F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone shop at Waitrose?
ARMA SPEED

11-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Anyone shop at Waitrose?

If you do, then you're probably being ripped off!

We shop at Aldi & Lidl because the food is superb and cheap, I guess this explains why!!

Same food made in the same factory, just with different labels on it!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocial-facebook
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
If you do, then you're probably being ripped off!

We shop at Aldi & Lidl because the food is superb and cheap, I guess this explains why!!

Same food made in the same factory, just with different labels on it!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ocial-facebook
I used to work for one of the UKs biggest convenience food producers, I can tell you that it does not happen for the vast majority of items we made as they were made in bespoke factories that only produced for one customer....

There were a few common things, but in the main bespoke ingredients and packaging. Oh and very bespoke attitudes to the quality of the food versus the price and whose margin was affected by attempts to lower the retail price....
Appreciate 2
teaston10994.50
RustyBitz1573.50
      11-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post

Same here, been doing that for the last 12 years or so ever since being in Germany...... although do use Waitrose at times & Costco.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      11-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Marks & Spencer's food is the best out of the supermarkets but doing your weekly shop there unless single would be wallet ripping.

We've started to supply Lidl and are doing millions with them now it's taken a while but we've had to broaden the customer base and they are continuing to eat the big 4 lunches, their overhead cost is eye watering meaning they simply cannot compete.
      11-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

One thing with Lidl and Aldi is the queuing situation...annoys me but other than that no issues using them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #6
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

90% of our shopping comes from Ocado, I really couldn't care if it's rebadged Aldi so long as I don't have to spend my spare time in supermarkets. Looking forward to their partnership with M&S so I can get closer to 100% from them.
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      11-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
One thing with Lidl and Aldi is the queuing situation...annoys me but other than that no issues using them.
This, I don't get why our local Lidl doesn't have a self serve aisle. Half the time there are queues of people with a few items interspersed with those with large shops and it takes ages to get through, not to mention, opening a till and then closing it 2 minutes later.

Otherwise, saved tons of money buying stuff from Lidl instead of the main supermarkets.
      11-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
This, I don't get why our local Lidl doesn't have a self serve aisle. Half the time there are queues of people with a few items interspersed with those with large shops and it takes ages to get through, not to mention, opening a till and then closing it 2 minutes later.

Otherwise, saved tons of money buying stuff from Lidl instead of the main supermarkets.
Overheads, convenience and service costs money.
      11-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Aldi and Lidl are great, this isn't news to you surely though Teaston? Not just cheap but the quality of some of their food product makes Tesco etc laughable.

I do have quite a problem knowing which is which, genuinely.

Also whomever came up with the idea of the random aisle, you know the one, skiing goggles etc. Pure genius, keeps me entertained, distracted/taking up a sport I dont even play while real shopping gets done.

Mr Choc is a hero.
      11-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post

I think some ones in Northampton area may have the self serve tills...they were trialling them out. Prob is i guess they still need a staff member to reset every 5 mins when you get the dreaded "Unexpected item in bagging area"...aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

We use Tesco for the weekday shop as it's closest - but everything is tasteless crap. We used to live opposite Morrisons and it's much better - but too much of an across town faff now.

I tend to go into chef mode at the weekends so always use Waitrose. It's a calmer experience but so expensive it's unreal - I should knock it on the head really. Apart from my beloved Burford Browns - there is NO other egg.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I went to a Lidl a few weeks ago to grab a few essentials : squash, cereal, etc.

All unheard of brands all of which tasted awful. It pretty much went in the bin or down the drain.

Never again.

Ocado is more expensive but it's good quality, is delivered on time, saves me the hassle, and the customer service is professional and polite.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #13
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

I just tend to use the local food banks, leave the car round the corner, slip my fingerless gloves on, pick up a load of stuff and shoot off.

No tills or anything, absolute belter!
Appreciate 3
Bibbles778.50
R0B1535.00
DB118D1026.00
      11-18-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Overheads, convenience and service costs money.
I can't say that the big supermarkets are excelling at service either tbh, if you ask someone where something is, they'll just point to an aisle or tell you the number, often getting it wrong. I must say that Waitrose is an exception to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Aldi and Lidl are great, this isn't news to you surely though Teaston? Not just cheap but the quality of some of their food product makes Tesco etc laughable.

I do have quite a problem knowing which is which, genuinely.

Also whomever came up with the idea of the random aisle, you know the one, skiing goggles etc. Pure genius, keeps me entertained, distracted/taking up a sport I dont even play while real shopping gets done.

Mr Choc is a hero.
Agreed about the quality of some of the foods is on par if not better than any of the other supermarkets - Lidl's premium Beglian Chocolate Ice Cream is a particular favourite of mine.

Middle of Lidl is and awesome idea, picked up most of my power tools from there at a fraction of the cost of going to B&Q or Wickes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
I think some ones in Northampton area may have the self serve tills...they were trialling them out. Prob is i guess they still need a staff member to reset every 5 mins when you get the dreaded "Unexpected item in bagging area"...aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Ruislip has them IIRC, but then that involves getting dressed, going to the car and driving to the store, whereas our local one is a stone's throw away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I went to a Lidl a few weeks ago to grab a few essentials : squash, cereal, etc.

All unheard of brands all of which tasted awful. It pretty much went in the bin or down the drain.

Never again.
I have to agree about the cereals generally, but generally they're pretty good on taste and quality IMO.
      11-18-2019, 11:31 AM   #15
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
90% of our shopping comes from Ocado, I really couldn't care if it's rebadged Aldi so long as I don't have to spend my spare time in supermarkets. Looking forward to their partnership with M&S so I can get closer to 100% from them.
THIS.

We used to physically shop in Tesco's then click and collect as we both work full time and long hours. Got fucked off with shit service and even worse quality.

Moved to Ocado a number of years ago. Neither of us like going physical food shopping when there are far better things to be doing with our time.

Having been to my local Lidl and had food practically thrown at me by the cashier once scanned I haven't really gone back. I did go back a second time and had the same experience and walked out leaving £30 worth of shopping in a pile on her checkout.

Ocado for our main shop with top-ups from M and S. Can't wait for M and S to co-op with Ocado!

We are DINKy's though which helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

With Waitrose you are also paying for a more ethical approach in certain areas, including how they treat their people (partners).

We shop at all of Waitrose, Asda, Sainsbury's and Lidl. Each has their winning products and reasons for us being there. For branded stuff, Asda is usually a clear value winner, so that's the bulkiest shop of the four.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      11-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Never again.

Ocado is more expensive but it's good quality, is delivered on time, saves me the hassle, and the customer service is professional and polite.
Typical brand snob. That's why Lidl sell some branded stuff amongst their own stuff as there's still the uneducated few that actually believe there are dedicated factories that make the so called inferior own brand products, when in fact a lot of it comes from the same factories.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I repeat. I used to work for a company that made lots of unbranded stuff, mainly for the big 6.... very different recipes, often different factories, clearly different attitudes. But you keep on believing...

I shop at Sainsburys for what its worth. Most convenient.
Appreciate 2
335dX430.00
      11-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Typical brand snob. That's why Lidl sell some branded stuff amongst their own stuff as there's still the uneducated few that actually believe there are dedicated factories that make the so called inferior own brand products, when in fact a lot of it comes from the same factories.
I'm afraid you might not be quite right.

It might be in the same factories but different grades and quality of food stuffs.

A friend of mine works for a flour producer. They bag for all of the large supermarkets and all have different grades of flour being sold as plain flour in both branded and own branded bags.

This would be the same for most food - same factory, different production run ergo different grade of food going into whatever they're making.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #20
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I repeat. I used to work for a company that made lots of unbranded stuff, mainly for the big 6.... very different recipes, often different factories, clearly different attitudes. But you keep on believing...

I shop at Sainsburys for what its worth. Most convenient.
They don't listen mate
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
We use Tesco for the weekday shop as it's closest - but everything is tasteless crap. We used to live opposite Morrisons and it's much better - but too much of an across town faff now.

I tend to go into chef mode at the weekends so always use Waitrose. It's a calmer experience but so expensive it's unreal - I should knock it on the head really. Apart from my beloved Burford Browns - there is NO other egg.
Couldn't agree more.

Tesco carrots

They're orange
They're perhaps vegetables
They're devoid of any nutrition

Terrible quality. We love tried our best to avoid as much as possible. Quality bs volume, I wonder if it will be possible to feed us all in the way we need/want much sooner. Deep man.
      11-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #22
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
I'm afraid you might not be quite right.

It might be in the same factories but different grades and quality of food stuffs.

A friend of mine works for a flour producer. They bag for all of the large supermarkets and all have different grades of flour being sold as plain flour in both branded and own branded bags.

This would be the same for most food - same factory, different production run ergo different grade of food going into whatever they're making.
You've just told me I might not be quite right then proceeded to describe a rational that is in line with what I said.

I only said they were made in the same factory not that they were the same product.

Although you don't have to do much in the way of research to come across numerous articles on blind tasting that generally shows unbranded food is as popular as branded food.
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00