F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech Released CarPlay/Android Auto MMI Plus / Prime
Extreme Powerhouse

09-30-2019, 02:09 AM   #89
rishabmeh3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM1984 View Post
I installed this in my 2016 X5M today and I am having the exact same GPS issues as the post above. Opened a ticket with BimmerTech tonight.
Hey guys,

I started getting super annoyed by the GPS issues so I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure it out. I took an iPhone 8 plus (ios 12.4), Xs (iOS 13.0) and 11 Pro (iOS 13.1.1) to test, and all had the same GPS problem. I installed a GPS diagnostic tool to measure the accuracy of gps.

1. Without CarPlay accuracy was about +- 6 to 9 meters
2. After connecting CarPlay accuracy dint change much
3. After playing around with Carplay / going into Maps accuracy dropped significantly today to +-30 meters++
4. After disconnecting CarPlay accuracy stabilized again to +- 6 to 9 meters

Conclusion
Although I cant be a 100%, I am 99% the head unit is sending random values in the protocol for GPS, while it should be sending no values. It should be a non-trivial, but fairly small software fix for bimmer-tech since they just have to not send any gps values in the protocol. Hope this gets fixed soon -- it's super annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #90
MM1984
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishabmeh3 View Post
Hey guys,

I started getting super annoyed by the GPS issues so I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure it out. I took an iPhone 8 plus (ios 12.4), Xs (iOS 13.0) and 11 Pro (iOS 13.1.1) to test, and all had the same GPS problem. I installed a GPS diagnostic tool to measure the accuracy of gps.

1. Without CarPlay accuracy was about +- 6 to 9 meters
2. After connecting CarPlay accuracy dint change much
3. After playing around with Carplay / going into Maps accuracy dropped significantly today to +-30 meters++
4. After disconnecting CarPlay accuracy stabilized again to +- 6 to 9 meters

Conclusion
Although I cant be a 100%, I am 99% the head unit is sending random values in the protocol for GPS, while it should be sending no values. It should be a non-trivial, but fairly small software fix for bimmer-tech since they just have to not send any gps values in the protocol. Hope this gets fixed soon -- it's super annoying.

This is very interesting, thanks for running those tests. Bimmertech sent me a new MMI that they said had been tested for GPS issues. They are well aware of the issue and told me that they are not sure yet what is causing the problem in some units. I will send them the link to your post.

My new MMI is better, it no longer kills my iPhone’s GPS when the phone is in my cup holder under the AC panel like before. Accuracy is still not what is should be however and it still sometimes freaks out and jumps around.

Overall GPS accuracy is better when the phone is under the center armrest compared to the cup holder which makes me wonder if the MMI itself is causing RF interference that is messing with the GPS signal in the phone.

FYI - I’m using an iPhone 11 Pro in my X5M.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #91
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

It looks BimmerTech released CarPlay MMI Prime

Wireless capable!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 05:57 AM   #92
guigui92350
Private
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
It looks BimmerTech released CarPlay MMI Prime

Wireless capable!
Great news!!
Very interested but I just need to check how it works for audio because I don't have audio aux in the armrest. Is it a problem ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:19 PM   #93
southbay82
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328ix

Garage List
I was testing the aux port this morning with my iPhone over a lightning adapter and there was noticeable hiss at levels. If this retrofit relies on that connection, I’m concerned audio is going to suffer the same quality issues. Does anyone else know if the same quality issues exist with other products using the aux port?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #94
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

is it possible to add apple play to a 2016 435 gc?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #95
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I have just installed one of these and all works great.

I say I have just installed one, well it isn't a Bimmertech MMI prime its one from Aliepxress for a third of the price. However I have done a lot of research and it is exactly the same unit as the BimmerTech one. And I mean exactly the same! Harness, unit and firmware etc. These must be the units Bimmertech are buying in and re-boxing!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #96
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post

I say I have just installed one, well it isn't a Bimmertech MMI prime its one from Aliepxress for a third of the price. However I have done a lot of research and it is exactly the same unit as the BimmerTech one. And I mean exactly the same! Harness, unit and firmware etc. These must be the units Bimmertech are buying in and re-boxing!
Nice! Do you have a link to the Aliexpress unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #97
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Although the title is a bit misleading, there is a whole thread for it: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1646810

The actual discussion starts at pages 2 and 3.
Appreciate 1
muniz_ri447.50
      12-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #98
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

So I am really considering the new Bimmertech MMI Prime, but I have a few questions for those who have gone down this route. I'm OK with the installation, actually looks pretty easy.

But, first, how does the Carplay interact with the stock system?
  • Can I listen to Satellite Radio and have Google Maps in Carplay?
  • I know how to get into carplay, but if I hit the Radio button or nav button, or anything on the controller, does it exit and go to that particular input?
  • I have the head up display, and love it. But what still works on that display? I assume nothing in the carplay world works there, but I really like the Phone and media controls in HUD.
  • I'm sure I have more... But the Eagles are winning
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 05:15 PM   #99
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You are absolutely right!

BimmerTech seems to be marking up a minimum of 200% as it also possible to get for $140!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #100
guigui92350
Private
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport Ultimate

Quote:

Do you have a reference ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #101
UnknownBeing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i (22 M340i in-transit)

Hi Patrys@BimmerTech ,
Can you tell me if your box supports Android Auto's widescreen mode? Most boxes I've seen have the image stretched out across the larger iDrive displays.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #102
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Your product released after the ones listed on Aliexpress.

Whether it is the same or not, there are other products that offer similar quality of your solution and are reasonably marketed.

You wrote a long post to respond to our skepticisms. It is enough to tell us a lot about BimmerTech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
You can buy a lot of different CarPlay boxes on Aliexpress but definitely not BimmerTech CarPlay MMI Prime.

I don’t know anything about the one you purchased but there are two possible reasons why it looks similar.

It could be a copy of our product. I’m not surprised, because CarPlay MMI Prime is currently the best aftermarket CarPlay solution for BMW cars.
Chinese factories copy not only products and technologies from the West but they copy each other even more often.
In this case you get what you pay for.

If this is not a copy then it could be a product that uses similar components.
Our R&D is based on solutions available to other vendors. These are technologies that allow companies like ours develop products much faster.
The implementation of the solution and the way the final product works depends on us. This is why our R&D is so valuable and this is what makes our product better.
We don’t focus our development on the cables or the housing which have little impact on product functionality.

Our sales is big enough to allow us to invest in R&D and built own products.
I’m not going to convince anyone not to buy from Aliexpress. This is not our competition or a threat to our business.
However, you can’t be saying it’s the same products because it’s not.

I hope my message shed some light on what product you purchased.
I hope it will work well for you.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #103
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

I agree, it is even a bit ridiculous.
Here's why:

Quote:
It could be a copy of our product.
You speak of a 'copy', implying they stole some supposed intellectual property. Why?
The idea for something like this is not new and CarPlay and Android Auto are 3rd party software.

Do you have a copyright on it?

Quote:
I’m not surprised, because CarPlay MMI Prime is currently the best aftermarket CarPlay solution for BMW cars.
At least for Android Auto, this statement is false.
The Chinese MMI offers wireless AA. Your unit doesn't.

Quote:
The implementation of the solution and the way the final product works depends on us. This is why our R&D is so valuable and this is what makes our product better.
We don’t focus our development on the cables or the housing which have little impact on product functionality.
If the software is coming from you, how can it be that it looks identical to the Chinese MMI? And I don't mean similar, I mean actually identical. Same texts, same graphics.
Except that yours has the old UI. The Chinese I would say already have version 2.0.

And how can it be that you know so little about your own software? Before buying the Chinese MMI from AliExpress, I exchanged several e-mails with your support.
The question was simple, I asked how exactly the iDrive Controller input worked without a touch display on a touch-optimized software (i.e. Android Auto/CarPlay).
I even specifically asked how map apps (Waze, Google Maps) are zoomed in and out. It couldn't be answered and after some mails I was told it's not possible without touch.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, you are correct. The Chinese MMI has more features at a third of the price.

Quote:
It didn't, but it definitely shed some light on your business dealings

Quote:
You can buy a lot of different CarPlay boxes on Aliexpress but definitely not BimmerTech CarPlay MMI Prime.
Why would you, though?

Quote:
I agree, you get more features and pay less. Seems like a no-brainer.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #104
fondoo1287
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36

i love the wireless carplay, no more tethering with the lightening cable.

is anyone able to change song tracks from the steering wheel?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #105
pete in fate
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i

What kind of support do you expect from Aliexpress bought device?

I KNOW that Bimmertech will support their device, and make timely updates and bug fixes. And I don't work for them, but I am an audio engineer that works with many different manufacturers. Is it worth the difference in price to get a unit that pretty much has no support? Not to me!

Quote:

I don’t know anything about the one you purchased but there are two possible reasons why it looks similar.

It could be a copy of our product. I’m not surprised, because CarPlay MMI Prime is currently the best aftermarket CarPlay solution for BMW cars.
Chinese factories copy not only products and technologies from the West but they copy each other even more often.

If this is not a copy then it could be a product that uses similar components.
Our R&D is based on solutions available to other vendors. These are technologies that allow companies like ours develop products much faster.

Our sales is big enough to allow us to invest in R&D and built own products.
I’m not going to convince anyone not to buy from Aliexpress. This is not our competition or a threat to our business.

I hope it will work well for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #106
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondoo1287 View Post
i love the wireless carplay, no more tethering with the lightening cable.

is anyone able to change song tracks from the steering wheel?

Yes on the Chinese Andream version not a problem, can't speak for the Bimmertech totally different and not a copy box. Apparently it's much better though so I would expect it can skip using telepathy!
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #107
fondoo1287
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #108
Dcreckless
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320 I 2014

new to all this and looking to get a 2014 320 to connect with bluetooth for music rather than just the phone. do I need to go all out with the bimmertech route $$$ or is there a retrofit with BMW tech of a total or something?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:41 PM   #109
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcreckless View Post
new to all this and looking to get a 2014 320 to connect with bluetooth for music rather than just the phone. do I need to go all out with the bimmertech route $$$ or is there a retrofit with BMW tech of a total or something?
You need to have enhanced bluetooth coded on your car. Plenty of info around here about it, check the coding section.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #110
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete in fate View Post
I KNOW that Bimmertech will support their device, and make timely updates and bug fixes. And I don't work for them, but I am an audio engineer that works with many different manufacturers. Is it worth the difference in price to get a unit that pretty much has no support? Not to me!
That's a bold assumption, especially when the other manufacturer just sent out a firmware update. Whatever helps you sleep at night, I suppose.
Appreciate 2