with how to connect the harness and wiring to the line out converter

The bavsound subs for the H&K system are rated at 100 watts and are 8 ohm. I ended up overshooting this originally and grabbed an alpine MRV-M500 - rated at 500 watts at 2 ohm and 300 watts at 4 ohm. By cabling both 8 ohm subwoofers into the same output from the amp, you end up with a 4 ohm load.

The result was way too much power. At minimum gain on the LOC and AMP, it was just right, maybe a little too loud. This wasn't how I wanted to run the system, so I ended up ordering an MRV-M250 - rated at 250 watts @ 2ohm. Ironically, both amps were about the same price on amazon despite the large wattage difference.

Another issue was the LOC that was provided from technic PnP. It is a wavtech audio LineQ. It is a well built LOC, it definitely feels quality. However, it is set up to trigger the remote wire to the amp by detecting the bass signal from the PnP harness. The issue with this, is that at low volume or in sections of songs with little to no bass, the LOC does not stay on, resulting in no bass whatsoever. I contacted both technic and wavtech, and was told I would need to run a remote wire to the LOC.

After some research, I discovered a good fuse in the trunk that is only active while the car is on or running. Perfect for the LOC/amp! The alternative is to run the remote wire to the rear cigarette lighter, but that circuit stays active for a few minutes after shutting the car off and locking it. I wanted to put as little drain on my battery as possible.

Here is the rear fuse box:

The fuse we're going to use is fuse 146. The fuse diagram for my car indicates this is either for homelink or the PDC system.

I've highlighted the fuse:

To remove the fuse box, you need a 10mm socket (assuming you haven't lost yours yet).

Here are the wires going to fuse 146 from the bottom. They are both green with a yellow stripe:

I then isolated this wire and used a tap splice (18-14 gauge) to tap the power from the wire and ran my remote wire to the LOC:

Remote wire ran to the LOC:

The finished result looks ok. I succeeded in keeping all of this out of sight under the trunk floor cover - which was my main concern.

I hope this helps someone who is considering doing this!
Appreciate 2
      10-26-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
I upgraded my underseat subs to the bavsound ghost kit. Even with this upgrade, I never really felt like I had enough bass.
The main limitation on what the under seat woofers can do in both low frequency extension and maximum output is the size of the enclosures. It doesn't matter what you use for drivers or amps, you can only get so much out of those small enclosures. If you want to get a significantly better result a separately powered trunk mounted sub is the only way to get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
While that may be true, I was able to get enough out of them with this aftermarket amp to make me happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Just as an FYI - there is no need to go to all the trouble of removing the fuse block & tapping into wires below the fuse

You can use a simple fuse tap that includes original fuse for the circuit + additional piggyback fuse for the circuit you are adding. They make them in several different fuse styles

F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I will soon be installing similar setup using the new Technic harness w/LOC-X-XQ except I am using:
  • JL Audio XD500/3v2 amp
  • 10W3V3-2 - JL Audio 10" 500 Watt 2 Ohm Subwoofer
  • Musicar 10" Custom Trunk Sub Enclosure
  • Bavsound Ghost Underseats

Amp will power underseats to 75W RMS x 2 @ 4ohms + the 10" sub to 300W RMS x 1 @ 2ohm

I will have to test out the issue you had with using the REM Sensing wire on the new LOC. If this is true in all cases it's kinda disheartening as he touted this as one of the great features of the new LOC he is selling vs. the old Audiocontrol LC2i
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      10-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
While that may be true, I was able to get enough out of them with this aftermarket amp to make me happy.
Good enough, but the stock drivers might have worked just as well. Only by taking response and maximum SPL measurements of the two can you be sure. I could be sure without doing that if I knew the Theile/Small specs of the Ghosts, but they're nowhere to be found.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I could be sure without doing that if I knew the Theile/Small specs of the Ghosts, but they're nowhere to be found.
I noticed that as well, I tried to do a bunch of research on them before buying, but I ended up impulse buying them.

1QuikWS6 - You're absolutely right. I would have done that if I had not been in a rush, and I already had some of those tap splices handy, so I just decided to use what I had.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sapphire Black 435 GC

Any updates on the LOC-X sensing issues? I really want to go this route. I have a 10w6 ready to hook up just trying to talk myself into buying the 1000/5 to power it and the underseat woofers.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #9
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335JTSD View Post
Any updates on the LOC-X sensing issues? I really want to go this route. I have a 10w6 ready to hook up just trying to talk myself into buying the 1000/5 to power it and the underseat woofers.
Nothing new to report, running the trigger wire solved the issue for me - I will not be pursuing a fix for the signal sensing on the LOC-X.

If you haven't bought the harness yet, you might want to grab the add a sub harness without a LOC and buy yourself an LC2i, maybe that will have better signal sensing?
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      11-07-2018, 04:46 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
LC2i uses Remote Turn On wire not signal sensing - that was one of the main reasons to go with the new LOC as it supposedly HAS Signal Sensing

Kinda defeats the purpose if it doesn't work reliably...

But I can't say for sure as I still haven't had a chance to install mine
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      11-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Can I still purchase from him the adapters for the underseat woofers if just get the add a sub and get my own LOC? I don't see that listed separately and only see with the LOC-X package for $150-$175. Not all that much information on the website.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Can I still purchase from him the adapters for the underseat woofers if just get the add a sub and get my own LOC? I don't see that listed separately and only see with the LOC-X package for $150-$175. Not all that much information on the website.
Harness without LOC is right beside the one with LOC on his site

https://technicpnp.com/product/logic...sub-t-harness/

and the underseat adapters are listed directly below that

https://technicpnp.com/product/sws-8...er-connectors/

Seems easy to navigate to me

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 11-07-2018 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      11-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My bad, I don't know what I was thinking those were different than in the kit. Thank you for clarifying for me
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61618.50
      11-07-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
LC2i uses Remote Turn On wire not signal sensing - that was one of the main reasons to go with the new LOC as it supposedly HAS Signal Sensing

Oh, didn't realize the lc2i didn't have signal sensing, that's my b.

335jtsd: you can add your own LOC, but you have to make sure it can handle up to 30-40V input.
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      11-30-2018, 08:39 PM   #15
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone have suggestions on which kit to buy from Technic? I was planning on getting a remote bass knob for my JL Audio amp so not sure if I need the LOC-XQ. Thanks!

LOC-XD : Gain adjustment, signal clipping indicator
LOC-XQ : Remote Gain Knob with 16′ cable, signal clipping indicator, Bass Boost/EQ/Frequency adjustments
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #16
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

Any updates on the install? Thoughts on the LOC-X vs. LC2i?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone have suggestions on which kit to buy from Technic? I was planning on getting a remote bass knob for my JL Audio amp so not sure if I need the LOC-XQ. Thanks!

LOC-XD : Gain adjustment, signal clipping indicator
LOC-XQ : Remote Gain Knob with 16′ cable, signal clipping indicator, Bass Boost/EQ/Frequency adjustments
I contacted Elias (Technic) with same question, his answer:

'This gain knob adjust the gain at the LOC, so you can use it to control the input level of your JL amp -the JL amp gain must be adjusted and set to your liking to then use the LOC knob as your main level control. If you use the JL knob then you will have to adjust the gain of the LOC to match the JL amp knob adjustment - the same adjustment but at the LOC. Same result, different knob.'

I opted to get the knob on the LOC (LOC-XQ) instead of having to buy yet another separate item

Quote:
Any updates on the install? Thoughts on the LOC-X vs. LC2i?
I won't be doing my install till Spring now. Car is kept outside during Winter as my garage is full of other 'toys'
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      12-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #18
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Awesome thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
Boostinwithfish
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Quote:
Hey all,

I wanted to make this post to show off my amp install and document some issues I ran into with the LOC that technic PnP provided with the LOC-XQ kit.

Back in february, I upgraded my underseat subs to the bavsound ghost kit. Even with this upgrade, I never really felt like I had enough bass. I also couldn't stand the bass roll-off from the L7/H&K amp... it just dies off and the super low notes from my drum and bass were too quiet.

I ended up grabbing a harness from technic PnP - the kit is pretty straight forward, but requires some experience with crimping cables. I won't go into detail with how to connect the harness and wiring to the line out converter

The bavsound subs for the H&K system are rated at 100 watts and are 8 ohm. I ended up overshooting this originally and grabbed an alpine MRV-M500 - rated at 500 watts at 2 ohm and 300 watts at 4 ohm. By cabling both 8 ohm subwoofers into the same output from the amp, you end up with a 4 ohm load.

The result was way too much power. At minimum gain on the LOC and AMP, it was just right, maybe a little too loud. This wasn't how I wanted to run the system, so I ended up ordering an MRV-M250 - rated at 250 watts @ 2ohm. Ironically, both amps were about the same price on amazon despite the large wattage difference.

Another issue was the LOC that was provided from technic PnP. It is a wavtech audio LineQ. It is a well built LOC, it definitely feels quality. However, it is set up to trigger the remote wire to the amp by detecting the bass signal from the PnP harness. The issue with this, is that at low volume or in sections of songs with little to no bass, the LOC does not stay on, resulting in no bass whatsoever. I contacted both technic and wavtech, and was told I would need to run a remote wire to the LOC.

After some research, I discovered a good fuse in the trunk that is only active while the car is on or running. Perfect for the LOC/amp! The alternative is to run the remote wire to the rear cigarette lighter, but that circuit stays active for a few minutes after shutting the car off and locking it. I wanted to put as little drain on my battery as possible.

Here is the rear fuse box:

The fuse we're going to use is fuse 146. The fuse diagram for my car indicates this is either for homelink or the PDC system.

I've highlighted the fuse:

To remove the fuse box, you need a 10mm socket (assuming you haven't lost yours yet).

Here are the wires going to fuse 146 from the bottom. They are both green with a yellow stripe:

I then isolated this wire and used a tap splice (18-14 gauge) to tap the power from the wire and ran my remote wire to the LOC:

Remote wire ran to the LOC:

The finished result looks ok. I succeeded in keeping all of this out of sight under the trunk floor cover - which was my main concern.

I hope this helps someone who is considering doing this!
Thanks bro this made finding a remote easy
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #20
BMW_340
(formerly sp330i)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

What's the contraption to the left of your fuse box? I don't have that in my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp330i View Post
What's the contraption to the left of your fuse box? I don't have that in my car.
I believe that's the telematic control box.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0