F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Rear Park Distance Control (PDC) Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

03-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #45
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
So the CAFD file for the new REM automatically gets generated once you code that ECU?
Also, what does the ICM have to do with PDC? I assume thats the Ignition Control Module. That doesn't get modified for the retrofit does it?
Shawn is correct For the rear only it doesn't affect the ICM, however if you also add the front PDC, the PDC button for the center console gets wired in to the ICM under the center armrest/parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #46
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koch92 View Post
Thanks, I think after I followed Ur steps. The coding is done now, but the PDC is not working and It shows the message below (In the pic) probs wiring done wrong? However I checked it again and it was all fine. Apart from One problem I have, which is I'm not sure which one is the - or + as I have done the wiring myslelf and cause I left it for so long I have forgotten now, altho I switched between the - &+ yet no results :/

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
That is interesting, normally the error would say "Park Distance Control", not parking assistance... If you have team viewer installed I would be more than happy to take a look at the coding part just to make sure everything is correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #47
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Shawn is correct For the rear only it doesn't affect the ICM, however if you also add the front PDC, the PDC button for the center console gets wired in to the ICM under the center armrest/parking brake.
Ah Ok.. makes sense. Forgot about that button Thanks

Btw.. speaking of Shawn, did you have to code the Head Unit ECU also? He mentioned that...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #48
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ah Ok.. makes sense. Forgot about that button Thanks

Btw.. speaking of Shawn, did you have to code the Head Unit ECU also? He mentioned that...
When I did mine, I just applied the FA change to every ECU just to make sure there wasn't something left out. The only downfall to this is that if you had made other coding changes, it will most likely put everything back to default and you would have to redo any coding changes.

As for the REM, once you install the new one you will need to generate the new CAFD for it. Once you get it in I can help with that.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #49
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Hey could you pm some info on where you got the rear harness? I've found sensors but can't find the harness.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #50
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
Hey could you pm some info on where you got the rear harness? I've found sensors but can't find the harness.
you can just go to your dealership and give them the part number
they will tell you its backordered form germany but they can still get it for you
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #51
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
they will tell you its backordered form germany but they can still get it for you
I'll bet you a Dog Fish Head 120-minute IPA you can't order this from a BMW dealership in the US
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #52
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Prep Work:
- The first thing you will want to do before ordering parts for this retrofit is to check your REM module to see if you already have the correct pins for the PDC sensors. Remove the far left connector, and use the picture below as a reference guide. If you do not have the pins in the highlighted box, you will need to replace the REM.

I'm still in the process of gathering all my parts and prob the most significant one is the REM. I'm so confused why there are so many different REM parts ...

Roxxor shows the 175 above without the PDC connector and the 700 that has the PDC connector. I have the 61359329702 with no PDC connector, and when i do a search on the 700 on Ebay, the search returns two other REMs: 61359329701 and also the 61359329704 that both have the PDC connectors. There's OEM part numbers and interchange part numbers, and supposedly all these are compatible with the F30. But of course the 175, 701, 704, and even my own 702 don't show up in Realoem.com Ahhhhggggghhhh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #53
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm still in the process of gathering all my parts and prob the most significant one is the REM. I'm so confused why there are so many different REM parts ...

Roxxor shows the 175 above without the PDC connector and the 700 that has the PDC connector. I have the 61359329702 with no PDC connector, and when i do a search on the 700 on Ebay, the search returns two other REMs: 61359329701 and also the 61359329704 that both have the PDC connectors. There's OEM part numbers and interchange part numbers, and supposedly all these are compatible with the F30. But of course the 175, 701, 704, and even my own 702 don't show up in Realoem.com Ahhhhggggghhhh
yea it took me a while to gather all the parts too...
luckily i was on ebay last week and found one that ended in 700 and i sniped it pretty quick
ordered the cable from my local dealership and should arrive next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:24 AM   #54
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
luckily i was on ebay last week and found one that ended in 700 and i sniped it pretty quick
Dog

I have my ebay alerts/notifications set up now for the 700 Everyone stay away - next one's mine..

You seriously ordered the 614 from the dealership?? which one is that? i'm gonna call them today :-)
EDIT: oh man, just noticed you are not in US... double dog!!

Last edited by squidlyboy; 03-10-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #55
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Quote:
well, my dealer told me they cant get that cable in the US. its not the fact that the part came from germany, my control unit bracket was only a Germany item & they were able to get that no problem... If you look at realoem or the link that someone posted above, if you select your car was a USA build, the retrofit cables are no longer an option. If i select a Europe build for example, amazing i have a retrofit cables option (same for realoem btw)

lots of us also use tischer BMW at getbmwparts.com as they have the best prices i've seen for OEM parts... item not found. This BMW dealership out of Atlanta that keeps popping up on searches... part not found.

So several of us have been speaking from experience, things are different for us on these retrofit cables in the US. Please post the dealership & the price you paid. I ended up ordering my retrofit cables from Bimmertech & paid about $700 for 3 cables. so please let us know what dealer you found b/c i want to order future retrofit cables & don't want to pay Patryk's prices. It wasn't exactly an easy process either & took about 2-3 weeks to get my cables.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #56
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

I just ordered my 66202339614 rear pdc retrofit cable/kit from Partsale.eu (same place roxxor ordered some of his parts). It was only 87 euro ($93 usd) for the cable. I'm getting tired of this us/non-us part availability BS...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 02:57 PM   #57
Chris@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
well, my dealer told me they cant get that cable in the US. its not the fact that the part came from germany, my control unit bracket was only a Germany item & they were able to get that no problem... If you look at realoem or the link that someone posted above, if you select your car was a USA build, the retrofit cables are no longer an option. If i select a Europe build for example, amazing i have a retrofit cables option (same for realoem btw)

lots of us also use tischer BMW at getbmwparts.com as they have the best prices i've seen for OEM parts... item not found. This BMW dealership out of Atlanta that keeps popping up on searches... part not found.

So several of us have been speaking from experience, things are different for us on these retrofit cables in the US. Please post the dealership & the price you paid. I ended up ordering my retrofit cables from Bimmertech & paid about $700 for 3 cables. so please let us know what dealer you found b/c i want to order future retrofit cables & don't want to pay Patryk's prices. It wasn't exactly an easy process either & took about 2-3 weeks to get my cables.
Quote:
I just ordered my 66202339614 rear pdc retrofit cable/kit from Partsale.eu (same place roxxor ordered some of his parts). It was only 87 euro ($93 usd) for the cable. I'm getting tired of this us/non-us part availability BS...
Im not sure what the dealer used to search it up but they were able to find it no problem and order it for me.
Im still waiting for it to arrive but once they do ill take a picture of the invoice for you.

another thing you can try is ordering the cable itself instead of the kit
part number is this:
I didnt see this part number until after i ordered 66202339614
but according to my dealer that i go to
66202339614 is $138 for the whole kit (which is just a manual, the cable and cable ties)
61122295873 is $76 just the cable.

Not sure if the manual and zip ties are worth double the price...but that is what it is...

these prices are in Canadian...and it went up cause our dollar has gone to shit....will probably be cheaper for you guys down in the states asuming your dealer can get it for you.

if your dealer still cant find it send me a pm. i can give you a contact at my local dealership and maybe they will ship it down to you guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #58
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep

Good info from everybody. I don't necessarily want to pay bimmer tech prices but will if I have too. Thanks again roxxor for taking the risks and documenting it!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #59
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep

In my research I came across 61119293040 for rear PDC repair wire. I wonder if that is the american equivalent of 61122295873. i am tempted to buy it just to see. It's fairly cheap. I figure there has to be a part out there for a rear end accident that ruins the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #60
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
In my research I came across 61119293040 for rear PDC repair wire. I wonder if that is the american equivalent of 61122295873. i am tempted to buy it just to see. It's fairly cheap. I figure there has to be a part out there for a rear end accident that ruins the wiring.
Hmm.. interesting. Never heard of 61119293040, but at $21, seems a little too good to be true. In the realoem diagram, its #3. I see that box-like thing a lot when i look up parts on realoem, but not sure what it means.. anyone know?

The other two cables in the diagram (1 and 2) are over a hundred dollars each and seem more like what is needed, but i don't recognize those part numbers either. They are not the 614 we've been talking about
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #61
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep

Some places say the list price is around $80
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 09:29 PM   #62
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Hmm.. interesting. Never heard of 61119293040, but at $21, seems a little too good to be true. In the realoem diagram, its #3. I see that box-like thing a lot when i look up parts on realoem, but not sure what it means.. anyone know?

The other two cables in the diagram (1 and 2) are over a hundred dollars each and seem more like what is needed, but i don't recognize those part numbers either. They are not the 614 we've been talking about
#1 is the actual wiring harness for the trunk/trunk lid, at least according to realoem.

The kit also included the 4 rubber de-coupling rings for the PDC sensors, FWIW

Shazsta is correct, partsale.eu is who I have used for all of the retrofit parts I have not been able to get from BMW dealers state-side. There is a tad bit of a language lost in the translation just because they are based overseas, but I've had nothing but positive experiences in my orders.

As for the REM, just going off of what my best educated guess is, but it appears that the differences between the parts (701, 702, etc) is that they have different pin configurations for different Vehicle Options. So vehicles that did not come from the factory with PDC would not have a REM that has the pin-outs for it. The reason I ended up going with the 700 is that it has every pin output available on the REM, essentially a "fully-loaded" F30's REM. Therefore, it would have the PDC and any other pins needed if I ever decided to retrofit anything else involving the REM. In checking on google, it looks like the 700 part #'s have been superseded to 61359362394, meaning you probably can't order the 700 new anymore. Unfortunately, without an image of the new one to go by to see the pins, I can't vouch that it is the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #63
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As for the REM, just going off of what my best educated guess is, but it appears that the differences between the parts (701, 702, etc) is that they have different pin configurations for different Vehicle Options. So vehicles that did not come from the factory with PDC would not have a REM that has the pin-outs for it. The reason I ended up going with the 700 is that it has every pin output available on the REM, essentially a "fully-loaded" F30's REM. Therefore, it would have the PDC and any other pins needed if I ever decided to retrofit anything else involving the REM. In checking on google, it looks like the 700 part #'s have been superseded to 61359362394, meaning you probably can't order the 700 new anymore. Unfortunately, without an image of the new one to go by to see the pins, I can't vouch that it is the same.
700 it is then! As for the 394, I'm not feeling the "pioneering" spirit right now so i'm going to continue to go down the beaten path and use what is tried and true. Also, I don't require all new parts (and not willing to pay that premium), so getting a gently used 700 off Ebay fits my needs perfectly.

I don't want any additional unanticipated problems as this is right at the edge of what my comfort level is as far as retrofitting goes. The fact that this retrofit is not "available" for F30's in the US made me nervous from the get go. On top of that, having to replace something as critical as the factory REM with a new part, then having to code that new FA option in... puts me right at the edge of the cliff if you know what i mean. Any more surprises, and i'm bolting

Ultimately, what i'm really after is the OEM rear camera for safety reasons. And since this rear PDC is a pre-req, this is really just a stepping stone towards my final goal. I know i coulda gone the Bimmertech route, but i'm trying to do this in the most cost-effective way as possible. Plus its kinda fun to tackle these types of projects. I always learn a TON.

But.... I never would have even contemplated this retrofit had you not blazed the trail first, and got it working. So for that, i am and will be eternally grateful!!!

Btw... where is koch92? Did he ever get his rear PDC working after coding? Haven't heard anything...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #64
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

I had my car retrofitted with front & rear PDCs, as well as cameras. I ordered the parts that Roxor recommended; used PartsSale as well for those that I couldn't get in US from ECS Tuning.

While I am still having some challenges with the cameras, the PDCs are working like champs!

Be happy to provide, if you can't find them:
  • Complete Parts List
  • Front PDC installation guide

BTW, have found the PDCs to be very handy!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #65
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep

Cool beans. When you say cameras do you mean you did top view too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

I had my car retrofitted with front & rear PDCs, as well as cameras. I ordered the parts that Roxor recommended; used PartsSale as well for those that I couldn't get in US from ECS Tuning.

While I am still having some challenges with the cameras, the PDCs are working like champs!

Be happy to provide, if you can't find them:
  • Complete Parts List

BTW, have found the PDCs to be very handy!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #66
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Be happy to provide ...
  • Complete Parts List
Definitely! I'd like to compare it to the list of parts that roxxor provided to see if anything has been superceded or other alternate part numbers will work also. I think anyone doing this retrofit would benefit from your list. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0