F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > My car is CPO. Can I still mod/tune?
proTUNING Freaks

05-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #1
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i X-drive M Sport

My car is CPO. Can I still mod/tune?

I thought my warranty expired in 2000 miles and just realized my CPO goes for another 18 months. Can I still mod/tune or am I out of luck until the CPO expires? I was going to install a catted dp and charge pipe as well as Bootmod3.

Thanks in advance for the input.
      05-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
TheShadow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34dean View Post
I thought my warranty expired in 2000 miles and just realized my CPO goes for another 18 months. Can I still mod/tune or am I out of luck until the CPO expires? I was going to install a catted dp and charge pipe as well as Bootmod3.

Thanks in advance for the input.
If your engine blows up your out of luck. If you have a good relationship with your service advisor and dealership Is cool, things like VCG and OFHG are still covered
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If your engine blows up your out of luck. If you have a good relationship with your service advisor and dealership Is cool, things like VCG and OFHG are still covered
Got it. Will my dealership still provide my CPO service with my mods? I can always flash back to my stock setting before I bring it in for service?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #4
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Got it. Will my dealership still provide my CPO service with my mods? I can always flash back to my stock setting before I bring it in for service?
You would have to ask them. Nobody here would know.

05-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
If the ecu has been flashed, it will be detected if hooked up to the mothership.

Flashing back to "stock" will be detected as well.

These are not new things, it's just the flash increment will go up, and they will notice if major work is required. So just "flashing back to stock" really isn't stock
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

They will find any chance to void your warranty, always been this way, so i would not tune it until warranty is done.
      05-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
If the ecu has been flashed, it will be detected if hooked up to the mothership.

Flashing back to "stock" will be detected as well.

These are not new things, it's just the flash increment will go up, and they will notice if major work is required. So just "flashing back to stock" really isn't stock
There are some tools that purport to prevent the flash counter from advancing, but they can still detect the flash from other evidence left behind. It is a risk you take with flashing apart from MPPSK. If you use a bolt on tune this isn't a flash but a manipulation of input sensor data to cause the DME to increase boost to compensate so it is more difficult to detect if you remove the bolt on and drive a few miles before bringing it in, as any history in the black boxes will be overwritten, but it is no guarantee they won't see an anomaly and suspect something. (Like if it generates a check engine light and gets recorded and the code makes it look like a tune.). Maybe a cool SA will look the other way or if you're using a DINAN tune they might be more cool with it but no guarantees.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

Uggghh. I was really looking forward to BM3.
Waiting another 18 months sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Uggghh. I was really looking forward to BM3.
Waiting another 18 months sucks.
Funny that I’m reading this now after I just asked my SA if tuning would void the new car warranty (2k miles left) and the CPO. Was told tuning would void. Lowering it, however, wouldn’t void.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

We kind of beat this to death in here, but a "tune" doesn't automatically VOID your warranty. They can deny a warranty claim if they can prove the aftermarket modification (of any kind, including lowering) caused the failure of the component. Yes, they will try to deny warranty claims for just about everything if possible because the warranty company doesn't want to pay, just like you don't want to pay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

FWIW, I have a CPO and installed bm3. Gimme dat POWAH!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post

There are some tools that purport to prevent the flash counter from advancing, but they can still detect the flash from other evidence left behind. It is a risk you take with flashing apart from MPPSK. If you use a bolt on tune this isn't a flash but a manipulation of input sensor data to cause the DME to increase boost to compensate so it is more difficult to detect if you remove the bolt on and drive a few miles before bringing it in, as any history in the black boxes will be overwritten, but it is no guarantee they won't see an anomaly and suspect something. (Like if it generates a check engine light and gets recorded and the code makes it look like a tune.). Maybe a cool SA will look the other way or if you're using a DINAN tune they might be more cool with it but no guarantees.
I agree, a lot of variables are stored, not over written, if you look at the error codes generated in bimmerlink, you'll see how many variables are stored, so they will most likely find out. Unless you restore to OEM and drive for a week then wipe all the codes clean, maybe you can get away with it. Having no codes is suspicious too, because unless you just wiped it, every bmw has error codes before it's even sold, just like mercedes.
      05-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
We kind of beat this to death in here, but a "tune" doesn't automatically VOID your warranty. They can deny a warranty claim if they can prove the aftermarket modification (of any kind, including lowering) caused the failure of the component. Yes, they will try to deny warranty claims for just about everything if possible because the warranty company doesn't want to pay, just like you don't want to pay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

FWIW, I have a CPO and installed bm3. Gimme dat POWAH!!!!
Just like ANY (Life, Auto, Home Warranty, ANY type of "insurance" offered, the people who sell the insurance will DENY, DENY, DENY claims until a) you are dead, b) you stop bugging them. I once had some STUPID rep tell me that the rotors on my new (3500 miles at the time) Corvette warped because I drove through puddles and they would NOT cover the issue.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      05-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #13
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

^exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Just like ANY (Life, Auto, Home Warranty, ANY type of "insurance" offered, the people who sell the insurance will DENY, DENY, DENY claims until a) you are dead, b) you stop bugging them. I once had some STUPID rep tell me that the rotors on my new (3500 miles at the time) Corvette warped because I drove through puddles and they would NOT cover the issue.
Insurance / warranty is essentially gambling. You're betting the cost of the warranty will be less than the cost of the repairs covered under warranty. The warranty company is betting the cost of the warranty will exceed the cost of the repairs. Sometimes you win, sometimes they win.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:00 AM   #15
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Funny that I’m reading this now after I just asked my SA if tuning would void the new car warranty (2k miles left) and the CPO. Was told tuning would void. Lowering it, however, wouldn’t void.
New CPO warranty doesn't cover most suspension components so that's probably why you were told that. My new car suspension warranty got voided when my dealer flagged my dinan springs

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 10:50 AM   #16
34dean
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm leaning MPPK now. Just need to find the best price!
      05-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #17
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

i would just get as much warranty work done and out of the way,

throw some oil on the OFH and Oil cooler and tell them theres a leak and they can fix it for you, throw some oil on the valve cover and have them repalce the gaskets for you

and mod after.
      05-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #18
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

My buddy just leased a new M3 competition and threw BM3 on it after 1200 miles...just need to find a good service advisor.
Appreciate 1