F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > pierburg vs oem boost solenoid
GetBMWParts

10-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

pierburg vs oem boost solenoid

thinking about swapping my boost solenoid/pressure converter, usually a 1-3 psi from target and hoping this fixes it. I've read pierburg is a supplier for bmw, so is this one of those cases where I'm saving because the part doesnt say "bmw". or should I pay the extra money and get the oem one? thanks!
      10-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
thinking about swapping my boost solenoid/pressure converter, usually a 1-3 psi from target and hoping this fixes it. I've read pierburg is a supplier for bmw, so is this one of those cases where I'm saving because the part doesnt say "bmw". or should I pay the extra money and get the oem one? thanks!
You are 1-3psi below boost target in your logs? Can you post a couple?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
You are 1-3psi below boost target in your logs? Can you post a couple?
the most recent one I took looks a little wierd which is making me think boost solenoid. the boost target is linear, just not boost. and wgdc looks okay from what I've read makes me think it's not a leak, but reading logs is still new to me.

10/22/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...=0&data=14

05/15/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...#38;mark=48-49

04/21/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...#38;mark=36-65

04/05/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...15&mark=73
      10-22-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
the most recent one I took looks a little wierd which is making me think boost solenoid. the boost target is linear, just not boost. and wgdc looks okay from what I've read makes me think it's not a leak, but reading logs is still new to me.

10/22/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...?log=0&data=14

05/15/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...-15&mark=48-49

04/21/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...=14&mark=36-65

04/05/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...2-3-15&mark=73
I assume you are PWG, so your WGDC does look a bit lower than mine as EWG. I have done about 20 logs and have been emailing MHD about my boost being below target as well. Your WGDC seems to spike up and down quite a bit, but maybe that is normal for PWG? Not sure.

The difference between your boost and boost target is very similar to what i have been seeing in my MHD stage 1 logs. I still havent really figured it out. Its the same situation where boost fluctuates up and down a bit throughout a pull while the target remains relatively flat.

Are you auto or 6MT? I assume 6MT because your logs are in 3rd. Do you reach boost targets if you do a log in a higher gear? In mine, i am way off target in 1st and 2nd, closer in 3rd, and typically reach target in the top of 4th. I finally got to do 5th and a little 6th the other day (im 8AT) and boost was pretty much exactly on target (I wish i logged but just took advantage of the open road while watching monitor module on my tablet).

Here is one of my best ones for comparison:
https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...=0&data=5-6-25
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

10/22/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...=0&data=14

05/15/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...#38;mark=48-49

04/21/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...#38;mark=36-65

04/05/2019
https://datazap.me/u/dreamerjoe/log-...15&mark=73
I assume you are PWG, so your WGDC does look a bit lower than mine as EWG. I have done about 20 logs and have been emailing MHD about my boost being below target as well. Your WGDC seems to spike up and down quite a bit, but maybe that is normal for PWG? Not sure.

The difference between your boost and boost target is very similar to what i have been seeing in my MHD stage 1 logs. I still havent really figured it out. Its the same situation where boost fluctuates up and down a bit throughout a pull while the target remains relatively flat.

Are you auto or 6MT? I assume 6MT because your logs are in 3rd. Do you reach boost targets if you do a log in a higher gear? In mine, i am way off target in 1st and 2nd, closer in 3rd, and typically reach target in the top of 4th. I finally got to do 5th and a little 6th the other day (im 8AT) and boost was pretty much exactly on target (I wish i logged but just took advantage of the open road while watching monitor module on my tablet).

Here is one of my best ones for comparison:
https://datazap.me/u/thejeremyman9/4...38;data=5-6-25
yea, I'm 6mt and pwg, and its wierd how it fluctuates. if it was a linear loss or farther from target with high wgdc I would think it's a leak. but my car is a 2013 w/ 60k miles, I imagine I should swap it out anyway. it's pretty accessible and should be able to do it in my driveway in less than an hour.
      10-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yea, I'm 6mt and pwg, and its wierd how it fluctuates. if it was a linear loss or farther from target with high wgdc I would think it's a leak. but my car is a 2013 w/ 60k miles, I imagine I should swap it out anyway. it's pretty accessible and should be able to do it in my driveway in less than an hour.
Yeah in my logs, i assumed WGDC would just continue to climb until you reach boost target, but i am not sure exactly how the tune is regulating WGDC. I'm probably significantly oversimplifying boost control; I know throttle position is used also, but yours looked consistently high and so does mine.

This might be a noob question, but is this the equivalent of the DV+ for a EWG, or something totally different? Asking because you said you can swap it in less than an hour, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #7
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah in my logs, i assumed WGDC would just continue to climb until you reach boost target, but i am not sure exactly how the tune is regulating WGDC. I'm probably significantly oversimplifying boost control; I know throttle position is used also, but yours looked consistently high and so does mine.

This might be a noob question, but is this the equivalent of the DV+ for a EWG, or something totally different? Asking because you said you can swap it in less than an hour, lol.
its not the DV+, I actually already have the GFB DV+ installed too. you can see it from topside looking down on the passenger side (LHD cars), with a wire harness plugged into it and 2 vacuum lines, small black device. its mounted on the right hand side. looks like this
Attached Images

10-23-2019, 02:50 AM   #8
luchocamp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M2LPower

is that oem turbo ... is a very small unit for a 3.0 engine and also N55 bad turbofold design. Try to increase target boost and check if increases boost.
instagram @luchocampusano YouTube Lucho Campusano
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
its not the DV+, I actually already have the GFB DV+ installed too. you can see it from topside looking down on the passenger side (LHD cars), with a wire harness plugged into it and 2 vacuum lines, small black device. its mounted on the right hand side. looks like this
Interesting, havent really hard about this part failing. Is it the same on EWG and PWG? I have no insight as to whether it could help your boost issues, but it does seem logical.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchocamp View Post
is that oem turbo ... is a very small unit for a 3.0 engine and also N55 bad turbofold design. Try to increase target boost and check if increases boost.
yea, I have oem turbo now. I kind of want to find the reason why my boost is fluctuating a bit before just upping the boost. and I think I would need a jb4 bef to do that, can't modify mhd maps like that, that I'm aware of. thanks for the input

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, havent really hard about this part failing. Is it the same on EWG and PWG? I have no insight as to whether it could help your boost issues, but it does seem logical.
it's not a part that usually outright fails, but may not work as well over time. and I think I'm just gonna fork up the extra $$ for the oem bmw unit, it's an extra $30, not like some parts that can be $100+ cheaper buying direct from manufacture.
      10-24-2019, 07:29 AM   #11
hardparker
Father of Frankenfold
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
yea, I have oem turbo now. I kind of want to find the reason why my boost is fluctuating a bit before just upping the boost. and I think I would need a jb4 bef to do that, can't modify mhd maps like that, that I'm aware of. thanks for the input

it's not a part that usually outright fails, but may not work as well over time. and I think I'm just gonna fork up the extra $$ for the oem bmw unit, it's an extra $30, not like some parts that can be $100+ cheaper buying direct from manufacture.
I swapped the OEM for the Pierburg and found them to be equivalent. I've read that they do tire out over time. Some say they develop a buzz and don't perform as well. Others say they get gunked up and that they can be cleaned with some brake cleaner and compressed air to renew them.

Replacing problematic ones with new ones often solves boost issues. Plenty of people replace them needlessly while chasing other boost issues.
      10-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardparker View Post
I swapped the OEM for the Pierburg and found them to be equivalent. I've read that they do tire out over time. Some say they develop a buzz and don't perform as well. Others say they get gunked up and that they can be cleaned with some brake cleaner and compressed air to renew them.

Replacing problematic ones with new ones often solves boost issues. Plenty of people replace them needlessly while chasing other boost issues.
Can you be a little more specific with solving boost issues and not solving "other boost issues" people are chasing? For example, if you are not reaching/maintaining target boost and have no boost leaks, could this be the cause? I assume DV could also be a cause, right?

Is there any way to test or narrow that down rather than just throwing parts at the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:33 AM   #13
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

I have replaced mine twice (at 95000km now). Both times due to it starting buzzing but never detected any change in functionality.