F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech - Amp Upgrade - HiFi Only (F3x / F8x)
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #727
JJFox
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

I’m planning on running a wire into the cabin for easy access I’ll probably run it to come out under the passenger side of the center console.

Just wanted to update that I ended up going with the match 7 instead of the bimmertech. I hadn’t seen that it had come out when ordered the bimmertech. I cancelled my order on the bimmertech, but I may still receive it, and if I do I’ll post up a comparison as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #728
JJFox
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive

Just an update. The Match Up7 BMW is pretty awesome with stock speakers. I’m incredibly surprised the stock speakers are this capable. Its much louder, and it retains the same sound quality at much higher volumes with a proper tune. Bass response is much better surprisingly. I really think the stock base system was pretty great, compared to any base system in any car I’ve driven (I deal with a lot of rentals), it was just way too quiet for me.

I do have to say that I’m running all the gains pretty much maxed out, and had to boost my whole EQ several DBs to get the volume I wanted. If ads are correct, that means the stock speakers are taking around 65w and the woofers 100+rms. I was getting way more distortion at max volume stock than I am at max volume now. Even with the amp pushing as much as it can it still could be a hair louder, my last car with a full pro audio spl setup and a top of the line pioneer touchscreen with 16 band eq was louder (duh!! But Sound quality was nowhere near this good), But I’m pretty happy with it, it’s more than loud enough. I needed to get out of my ear bursting phase anyways.

Knowing that, and knowing the the speaker specs that have been posted by billfitz and others on this forum, I question what the purpose of replacing the stock speakers is. People complain about the tweeters, and the woofers, but they keep up no problem. Its very clear that the issues that the stock system had were an underpowered amp that was being overdriven, causing speakers to distort, And crossovers that were a little Off.

I don’t see how replacing the speakers could ever do much at all for anybody, unless you got a way more powerful amp than either bimmertech or the up7. Even then, I’d question how much more capable they would be. I’m really glad I went with my gut and replaced the amp instead of speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2018, 09:59 PM   #729
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFox View Post
Knowing that, and knowing the the speaker specs that have been posted by billfitz and others on this forum, I question what the purpose of replacing the stock speakers is.
The purpose of course is to get better sound. The reality is that there's very little improvement to be made over the stock drivers. But advertising for driver 'upgrades' aren't going to say that. Just yesterday I came across a new BMW specific replacement under seat woofer. According to the ad copy 'the no compromise design is a significant improvement over the stock BMW driver.' Well, while advertising may lie, the math always tells the truth, and in this case the math says that the stock BMW driver is better.
Appreciate 1
335JTSD20.50
      10-27-2018, 12:26 AM   #730
335JTSD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sapphire Black 435 GC

I was all jazzed up to get a Bimmertech or Match Up7 until I learned they don't offer for the H/K Top Hifi. I wouldn't mind paying extra for the simplicity of swapping it in. Thank you guys for the information on the stock speakers, really good to know we don't need to upgrade them unless we want a super high end system. That will save a lot of money down the road. Now if I can figure a reasonable cost solution to getting a clean signal to my stock H/K speakers and add a sub. Time to search and read more!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #731
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

I am going to sell my bimmertech amp if anyone is interested
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #732
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Perhaps bit off the main topic, I'm wondering who can explain the differences between the 82DSP and 86DSP Bimmertech amplifiers?

Thanks / Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #733
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
I am going to sell my bimmertech amp if anyone is interested
PM me with price
      10-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #734
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all I am selling my bimmertech amp for £600 if anyone is interested. I will put a post up soon
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #735
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej@BimmerTech View Post
Hi Bill,

The PP86 is the improved version of the PP82. The differences that come in handy in real life:

More processing power (for example the additional delay on the tap comes in handy in certain applications during tuning)

More DSP channels - now each of the speaker level channels has it's own DSP channel and on top of that there is a 9th DSP channel dedicated for the RCA outputs which allows the user to add a monoblock+sub and tune it without interfering with the speaker level tunes. This isn't all that important to most users, but I've had customers inform me that it did come in handy.
Thanks...what about BlueTooth audio streaming?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #736
trevneal2015
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 535XI

SOS

installed the pp86dsp and i cannot get my laptop to connect to the unit. i wasnt too worried before but i added a subwoofer amp but it will not get any signal from the bimmertech amp HELP!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #737
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevneal2015 View Post
installed the pp86dsp and i cannot get my laptop to connect to the unit. i wasnt too worried before but i added a subwoofer amp but it will not get any signal from the bimmertech amp HELP!!!!
What version of Windows? (Tho I don't think it matters?)

I think when I first connected to my 82DSP (Win 10) the OS searched for a USB serial device driver on the web and then installed it, after I was connected to the Audiotech-Fischer software.

This might be your issue.

I sort of doubt the sub amp would be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #738
Earlybirdy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC xDrive

Quote:
You need to download and install the driver FT232R USB UART. The driver and installation instructions can be found in the following link.
https://www.usb-drivers.org/ft232r-usb-uart-driver.html

I had the same connection problem with a laptop running Windows 10 and a Windows XP laptop. After installing the driver on both laptops, they connected to the amplifier.

Without the above driver installed, the DSP-PC-Tool software will stay in demo and not connect to the amplifier.
Appreciate 1
ronanz1818.00
      12-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #739
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

If you go to Windows task bar and look for the dsp program there will be sub bar to install the driver
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #740
davenam
Registered
Rep
Drives: E82

Hi
TOday I have tried to connect PP86DSP i bought. The led turns green so the power is on but no sound from it to the speakers . Do i need to connect to PC for the amp to work properly ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #741
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenam View Post
Hi
TOday I have tried to connect PP86DSP i bought. The led turns green so the power is on but no sound from it to the speakers . Do i need to connect to PC for the amp to work properly ?
If the cable/wiring of the amp to the car's speakers is correct you should get sound. External computer connection is needed only to add or modify the sound profile stored in the amplifier memory.

It is possible that a computer was previously used and the operator turned off sound to every available channel, but that would seem very unlikely. You could easily verify this by connecting a PC and running the Audiotech Fisher software.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #742
dembinsk
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 F80 w/Titanium EP

PP86DSP no signal to external subwoofer amp??

Quote:
I have the same "no signal from PP86DSP" to external sub-amp. Everything works as advertised (full alpha 1 speaker replacement completed), but I wanted to add a sub-amp and pair of 10" subs in the trunk. PP86DSP powers on, sound comes through all the alpha 1 speakers, the Rockford Power sub-amp powers up as well (remote wire from PP86DSP works), but no sound to the subs which are powered by the Rockford Power sub-amp. I tested the sub-amp and sub-woofers themselves on another setup I have and they work perfectly.

This leads me to believe their is no signal from the PP86DSP. I am using the stock BimmerTech F30 HiFi system file.

Do I need to enable the mono low level output? Or is this enabled by default? Nelson@BimmerTech

Last edited by dembinsk; 05-09-2019 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #743
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by dembinsk View Post
I have the same "no signal from PP86DSP" to external sub-amp. Everything works as advertised (full alpha 1 speaker replacement completed), but I wanted to add a sub-amp and pair of 10" subs in the trunk. PP86DSP powers on, sound comes through all the alpha 1 speakers, the Rockford Power sub-amp powers up as well (remote wire from PP86DSP works), but no sound to the subs which are powered by the Rockford Power sub-amp. I tested the sub-amp and sub-woofers themselves on another setup I have and they work perfectly.

This leads me to believe their is no signal from the PP86DSP. I am using the stock BimmerTech F30 HiFi system file.

Do I need to enable the mono low level output? Or is this enabled by default? Nelson@BimmerTech
Connect to a PC then go into the IO and configure the appropriate channel with input and output and it will play.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:41 PM   #744
Elvin86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34gt

Need fil for my pp86dsp please link
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:50 PM   #745
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin86 View Post
Need fil for my pp86dsp please link
A sure way for your post to be ignored is to put it at the end of a zombie thread with a totally unrelated title. Start a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2023, 01:36 PM   #746
Elvin86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34gt

Ok rhanks friends
Appreciate 0