F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
proTUNING Freaks

09-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #2729
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
This works. Twilight plugin is just a condition plugin for Tasker, so you can couple it with sending the intent and it will work. In the basis:

When going from day to night: send intent 3 times to go from 100% to 0%, 33%, 66%.

When going from night to day: send intent 1 time to go from 66% to 100%.

You might need one at boot as well if these intents don't fire while the unit was powered off. It will work better when you can send the absolute brightness value through an intent. But this will require modification of the Eventcenter APK.
@_fred_ did you ever finish you eventcenter.apk mod? I'm just trying to figure out intents and it's, er, complicated...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #2730
Hulst88
Rep
Drives: E90

Hi everyone!!

Just got my Head unit (qualcom with android 9) and do have software version 2.4.5 (didn't see anyone here having that version? So I can share it if needed)

But I started a post on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-help-t3963108

I want to fix some issues/bad working things. Maybe someone already has solutions or can help where to program this? I have a vendor that would be happy to help improving his/her firmware. But somehow they are not really creative to do so.

main issues:
- Using idrive button in android apps like spotify (this would be awesome and saw some youtube videos with arduino controllers)
- Changing steering wheel buttons functions (really love to change the speech button, that now is doing nothing, to launch google assistant)

But I have more on the xda topic..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #2731
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulst88 View Post
Hi everyone!!

Just got my Head unit (qualcom with android 9) and do have software version 2.4.5 (didn't see anyone here having that version? So I can share it if needed)

But I started a post on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...-help-t3963108

I want to fix some issues/bad working things. Maybe someone already has solutions or can help where to program this? I have a vendor that would be happy to help improving his/her firmware. But somehow they are not really creative to do so.

main issues:
- Using idrive button in android apps like spotify (this would be awesome and saw some youtube videos with arduino controllers)
- Changing steering wheel buttons functions (really love to change the speech button, that now is doing nothing, to launch google assistant)

But I have more on the xda topic..
Hello Hulst.

I saw you post already at the XDA forums, but most active stuff is going on in this forum.

there is an seperate Thread for new Android 9 Units, i think its better to post here (maybe a Mod can move it).

2.4.5 is already postet, what i`m curous about, did your vendor said its official for the 4/64 version ?
Because it seems most vendors do not have the 2.4.5 version yet.
Android it self won`t be probably ever updated as the chinese like to stay on version that work, they don`t do updates for security reason, only bugfixing.
so newer images mostly only contain updated KSW Apps.

what i also saw at your screenshot is that your MCU version does show "NULL" ?.
You are using only that "pseudo" chinese Idrive controller, or have you used a genuine one ?

to your customization , the problem is that moste BMW drivers here are "only" enthusiasts what you need for real chaning is a software engineer that can reverse engineer the the MCU and software and add new code.

the only one i know that would can do this here is Fred, but i think he is very busy, and this would be alot of work.

Quote:
I have a vendor that would be happy to help improving his/her firmware. But somehow they are not really creative to do so.
What do you mean by that ?
Asking for "work to do for free" that a other company can make money out of it, is never a good start of ...

Chri
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #2732
Pondaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulst88 View Post
Hi everyone!!
I know there is an option in the Factory Settings to add / change physical buttons, but I had no success with it.

Also, if anybody is using OBDLink LX via bluetooth, their company has recently released an update for the default PIN to be set to 0000. Has anybody in here tried it? I still cannot pair it. I have also tried changing the plug's name to OBD and OBDII. And I have also tried changing the class of device (see below).
Code:
STBTDN OBD
STBTCOD 200400
I read some posts in here about not being able to use OBD2 via bluetooth for these head units, but I've read some models do work.

Last edited by Pondaire; 09-01-2019 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #2733
rossjmccarthy
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjmccarthy View Post
Hoping someone can help here as google has let me down.

A firmware update has left by 7.1 AVIN unit dead. MCU is fine but SOM has lost its image and when I swap to the android screen, I get "No Signal" Reversing screen is working away fine, as is the idrive, so the underlying MCU looks ok.

I have tried bootable USB, booting SD, renaming PX3.img to PX3_reset.img, format etc

I have concluded that the SOM is wiped completely.

Does anyone know a source for a replacement SOM? Mine is a ZXW_870 and Ver_03 with 2 rows of pins on both the top and bottom of the module.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Anyone?

Pic of SoM:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gD8Q3NEHfey43kRJ8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/prKVYxQjB5KJEFYKA
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:29 AM   #2734
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjmccarthy View Post
https://github.com/chinesebmwheaduni.../wiki/Recovery
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 05:47 PM   #2735
ngandjui
Rep
Drives: Bmw E84

Ok Google

Hi Everyone
Some good news on my side with the PX6 android 8 Unit.
I now have OK google voice command working
Here are the steps i did:
1 - Install Google assistant from the playstore.
2 - At first launch it should ask you to update google app from Playstore (Google Beta version)
3 - After that you should be able to launch Google assitant but not beeing able to turn voice recognition ON.
4 - Turn Google Beta into a system app. I recommend making a backup of the app first (i used titanium backup, it might work with lucky patcher also). Titanium backup operation to turn Google into a system app stayed pending for like 15 min so at some point i just forcelose the app in the apps settings.
5 - Launch Google assistant again, it should ask you to install Google beta app again and when you accept and go to the playstore the The google beta app will show with no button to install or open in Playstore
6 - Reboot unit (you can do it trought factory settings)
7 - When unit is back on, launch google Assistant again and Voila, follow instructions on the screen and google voice recognition should now be ON

Second good news. I have always wanted to get rid of the default music app. but it seemed to be the only one recognizing previous or next track steering wheel buttons. i tried a bunch of different music player and can confirm that Poweramp recognizes previous and next track by default. so i froze the default music app and with tasker, Poweramp get launched at boot. coupled with the fact that Poweramp as an option to resume music playing at app start, that is the perfect setup for me at the moment. You can see in pictures that Poweramp does intercept the next and previous command.

What will be cool now, would be to redirect the music tile in ID7 to Poweramp. Also to be able to force my unit to always boot in android by default. I found out that it boot in android only when i had one of the native app active at least once during usage (music, bluetooth, video). If none of those apps ran at least once, at next reboot it goes to bmw side and i have to wait for complete boot and touch the screen to switch back to android
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #2736
Pondaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngandjui View Post
Hi Everyone
2 - At first launch it should ask you to update google app from Playstore (Google Beta version)
3 - After that you should be able to launch Google assitant but not beeing able to turn voice recognition ON.
4 - Turn Google Beta into a system app. I recommend making a backup of the app first (i used titanium backup, it might work with lucky patcher also). Titanium backup operation to turn Google into a system app stayed pending for like 15 min so at some point i just forcelose the app in the apps settings.
5 - Launch Google assistant again, it should ask you to install Google beta app again and when you accept and go to the playstore the The google beta app will show with no button to install or open in Playstore
7 - When unit is back on, launch google Assistant again and Voila, follow instructions on the screen and google voice recognition should now be ON
Hey there, thank you for your instructions.
I tried everything step by step, with the addition of Step 0 (uninstall Google & Google Assistant and reboot) since I had these before. Still the same issue. When I opened Assistant in Step 7 it did not have any instructions. I then went to Voice Match and it showed it grayed out still

I thought there was an option to always start the screen in either the BMW side or remember where it was closed.

Also, in regards to the music tile... There is a way to update the apk launched either by a configuration file within the system or you can edit the Launcher APK and reinstall it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #2737
ngandjui
Rep
Drives: Bmw E84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondaire View Post
Hey there, thank you for your instructions.
I tried everything step by step, with the addition of Step 0 (uninstall Google & Google Assistant and reboot) since I had these before. Still the same issue. When I opened Assistant in Step 7 it did not have any instructions. I then went to Voice Match and it showed it grayed out still

I thought there was an option to always start the screen in either the BMW side or remember where it was closed.

Also, in regards to the music tile... There is a way to update the apk launched either by a configuration file within the system or you can edit the Launcher APK and reinstall it.
Hi my friend. you can maybe try to reset google assitant memory and cache in the app settings before opening it at step 7. That should make the app go through the initial setup again. Also have you confirmed that the conversion of Google to an system app was done (you can see in my picture that Google app is written in red color wich means it is a system app).

I haven't found any option so far to always start unit in android side in the factory settings.

Could you maybe show me where i can find the configuration file to launch another app from the tile. In the pas i tried editing the Sysvar Database file of eventcenter. That was the only place i found that had the music package name but it did not work.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:22 AM   #2738
freddy_kruger
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90

Quote:
Hi Everyone
Some good news on my side with the PX6 android 8 Unit.

Second good news. I have always wanted to get rid of the default music app. but it seemed to be the only one recognizing previous or next track steering wheel buttons. i tried a bunch of different music player and can confirm that Poweramp recognizes previous and next track by default. so i froze the default music app and with tasker, Poweramp get launched at boot. coupled with the fact that Poweramp as an option to resume music playing at app start, that is the perfect setup for me at the moment. You can see in pictures that Poweramp does intercept the next and previous command.

What will be cool now, would be to redirect the music tile in ID7 to Poweramp. Also to be able to force my unit to always boot in android by default. I found out that it boot in android only when i had one of the native app active at least once during usage (music, bluetooth, video). If none of those apps ran at least once, at next reboot it goes to bmw side and i have to wait for complete boot and touch the screen to switch back to android
Thanks for the tips . I have tried on my 7.1 Unit but titanum doesnt work cause no Root . How to Root 7.1 Unit ?
Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 07:32 AM   #2739
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
https://github.com/chinesebmwheaduni...o/wiki/Rooting
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #2740
lehtee
Private
Rep
Drives: F20

Wrong topic

Last edited by lehtee; 09-05-2019 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: wrong topic
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 05:02 AM   #2741
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

I have an android 8 unit and I have noticed it is capable of doing an "instant on". When i press the car ignition button the unit is fully working in Android side in a second.
But most of the time it does not do this "instant on" and does the usual "slow" boot up.
Anyone knows what triggers the "instant on" or the "slow" boot up ?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #2742
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cederron View Post
I have an android 8 unit and I have noticed it is capable of doing an "instant on". When i press the car ignition button the unit is fully working in Android side in a second.
But most of the time it does not do this "instant on" and does the usual "slow" boot up.
Anyone knows what triggers the "instant on" or the "slow" boot up ?
In my experience, after completely disconnecting the power (F series for about 30sec. after switching off the ignition) Android unit starts like any other android phone or tablet after shutdown. Until then, it will not turn off at all, and when you turn on the ignition again behind this time, only the screen just turns on, because the unit is still not turned off

Last edited by smahel; 09-06-2019 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #2743
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
In my experience, after completely disconnecting the power (F series for about 30sec. after switching off the ignition) Android unit starts like any other android phone or tablet after shutdown. Until then, it will not turn off at all, and when you turn on the ignition again behind this time, only the screen just turns on, because the unit is still not turned off
That is true.
But in E60 - at least - if you press the radio knob button in CCC even the android unit is shut off the last radio station is playing but the screen is off. That means that the main system ( CCC ) has power but in different powerline that the android unit is using.
That is puzzling me since the android headunit is getting power from the CCC.
so why the CCC powers on and the android unit does not?
After that CCC will remain alive for 15 minutes if i am correct before the system turns it automatically off.
Maybe some rewiring will solve the issue and let the android unit be alive until the system powers off itself but i am bored to remove all the panels again for that.
I am also concerned if i do the rewiring if the system locates some drain and do not let the system shut off itself . That will lead to a flat battery !

As to solve it from the android head unit itself it is an MCU issue . Many other head units have an option for how long you like it to stay alive after power off .
Our units do not have this option.
I asked FRED about that but he did not respond.

Last edited by koutsouk; 09-06-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #2744
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I don't know. But what I remember when I had the E92 (year 2008 with CCC), at terminal 30 the voltage turned off just after about 15 minutes. For the F series it is about the 30s.
I would say that adjusting the MCU would not help. As soon as terminal 15 is turned off, the unit remains in any case unpowered...

Last edited by smahel; 09-07-2019 at 08:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #2745
Pondaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi my friend. you can maybe try to reset google assitant memory and cache in the app settings before opening it at step 7. That should make the app go through the initial setup again. Also have you confirmed that the conversion of Google to an system app was done (you can see in my picture that Google app is written in red color wich means it is a system app).

I haven't found any option so far to always start unit in android side in the factory settings.

Could you maybe show me where i can find the configuration file to launch another app from the tile. In the pas i tried editing the Sysvar Database file of eventcenter. That was the only place i found that had the music package name but it did not work.
Hi there!
Yup, the Home app was a system app. I also tried clearing cache and data for the Assistant and Home but nothing.

In regards to the config file, I thought there was one, but this may be just for the Maps.
You could edit the launcher apk file with an APK Editor like this one:
https://youtu.be/0rRdyD_ld80
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:38 AM   #2746
freddy_kruger
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90

Quote:
I didn't found any prerooted rom for 7.1 Unit
Do you have link to download ?
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #2747
RuLzgzF30
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hello everyone, I have been disconnected for a while but I have not stopped doing things on the screen. The big problem I had now was that the GPS board stopped working, I bought a GPS antenna via USB VK-162 but I can't get it to work, I have to install the PL2303.ko module but I don't know how to do it, just in case someone can you help me.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #2748
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Quote:
As I said my unit does some sort of sleep.
This morning after the car being off all the weekend it turned completely on in Android side in a second.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #2749
rafaelSorel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48 116d

Finally I have installed the rear view camera bought from aliexpress for about 40$, the mounting took me around 4 hours, I have actually passed the cables on the floor-luggage compartment to the right door sill cover strip and finally to the dashboard.

Actually I have seen many mountings that goes above the right windows underneath the trim, this is actually very dangerous , as there is the lateral airbag over there and nothing must be fixed above it (BMW documentation said so !).

The camera is working perfectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:35 AM   #2750
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederron View Post
As I said my unit does some sort of sleep.
This morning after the car being off all the weekend it turned completely on in Android side in a second.
Can you give a little bit more information about your HU, maybe we find out why your does this

can you share a screenshot of your system information screen ?

have you got OS updates from your vendor ? or even better, MCU update file ?

Chri
Appreciate 0