F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Drive mode for icy roads?
ARMA SPEED

02-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #1
smithbh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi GT

Drive mode for icy roads?

I have a 2014 F34 w/ M-sport package and, having grown up in the south, minimal experience driving in icy conditions.

For those that do, what drive mode settings do you recommend for these conditions? I've been using sport chassis w/ normal drivetrain based on what I *think* would be safest but have no idea if it is, or if it even matters that much.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

There's only one safe method of handling icy roads: stay at home. Period.
Appreciate 3
chowser512025.00
Th3Walrus340.50
      02-12-2021, 09:43 PM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
There's only one safe method of handling icy roads: stay at home. Period.
Yes, true, but if one must go out, I think we would agree that the selection of tires far outweighs any of the settings. There might be a slight benefit from a less aggressive throttle map, but traction control should overwhelm any difference anyway. If you cannot stay home and need to drive in winter weather, 95%+ of your success in maintaining control (stopping/turning is more critical than accelerating) will be mediated more by having dedicated winter tires than from any other factor.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
rjd_F301999.50
      02-12-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You can't drive on an eighth of an inch or more of glare ice, period. Even if you get moving you can't steer and you can't stop unless you've got studded winters or chains all around, and even then it's dicey. In New Hampshire we usually manage to avoid massive chain reaction crashes like the one in Texas yesterday, because salt trucks treat the roads even before the storm hits. Needless to say they didn't adequately salt I-35. Even if the roads are salted it's still folly to be out there, because ice causes trees and power lines to come down on the roads.
Appreciate 3
Sportstick4654.00
admranger2984.50
      02-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #5
smithbh
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the wisdom y'all! Duly noted.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

Quote:
You can't drive on an eighth of an inch or more of glare ice, period. Even if you get moving you can't steer and you can't stop unless you've got studded winters or chains all around, and even then it's dicey. In New Hampshire we usually manage to avoid massive chain reaction crashes like the one in Texas yesterday, because salt trucks treat the roads even before the storm hits. Needless to say they didn't adequately salt I-35. Even if the roads are salted it's still folly to be out there, because ice causes trees and power lines to come down on the roads.
Exactly^

We have to fight this macho mentality to go out on the roads in icy conditions constantly in our driving safety course. Work at home orders or shutdowns are implemented here because there is no substantive infrastructure or planning for icy conditions like we saw in Fort Worth Thursday. Also, most every vehicle in Texas runs summer tires year round. The incidence of ice and snow are so rare it's just not practical to keep an extra set of snow tires for a five to ten year event. I have no doubt northern drivers can cope with icy conditions better than southern drivers but there are more variables that just skill and experience.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Agree...I didn't take the original post as literally as I should have and he may have intended as a Texas ice storm, and was just generalizing for winter for someone from the south who wants to learn about seasonal driving. Ice storms definitely mean staying off the roads.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Having lived in Texas previously, the only practical solution was to remain at home until ice melted. For own safety and safety of others ...
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You haven't lived until you sat in a house overnight with no heat and no electricity, and every ten minutes or so heard a loud 'crack' from the darkness outside, wondering WTF was that? When the sun came up I found out the noise was trees weighted down with so much ice that they bent over so far that their trunks snapped like match sticks. Further north in Montreal the entire city was without power for days, because all the massive power lines had come down. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...1998-1.4469977
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #10
InVermont
Lieutenant Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330Xi GT

Ice Driving

Could not agree more with BillFitz. Stay home! In Tx, even if you outfit with soft rubber for Winter, it’s pretty clear no one else will. Here in Vermont, this isn’t really an issue mostly, but there are times even so when conditions overwhelm the “road crews”, and no car can drive safely.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #11
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I'm Next door in Louisiana and I can say the same thing as everyone else, stay home unless you have an emergency. With snow and ice coming in the next day or so, we have everything already purchased and will chill unless we need an ER. My 340 on high performance summer tires is parked. I washed it and will do a winter detail in the grave while parked for the next days avoiding snow and ice. My X1, which my daughter has sort of usurped, will be my car of choice if needed. I grew up in the north so have experience, but am always weary of ice and stay of the road; with snow, it is not me I am worried about but others. But at least for us (the whole family), for the 3-5 days a year when there is snow or ice; I stay home and enjoy it with the kids. With the exception of the upcoming storm which may dump snow/ice that hangs around for a few days, usually by the next day, the roads are clear and dry.

Definitely stay safe if you are going to have any of the nasty weather that is headed our way tonight, tomorrow and into the week.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 02:48 AM   #12
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

The last time it was icy here a Hyundai landed in the neighbors yard.

You might as well hold DSC off and gun it, because it doesn't matter.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #13
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithbh View Post
I have a 2014 F34 w/ M-sport package and, having grown up in the south, minimal experience driving in icy conditions.

For those that do, what drive mode settings do you recommend for these conditions? I've been using sport chassis w/ normal drivetrain based on what I *think* would be safest but have no idea if it is, or if it even matters that much.

Thanks in advance!
Comfort or Eco-Pro to soften the acceleration input and help prevent wheel spin. DTC enabled (short press of DSC button) where necessary to maintain forward motion in snowy conditions. Be aware the auto box can bring on unwanted forward motion at walking pace ('creep' function) when you're trying to slow down, so be ready to select neutral if the back end starts to step out in this situation.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
smithbh
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice everyone! My question was answered every way I can think of, and I'll be hunkering down at home for the foreseeable future. Much appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Comfort or Eco-Pro to soften the acceleration input and help prevent wheel spin. DTC enabled (short press of DSC button) where necessary to maintain forward motion in snowy conditions. Be aware the auto box can bring on unwanted forward motion at walking pace ('creep' function) when you're trying to slow down, so be ready to select neutral if the back end starts to step out in this situation.
None of that works on ice.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:36 AM   #16
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
None of that works on ice.
I grew up in VA outside of DC and I remember watching the news showing the folks in VA and MD coming home from work in DC on those days when freezing rain made the roads difficult to say the least to drive on. Just watching cars slide off the road into ditches, into other cars, into the concrete barriers, etc. really stuck with me. Ice is truly a nightmare to drive on without your Bond car that has those special studded ice tires and other handy gadgets. After living in the mountains of VA for a few years as a young fellow I realized how much better snow was to drive on - with proper attention and a prepared car set up for winter, one can drive safely.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There's a major ice storm happening right now from Mississippi to Tennessee, making a beeline for Pittsburgh and points northeast. By the time the evening news comes on seven hours from now we'll be treated to video of any number of massive chain reaction crashes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's a major ice storm happening right now from Mississippi to Tennessee, making a beeline for Pittsburgh and points northeast. By the time the evening news comes on seven hours from now we'll be treated to video of any number of massive chain reaction crashes.
Yep, I am in the middle of that. The ice and snow has stopped and this storm is moving east, but the roads are covered with a thin layer of ice and then 4-5 inches of snow. We are parked for a few days. The next storm with more ice and or snow should come in 2 days. The worst part for down here is that it won't get above freezing for the next 3-4 days so the roads will remain dangerous and all bridges and raised highways will remain closed.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #19
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
Well here in Minnesota, with -21 degrees the ice is caused from frozen car exhaust. Some times you can't even see it.
Thank God for heated seats and steering wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ice here only lasts 24 hours tops, because we've got fleets of salt trucks. My city of 16,000 has two dozen city salt trucks, state trucks take care of the state highways, and at least a hundred private pickup trucks with salt spreaders do the parking lots. Even our sidewalks get plowed and salted. What have you got down there, one truck per parrish? At least your food is better than ours.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #21
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ice here only lasts 24 hours tops, because we've got fleets of salt trucks. My city of 16,000 has two dozen city salt trucks, state trucks take care of the state highways, and at least a hundred private pickup trucks with salt spreaders do the parking lots. Even our sidewalks get plowed and salted. What have you got down there, one truck per parrish? At least your food is better than ours.
The larger Parishes may have some trucks and maybe LaDot has something other than barriers, but really this weather is so in frequent that they usually do nothing. Bridges and raised highways are just closed and we wait for Mother Nature to heat up the roads and melt any snow or ice. LaDOT just dumps barriers by the side of the on ramps and then they set up those barriers when needed. This is very unusual to have this length of cold and the extent of the cold weather. We have had winters where the summer annuals never die off. This year absolutely yes.

So for us, it just enjoy the winter wonderland and stay safe as next year we may not even have any real freezes or winter precipitation.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #22
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
I'm sure the cold also slows down the snakes and gators.
Appreciate 0