F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Lane Departure Warning / Speed Limit Info
proTUNING Freaks

02-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Lane Departure Warning / Speed Limit Info

Hi all,

I have been doing some research around lane departure warning. All indications are that the LDW, uses the same camera as the Speed Limit info.

The questions I have:

1. Does anyone know if the above is in fact the truth
2. If yes could one enable LDW via coding (I see references to it everywhere in the FDL's)
3. When I was test driving a car with SLI, I noticed it reconized not only speed limit info but also indicated certain road signs in this case it showed the speed limit and above it, it showed:

Do we know what signs the SLI system can show and / or is it codeable?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

LDW uses the Top View cameras located under the side mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
I am pretty sure LDW uses KAFAS camera, as does SLI and HBA, unless you have only HBA in which case you get the cheaper FLA Only Camera.

I think if you have KAFAS Camera and factory SLI, LDW should be codeable. However, if one has KAFAS Camera and factory LDW, SLI can be coded, but it can't be enabled without a 7E FSC Enabling Code issues by BMW AG.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I am pretty sure LDW uses KAFAS camera, as does SLI and HBA, unless you have only HBA in which case you get the cheaper FLA Only Camera.

I think if you have KAFAS Camera and factory SLI, LDW should be codeable. However, if one has KAFAS Camera and factory LDW, SLI can be coded, but it can't be enabled without a 7E FSC Enabling Code issues by BMW AG.
So I have SLI and the high beam / head light camera (two cameras) on my F30.

Looks like this:

I know for LDW it vibrates the steering wheel, and has lights on the side mirrors. But I also I know that you get a message on the Kombi and on the HUD.

@shawnsheridan you want to give it a go with me see if we can get it working ? I am sure I can get a FSC code for it
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFastM3 View Post

Looks like this:

I know for LDW it vibrates the steering wheel, and has lights on the side mirrors. But I also I know that you get a message on the Kombi and on the HUD.

@shawnsheridan you want to give it a go with me see if we can get it working ? I am sure I can get a FSC code for it
Doing some research here is the reverse where they have LDW and trying to turn on SLI...

Wonder if we can go the other way
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Ok what do you need from me so I can show you all th eoptions
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

here is my option list (minus some paint and trim things )

[1163] 8TH_SPEED_LIMIT_INFO
[1195] 6WA_INSTRUMENT_CLUSTER_WITH_EXT_CONTENTS
[7] 216_SERVOTRONIC
[17] 302_ALARM_SYSTEM
[28] 3AG_REAR_VIEW_CAMERA
[30] 403_GLASS_ROOF_ELECTR
[34] 423_FLOOR_MATS_VELOUR
[35] 428_WARNING_TRIANGLE
[37] 431_INTERIOR_REAR_VIEW_MIRROR_ANTI_DAZZLE
[38] 441_SMOKERS_PACKAGE
[51] 481_SPORT_SEATS_DRIVER_FRONT_PASSENGER
[53] 493_STORAGE_COMPARTMENT_PACKAGE
[59] 502_HEADLIGHT_WASHER_SYSTEM
[60] 508_PARKDISTANCECONTROL
[61] 520_FOG_LIGHTS
[62] 521_RAIN_SENSOR
[63] 522_XENON_LIGHT
[65] 524_ADAPTIVE_HEADLIGHTS
[66] 534_AUTOM_AIR_CONDITION
[69] 544_CRUISE_CONTROL_BRAKING_FUNCT
[72] 5AC_HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT
[79] 609_NAVIGATION_SYSTEM_PROFESSIONAL
[80] 610_HEAD_UP_DISPLAY
[103] 698_DVD_CODE_2_ECE_ME_SA_JP
[113] 775_HEADLINER_ANTHRACITE
[125] 823_HOT_CLIMATE_VERSION
[133] 8SD_SUMP_GUARD_COUNTRIES
[134] 8SM_VIN_VISIBLE_FROM_OUTSIDE
[191] 337_M_SPORTS_PACKAGE
[196] 710_M_LEATHER_STEERING_WHEEL
[203] 861_MODIFICATION_CODING_DATASET
[303] 704_M_SPORTS_SUSPENSION
[558] 249_MULTIFUNCTION_F0R_STEERING_WHEEL
[612] 614_PREPARATION_INTERNET
[615] 715_M_AERODYNAMICS_PACKAGE
[1101] 8TG_ANTI_THEFT_SYSTEM
[1163] 8TH_SPEED_LIMIT_INFO
[1195] 6WA_INSTRUMENT_CLUSTER_WITH_EXT_CONTENTS
[1305] 4MR_INT_TR_FIN_ALU_HEXAGON
[1318] 2NH_M_SPORT_BRAKE
[1350] 8TN_DAYTIME_LIGHTS_ABOUT_LIGHTMENU_ADJUSTABLE
[1411] 6NR_BMW_APPS
[1470] 688_HARMAN_KARDON_SURROUND_SYSTEM
[1777] 6AL_BMW_LIVE
[2096] 6NS_COMFORTTELEPHONY_WITH_EXT_SMARTPHONE
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

And if I look at my coding modules I get: KAFAS2 [5d]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Fenster
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Hi all,

I have been doing some research around lane departure warning. All indications are that the LDW, uses the same camera as the Speed Limit info.

The questions I have:

3. When I was test driving a car with SLI, I noticed it reconized not only speed limit info but also indicated certain road signs in this case it showed the speed limit and above it, it showed:

Do we know what signs the SLI system can show and / or is it codeable?
That indicator means you're in a no-passing zone. Disabled in the US because we generally use lane markings to indicate passing/no-passing zones, not signs.
      02-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
That indicator means you're in a no-passing zone. Disabled in the US because we generally use lane markings to indicate passing/no-passing zones, not signs.
In my country we do use those signs, I see its off on my car maybe using the USA setting do you know where it is?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
In my country we do use those signs, I see its off on my car maybe using the USA setting do you know where it is?
I never had to code it, but here seems a good place to start:

02-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #12
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I never had to code it, but here seems a good place to start:

Thanks Fenster!!! Quick question do you have driver assist Lane departure on your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Fenster!!! Quick question do you have driver assist Lane departure on your car.
Yes, I have LDW.
      02-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I have LDW.
I have seen some forum postings of people trying to turn on SLI when they have LDW and other Driver assists, apparently they work on the same cameras.

Now I have SLI and High Beam assist (Two cameras). I am wondering if I could turn on LDW...

I notice you have KAFAS2 - I have the same module..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have seen some forum postings of people trying to turn on SLI when they have LDW and other Driver assists, apparently they work on the same cameras.

Now I have SLI and High Beam assist (Two cameras). I am wondering if I could turn on LDW...

I notice you have KAFAS2 - I have the same module..
Are you building this car from scratch?

LDW uses the cameras in the side mirrors (see post #2), not sure what they are called or what module controls them. SLI and HBA cameras are in the windshield, so I don't think having SLI and HBA implies that you can get LDW.

Edit: Post #3 says LDW is on KAFAS, and shawnsheridan tends to know about these things....

Edit: see http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_warning.html

"Lane Departure Warning is a driver assistance system that is based on a video sensor. A camera integrated near the rear-view mirror takes an image of the 50 m of road ahead of your BMW during the day or within the headlight beam at night."

Last edited by Fenster; 02-10-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #16
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you building this car from scratch?

LDW uses the cameras in the side mirrors (see post #2), not sure what they are called or what module controls them. SLI and HBA cameras are in the windshield, so I don't think having SLI and HBA implies that you can get LDW.

Edit: Post #3 says LDW is on KAFAS, and shawnsheridan tends to know about these things....

Edit: see http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e_warning.html

"Lane Departure Warning is a driver assistance system that is based on a video sensor. A camera integrated near the rear-view mirror takes an image of the 50 m of road ahead of your BMW during the day or within the headlight beam at night."
I hear what you saying about building the car from scratch. No I am not but I do like to play with things esp things that are workable.

From what I have read LDW is based on the cameras in the windscreen. Since I have both that's why I was wondering if I could get it working. The guys over at F10 forum tried to do the things the other way round they had LDW and tried enabling SLI since they use the same /similar cameras (depending on what settings / options you have as per Shauns post).
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
I hear what you saying about building the car from scratch. No I am not but I do like to play with things esp things that are workable.

From what I have read LDW is based on the cameras in the windscreen. Since I have both that's why I was wondering if I could get it working. The guys over at F10 forum tried to do the things the other way round they had LDW and tried enabling SLI since they use the same /similar cameras (depending on what settings / options you have as per Shauns post).
OK, I have no more insights on this, other than I enabled Road Edge Warning for LDW in section 3020 (TLC_CODING) of the KAFAS2 module. Apparently TLC=LDW, so you might start there.
      02-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK, I have no more insights on this, other than I enabled Road Edge Warning for LDW in section 3020 (TLC_CODING) of the KAFAS2 module. Apparently TLC=LDW, so you might start there.
Thanks for the help so far. If you don't mind could you send me your file so I can compare?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
Fenster
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far. If you don't mind could you send me your file so I can compare?
Sent.
      02-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you very much got it!

Shaun is there anything I need to add to the co?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #21
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:

Looks like this:

Quote:
Doing some research here is the reverse where they have LDW and trying to turn on SLI..

Wonder if we can go the other way
It seems you did not understand what I wrote:

Quote:

If one has only HBA and no SLI or LDW, then they have FLA ECU and not KAFAS, and it cannot be coded for SLI and / or LDW.

If one has KAFAS ECU, it should be capable of being coded to do SLI, LDW, and or HBA; however, SLI also requires a 7E FSC Enabling Code before it can work, and LDW will work, however it will not vibrate the steering wheel unless the Vibrator is retrofitted in the Steering Wheel. The Triangles on the Side Mirrors are for 5AG Active Blind Spot Detection and have nothing to do with LDW.

You have KAFAS ECU which is one single ECU that is capable of SLI, LDW, and HBA. It may have multiple cameras or lenses, but it is a single ECU. To add LDW, you do not need an FSC Code. The FSC Code is needed for SLI only. You should be able to add 5AD to your VO and VO Code Kombi and KAFAS for LDW to work (without vibration of course).

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #22
MyFastM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It seems you did not understand what I wrote:

If one has only HBA and no SLI or LDW, then they have FLA ECU and not KAFAS, and it cannot be coded for SLI and / or LDW.

If one has KAFAS ECU, it should be capable of being coded to do SLI, LDW, and or HBA; however, SLI also requires a 7E FSC Enabling Code before it can work, and LDW will work, however it will not vibrate the steering wheel unless the Vibrator is retrofitted in the Steering Wheel. The Triangles on the Side Mirrors are for 5AG Active Blind Spot Detection and have nothing to do with LDW.

You have KAFAS ECU which is one single ECU that is capable of SLI, LDW, and HBA. It may have multiple cameras or lenses, but it is a single ECU. To add LDW, you do not need an FSC Code. The FSC Code is needed for SLI only. You should be able to add 5AD to your VO and VO Code Kombi and KAFAS for LDW to work (without vibration of course).
Thank you I understand now, ill go read up on how to add 5AD and Vo code the ECU.
Appreciate 0