F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F34 driver door handle not returning flush.
Studio RSR

Today, 07:05 AM   #1
martynmcfarquhar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

F34 driver door handle not returning flush.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2016 F34 that was purchased about a year ago. Since owning, I've noticed that the driver's side door handle doesn't return flush against the door after pulling it. I can push it back into place manually, but the handle feels noticeably looser than the other doors.

Before pulling the door apart, I just want to understand how the mechanism works and how the handle return works. From looking at this diagram (https://www.sytnerstevenagebmwparts....t/51_8924.html) am I right in thinking it's part #6 (the outside Bowden cable) that is responsible for returning the door handle to being flush against the door? Or is this more likely a problem with the actuator itself?

Any insights, or anyone who's experienced this problem, please let me know! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:54 AM   #2
martynmcfarquhar
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie5x View Post
Ahh this happened to me. Not sure how he did it but I took it to a local garage in Coventry and he fixed in within 15 minutes
Ah, interesting. So perhaps not necessary to replace any parts, maybe something inside the door just needs tightening? May be worth taking off the door trim and having a look inside, if it's that simple?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:16 AM   #3
martynmcfarquhar
Registered
Rep

Looking more closely at a replacement door handle carrier, I assume the mechanism for returning the door handle is the two springs you can see here.

So either the springs are getting stuck, or perhaps there's something trapping the metal "paddle" on the carrier. So perhaps if I can get to the carrier through the inside of the door I can try some WD-40 on the springs and see if there's anything obvious trapping the handle from returning.
Appreciate 0