F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Best Oil for 340i with Software
Extreme Powerhouse

07-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
thefatstig
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring

Best Oil for 340i with Software

Apologies if this has been discussed to the far ends of the earth. I did find a thread but am unable to re-locate it now. Was there some opinion on tuned 340i B58s and NOT using the recommended BMW oil ? Anyone with a tuned 340 using the BMW recommended or a different weight ?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatstig View Post
Apologies if this has been discussed to the far ends of the earth. I did find a thread but am unable to re-locate it now. Was there some opinion on tuned 340i B58s and NOT using the recommended BMW oil ? Anyone with a tuned 340 using the BMW recommended or a different weight ?
Current LL01(2018). The dealer 5w30 is an excellent product. Based on its cold crank viscosity alone it could be classified as a 10w-30. The smaller spread means less viscosity index improvers are needed in order to meet the minimum HTHS threshold. Ex, 0w40's have a lot of VII's. BMWTPT 5w30 also has a ridiculously low Noack of 6 percent. Redline and Ravenol are the only others I can think of which have a similiarly low level.

This dealer oil is also affordable.

http://pqiadata.org/BMW_5W30.html

Below is a tool which allows you to compare OEM spec's (ex LL01 vs LL01FE).

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
thefatstig
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Current LL01(2018). The dealer 5w30 is an excellent product. Based on its cold crank viscosity alone it could be classified as a 10w-30. The smaller spread means less viscosity index improvers are needed in order to meet the minimum HTHS threshold. Ex, 0w40's have a lot of VII's. BMWTPT 5w30 also has a ridiculously low Noack of 6 percent. Redline and Ravenol are the only others I can think of which have a similiarly low level.

This dealer oil is also affordable.

http://pqiadata.org/BMW_5W30.html

Below is a tool which allows you to compare OEM spec's (ex LL01 vs LL01FE).

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html
Awesome, thank you !
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00
      07-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Personally, I don't think oil weight is as important as you shorting the intervals due to potential issues like fuel dilution.

Do 5,000-7,500mi instead of 10,000mi.

Go up in weight if you find your oil is overheating, otherwise it should be fine as-is.

Last edited by AspektUSA; 07-31-2020 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      08-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
about94ninjas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 340i

Agreed, I feel like shorter intervals are more important than the oil you use.

That being said, I use shell 5w40 diesel oil. Was skeptical at first, but heard good things from everyone that uses it. 5k miles in and no issues, I feel like it made the engine quieter and smoother, but that could just be in my head. And 20 bucks a gallon
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by about94ninjas View Post

That being said, I use shell 5w40 diesel oil. Was skeptical at first, but heard good things from everyone that uses it. 5k miles in and no issues, I feel like it made the engine quieter and smoother, but that could just be in my head. And 20 bucks a gallon
Never run a heavy-dity diesel oil in a gas engine. They use different additives and VII's because the engines have vastly different operating environments vs a gas engine.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #7
about94ninjas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 340i

Quote:
Quote:

Never run a heavy-dity diesel oil in a gas engine. They use different additives and VII's because the engines have vastly different operating environments vs a gas engine.
I've heard lots of people swear by it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Changing the oil this weekend and sending a sample to Blackstone, so we'll see what the results are compared to the OEM 0W-30 I ran before.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
3FortyI
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

Tuned 340i - using Liquid Moly. 5w-30

FCPEuro has a kit with everything that is reasonably priced, and that's what I use.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've heard lots of people swear by it, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Changing the oil this weekend and sending a sample to Blackstone, so we'll see what the results are compared to the OEM 0W-30 I ran before.
Ya I understand. The typical reason is that HDEO's have more ZDDP additives which is something that can be compared to motor oils in general.

The thing is that ZDDP isn't the only game in town and there are families or organic additives which don't show up in an UOA.

Same goes for visocity index improvers. HDEO's use different types.

Best case is to shop OE certs. Porsche/VW, Mercedes Benz, and BMW. More certs an oil has the more likely it's a high quality product.

Besides lubricant failures are almost a thing of the past. If it happens it's going to be poor engineering and no oil will stop that.

On a side note. The absolute worst thing is to do is choose an oil because it's advertised as "exceeding xyz". Exceeding to not equate to better when it comes to the performance of motor oil. It's just advertising.

Appreciate 0