F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Variable BMW High Beam Assistant in USA?
ARMA SPEED

01-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #89
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

I'm new to coding, so sorry for the noob question. I have a 2012 335i and have never noticed the tunnel when using my high beam assist. Can someone confirm if I have the hardware to code this?

S522A Xenon-LichtXenon Light
S524A Adaptives Kurvenlicht Adaptive Headlights
S563A LichtpaketLight package
S5ACA Fernlichtassistent High-beam assistant
S5APA Decodierung blendfr. Fernlicht Assistent Decode antiglare High-beam Assistant
S8S4A Decodierung variable Lichtverteilung Decoding variable light distribution

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #90
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
I'm new to coding, so sorry for the noob question. I have a 2012 335i and have never noticed the tunnel when using my high beam assist. Can someone confirm if I have the hardware to code this?

S5APA Decodierung blendfr. Fernlicht Assistent Decode antiglare High-beam Assistant

Thanks.
Yes, you have the hardware, but you haven't seen tunneling because it is disabled. You need to remove these and code car:

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2014, 07:15 PM   #91
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post

Thanks.
Yes, you have the hardware, but you haven't seen tunneling because it is disabled. You need to remove these and code car:

Thanks Shawn! I really need to order the cable and start coding. However I am cautious as I have a older MacBook (not sure it can run a virtual machine / windows).

I may just go buy a cheap windows laptop.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #92
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

Did this last night and was very impressed with the high beam action.

Driving home today with low beams, it seems the bean does more adjustment... Almost seems dimmer or lower. Anyone else have comments on this? Is it another part of the feature or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #93
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
Did this last night and was very impressed with the high beam action.

Driving home today with low beams, it seems the bean does more adjustment... Almost seems dimmer or lower. Anyone else have comments on this? Is it another part of the feature or am I missing something?
Yes, I've noticed it too; with just the low beams, the lights move around a lot more than they did without glare-free enabled. I don't see then being dimmer or lower though, just adapting more to the environment.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #94
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Yes, I've noticed it too; with just the low beams, the lights move around a lot more than they did without glare-free enabled. I don't see then being dimmer or lower though, just adapting more to the environment.
Hmm, after playing around with the beams in my garage, it seems that one big difference is my low beam left headlight is always pointed off to the left side when the car is straight; if I engage the normal high beam by pulling the stalk, it turns back to a perpendicular aligmnent. You guys see this behavior?

Time to do some googling
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #95
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
Hmm, after playing around with the beams in my garage, it seems that one big difference is my low beam left headlight is always pointed off to the left side when the car is straight; if I engage the normal high beam by pulling the stalk, it turns back to a perpendicular aligmnent. You guys see this behavior?

Time to do some googling
Update: I think it's this feature:

"The light distribution is automatically adapted to the speed when you have adaptive headlights. The city light is active as of a speed of less than 50km/h (30mph). The motorway light is switched on at a speed higher than 110km/h (68mph) after approximately 30 seconds or as of a speed of 140km/h (87mph)."

source: http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753006

I'm trying to find a UK or AUS version of the manual to see if this feature is described, but have no luck. Either way, that explains why it goes straight when I'm backing up and goes straight when going at a faster speed. Not sure how useful this particular feature is though!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #96
JoinTheRace
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d F31 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
I also found these:

C_HBA_HGWY_V_LO
Werte=5A
threshold velocity for leaving highwaymode.
5A = 90 kph (55 MPH)

C_HBA_HGWY_V_HI
Werte=8C
threshold velocity to get in highwaymode directly
8C = 140 kph (87 MPH)

Not sure what the highwaymode is and how different it is from the HBA mode triggered by going above 43 MPH.

Here is the answer to what these values do.

Motorwaylight I

From a constant driving velocity of around 90 km/h, the motorway light can be activated. Levelling motors thereby lift the projection module (of the left headlamp in right hand drive) successively. With increasing speed the power of the Xenon lamp is raised to 37 W improving the illumination range from 130 m up to 160 m. When driving with high speed on motorways, this means a significant safety advantage.

This would make sense in having coded the headlights now with What they should be doing with HBA it is the increase of wattage in the xenon's that I've notice as well.

Last edited by JoinTheRace; 02-10-2014 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #97
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Awesome thread!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #98
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Frogman, did we activate the Motorway feature or is it there by default once you get rid of the "decode"?
      02-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #99
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Frogman, did we activate the Motorway feature or is it there by default once you get rid of the "decode"?
It's there by default once the "decode" is removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #100
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
It's there by default once the "decode" is removed.
Cool thanks.
      02-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #101
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Hi,

Does the LED package on the 435 comes with this option for US specs cars or will I need to do coding too?

Thanks.
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #102
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Hi,

Does the LED package on the 435 comes with this option for US specs cars or will I need to do coding too?

Thanks.
I doubt it will come enabled as it is not allowed in the US because of the current (and out of date) DOT rules.

Check your options code list (via one of the VIN decoders).

If your car has 5AP and/or 8S4, then it's disabled on your car, but can be enabled via coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #103
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I decided that rather than write up a long and mostly duplicate procedure of things that are already in other instructions, I'll just try to describe the procedure here. It's only a few different steps from normal coding operations.

1. Before you try to do anything else, you need to to change some E-Sys settings.

Start E-Sys and click on Options, then Settings... A settings window will be displayed, click on the Options tab. You need to UNCHECK the "Update VCM after TAL execution" and "Update MSM after TAL execution" switches (Thanks Shawn!). This prevents Code/FDL Code operations from writing modified FA's back to the car. It should look like this:

Now proceed to connect to the car and then go to the Expert Mode, Coding like normal.

2. Read the Vehicle Order and the SVT as usual.

3. Now, in the Vehicle Order section, click Save and save the file to disk. Saving the VO will enable the Edit button.

4. Click on the Edit button. This will load the FA editor. Edit the FA as needed (in this case, remove 5AP and 8S4, or in the case of enabling EBT, change 6NH to 6NK or 6NS) and click on the Blue Floppy icon on the toolbar to save the changes to the HDD. Then click the Green Left Arrow Icon on the toolbar to go back to expert coding mode.

5. A window will pop up asking if you want to reload the FA into the coding window. You do want to reload the FA, so click Yes.

E-Sys will now return to the Coding module and will be loaded with the modified FA.

6. You can now activate the FA and VO Code the necessary ECU's.
For Glare Free High Beams, VO Code FEM_BODY and FLA/KAFAS2 (depending on what you have).
For Enhanced Bluetooth VO Code CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY or just HU_NBT (depending on what you have).
The modified FA will be used to initialize the ECU settings that you VO code, but the modified FA will not be written back to the car.

7. If any of the ECU's you just VO coded had previous custom FDL coding, then these FDL setting changes will have to be re-applied. VO Coding resets all ECU FDL settings back to factory default, which is why the ECU's are VO coded in the first place!

If you want/need to write a modified FA to the car some some reason, you can still use the "How to change FA in F-series car" procedure. See :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=2
Tried Frogman's method this past weekend on cinetic's F31 with DA+ (KAFAS). We couldn't get glare-free HBA working without resorting to writing the modified FA back to the car, and then VO coding the FEM_BODY and KAFAS modules.

After we finally got the glare-free HBA working, i got to experience what it felt to be driving in front of one. When the HBA was engaged, whether it was both headlamps in high beam mode or just one, looking back in the rearview mirror, it's definitely brighter but not glaringly so. If a car is not equipped with auto-dimming mirrors, i wonder how it would feel to be driving in front of a vehicle with the HBA engaged.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #104
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tried Frogman's method this past weekend on cinetic's F31 with DA+ (KAFAS). We couldn't get glare-free HBA working without resorting to writing the modified FA back to the car, and then VO coding the FEM_BODY and KAFAS modules.

After we finally got the glare-free HBA working, i got to experience what it felt to be driving in front of one. When the HBA was engaged, whether it was both headlamps in high beam mode or just one, looking back in the rearview mirror, it's definitely brighter but not glaringly so. If a car is not equipped with auto-dimming mirrors, i wonder how it would feel to be driving in front of a vehicle with the HBA engaged.
Strange, I coded snowghosts' car using the above procedure (he has the KAFAS camera too) and it worked fine. I've done others doing this and have not had that issue. Is his a 2014 model? I've only done this on '12's and '13's.

He and I also did a test a few nights ago on a dark two-lane road.

With him following me I usually just saw the right high beam on as the left was dimmed / angled down because of on-coming traffic. It looked a bit strange, like one bulb was out.

When both high beams were on (no other traffic), it was eerie, I could tell that the lights were a bit bright, but not annoyingly so. I could also see that the sides and ahead of the road by my car were much brighter, like being in a light tunnel; very strange feeling. I then had him flash his highs manually and man, that was blinding!
him
So, the anti-glare feature really does work. It's strange and others drivers may find it distracting, but it does not glare them!

Last edited by Frogman; 03-03-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #105
ktula
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Strange, I coded snowghosts' car using the above procedure (he has the KAFAS camera too) and it worked fine. I've done others doing this and have not had that issue. Is his a 2014 model? I've only done this on '12's and '13's.
His F31 definitely has newer firmware than my 09/13 built F31 because i was unable to read most of the coding data the first time i tried it. I had to install the latest PSdzData to finally get that working.

It is very possible when i was using your method initially, when i was VO coding the FEM_BODY and KAFAS modules, i was VO coding "CAFD....." under the modules instead of the modules themselves. It was getting late last night and we were running out of ideas so we decided to do the modified FA method. We may give your method another try when we find the time to do this again.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 02:56 PM   #106
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
His F31 definitely has newer firmware than my 09/13 built F31 because i was unable to read most of the coding data the first time i tried it. I had to install the latest PSdzData to finally get that working.

It is very possible when i was using your method initially, when i was VO coding the FEM_BODY and KAFAS modules, i was VO coding "CAFD....." under the modules instead of the modules themselves. It was getting late last night and we were running out of ideas so we decided to do the modified FA method. We may give your method another try when we find the time to do this again.
Or, you could just write the original FA back to the car...

Again, the only thing we are trying to do by not writing the FA to the car is to avoid any potential issues when taking the car in for service. If the modified FA isn't an issue when updating the programming, then there is no reason not to write the modified FA to the car. I think I remember seeing that someone doing this and BMW simply restored the factory FA to his car.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 09:39 PM   #107
Halsifer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

Yeah, I made this mistake. I have a F30 built 11/21/13 with the KAFAS module and it didn't work initially when I made the mistake. But when I followed Frogman's instructions properly, it worked immediately.
2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #108
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Bit of a long shot here, I have a European spec 2012 F25 with:

S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S5ACA High-beam assistant

Does anyone know if the F25 with these options can do anymore than the standard HBA and cornering light function (which is all mine do) i.e. the light tunnel effect etc.
      03-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #109
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Bit of a long shot here, I have a European spec 2012 F25 with:

S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S5ACA High-beam assistant

Does anyone know if the F25 with these options can do anymore than the standard HBA and cornering light function (which is all mine do) i.e. the light tunnel effect etc.
It looks like you have all of the necessary hardware, why not just try to enable it and see what happens? You can always revert it back to factory settings if it doesn't work.

Something you can check without changing anything or needed E-Sys:

Does your FA have codes 5AP and 8S4? These are the codes that disable the dazzle-free and extra adaptive modes. If you have those codes, then it will very likely work by removing them. If you don't have them, then there was no need for BMW to disable the feature and it probably won't work.

You can check if you have those codes without any equipment; use one of the online VIN decoders to see if your car has these codes.

Good luck and please report back!

PS. I'm not sure if the European versions use the same codes or not. I'm only going off the US spec'ed cars. Yours may be different.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #110
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
It looks like you have all of the necessary hardware, why not just try to enable it and see what happens? You can always revert it back to factory settings if it doesn't work.

Something you can check without changing anything or needed E-Sys:

Does your FA have codes 5AP and 8S4? These are the codes that disable the dazzle-free and extra adaptive modes. If you have those codes, then it will very likely work by removing them. If you don't have them, then there was no need for BMW to disable the feature and it probably won't work.

You can check if you have those codes without any equipment; use one of the online VIN decoders to see if your car has these codes.

Good luck and please report back!

PS. I'm not sure if the European versions use the same codes or not. I'm only going off the US spec'ed cars. Yours may be different.
Hi, codes 5AP and 8S4 do not appear in my VIN decode. I'm not sure if the advanced features were ever implemented in the F25 - maybe just the AHB and cornering function. The lamps on my car move in response to differing road speeds and steering angle, also when the fog lamps are enabled the headlights move to a lower wider position but maybe that's all...