F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pure 500 Suggestions
ARMA SPEED

03-19-2023, 02:20 PM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
One thing all of the nonsense & events of recent years has done for everyone in this country is significantly reduce the number of states that they’d be interested in moving to. My wife and I joke when we watch the news that the potential states in which we might want to retire is constantly dwindling.

Note how it doesn’t matter what side of any argument someone is on for this to be true. America has always been a wonderful place to explore. It’s sad really.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 03:33 PM   #24
kickthecan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46

My problem is the fact that, okay, you don't like the state, cool, but to go all the way and call it communist just irritates the hell out of me.

Anything you don't like = communist. That's not how it works.

You're in the land of the free, you can choose where you live, but to continually bash on California just because of the emissions laws? Lol, Texas has plenty of its own issues as well so I tried to point how dumb of an argument it is
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #25
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

This thread is taking a really unfriendly, and off topic turn.

I’d appreciate it if you guys could just agree to disagree, and let it end?

Or take it to PM if you really feel the need to continue the conversation?
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2023, 01:18 AM   #26
Shatteredpixelz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i F36 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickthecan View Post
Yes the b58tu works on stock tune like another user said.

You say you have a downpipe. Is it a catted downpipe?
It is a HFC from VSRF, got it mostly to be able to pass an under the hood inspection from an office who won't be able to tell the difference between that one ant a stock one in the chance I get pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 01:24 AM   #27
Shatteredpixelz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lens View Post
Man, your state sucks, I don't know why you guys don't move to a more car mod friendly state, like Texas or something.
For me, the land and culture that I found in CA is unparalleled to anything else. While yes, the laws often suck, the rent is out of control, but the way I see it, I put up with it to enjoy views like this:

Not to mention that we have our ways of getting around the law hehe.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 05:28 AM   #28
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatteredpixelz View Post
For me, the land and culture that I found in CA is unparalleled to anything else. While yes, the laws often suck, the rent is out of control, but the way I see it, I put up with it to enjoy views like this:

Not to mention that we have our ways of getting around the law hehe.
That's why, I never had the problem with California itself, I have problems with the people running it.

It could be one of the best states with the views and people, but the every year they keep adding new laws to kill the car culture there.

Nice picture though!

And yeah, it's just a hassle having to revert everything to stock to pass emissions, unless you have a guy you can slip a 100$ bill to.
      03-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #29
Shatteredpixelz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lens View Post
That's why, I never had the problem with California itself, I have problems with the people running it.

It could be one of the best states with the views and people, but the every year they keep adding new laws to kill the car culture there.

Nice picture though!

And yeah, it's just a hassle having to revert everything to stock to pass emissions, unless you have a guy you can slip a 100$ bill to.
the price of a "smog" where you can pass no questions asked is between 500-800 right now 😭
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:30 PM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
It is a HFC from VSRF, got it mostly to be able to pass an under the hood inspection from an office who won't be able to tell the difference between that one ant a stock one in the chance I get pulled over.
VRSF DP will not pass the OBD2 check in California...

Quote:
the price of a "smog" where you can pass no questions asked is between 500-800 right now 😭
You can't do that with a OBD2 check... I have been dealing with smogs on my 3000gt for 16 years, but its a 91, so its pre-OBD2. You just have to find a way to pass visual and sniffer, both of which can be done easily, because there is no physical connection to the car required. However the OBD2 checks are entirely different, you can't "trick" those because they necessarily require a connection to your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:28 PM   #31
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post

You can't do that with a OBD2 check... I have been dealing with smogs on my 3000gt for 16 years, but its a 91, so its pre-OBD2. You just have to find a way to pass visual and sniffer, both of which can be done easily, because there is no physical connection to the car required. However the OBD2 checks are entirely different, you can't "trick" those because they necessarily require a connection to your vehicle.
Not necessarily, I spoke to a smog tech that I know and what they are doing now is connecting a laptop to the car and reading all of the data . They then manually change the checksum and then connect the laptop to the smog test machine. essentially running an emulator on the laptop.
VRSF RACE IC, FTP CP, VRSF CATLESS DP, BORLA ATAK CATBACK, CTS TURBO INTAKE, MST V2 INLET, PURE STAGE 2, TURBOSMART BOV,FTP TURBO OUTLET, SPOOL FX180, BM3 ETHANOL ANALYZER, PRECISION RACEWORKS COILS, BM3 STAGE 2+ E30
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:50 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTRON View Post
Not necessarily, I spoke to a smog tech that I know and what they are doing now is connecting a laptop to the car and reading all of the data . They then manually change the checksum and then connect the laptop to the smog test machine. essentially running an emulator on the laptop.
I'll believe it when it see it put into practice, maybe that can be done in theory with the correct hardware and software but it seems pretty advanced for a smog test facility to do. They would also need to know what the valid value for the car would need to be, though not sure if they have access to those databases or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 05:32 AM   #33
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I'll believe it when it see it put into practice, maybe that can be done in theory with the correct hardware and software but it seems pretty advanced for a smog test facility to do. They would also need to know what the valid value for the car would need to be, though not sure if they have access to those databases or not.
Can we all agree that smog tests are a scam, and just for revenue lol.

Ontario used to have smog tests just like New York and California, and they got rid of it a few years ago, and this is Canada we're talking about, we have a carbon tax lmao.
      04-03-2023, 08:53 PM   #34
Shatteredpixelz
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The smog guy I know of doesn't ever need to see your car, I guess he's got a DMV plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 08:56 PM   #35
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The smog guy I know of doesn't ever need to see your car, I guess he's got a DMV plug.
For an OBD2 car? I do that for my pre-OBD2 car, just send him a picture of the DMV paper, because there's no connection from vehicle to machine in that case. They can run any car with the sniffer, the VIN is manually entered. OBD2 checks plug into the vehicle.
Appreciate 0