F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
proTUNING Freaks

10-24-2019, 04:44 AM   #837
Soprono
Rep
Drives: BMW M135 F20

Does anyone have an issue with the Android Sides sounds settings going back to 0? I was stuggling with the audio thinking its the Aux port that I connected but discovered that the Android System settings showed a volume of 0?

Also has anyone got a soft hissing noise when you crank the audio up and play no music or such? Im wondering if this is the quality of the connector?

Lastly what is your fav bluetooth configuration? I keep mine connected to the actual BMW side as I find the interface for handling calls better than the Android side and then have my phone plugged in via cable for HeadUnit Reloaded.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 04:53 AM   #838
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Then I won't install the external speaker and go without that feature.

Still wondering about the Aux in/out connectors on both sides of the quadlocks, though. Do I need that? Mine came pre-connected. One is labeled 'AUDIO IN', the other 'AUDIO OUT'.
Depends on whether your idrive has "front" aux in. I didn't have to change anything to the harness but I have the base audio so might be different.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #839
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Owner View Post
If you are in Android "mode", doesn't matter if you use carplay or any other app to navigate, the sound from the navigation is routed the same way as all other sounds, for example Spotify (over aux input). If you are listening to the original fm radio on the idrive side, the aux input is not active, therefore you would lose navigational instructions, so they inject the sound over the left speaker wire in base audio BMWs since the idrive itself provides speaker out signals and they can just send the voice along with this signal. If you have a MOST signal to the amplifier, they can't inject this since there is only 1 optical cable going to the amp. So they use a different speaker play the navigation sounds.

Edit: maybe I should note that that is the case for me on an f30 with snapdragon and black screen unit ordered from coika on version 2.8.3.
Im gonna test this when I get my car-play adapter, I get that they cant inject the sound via Android but with Carplay the iPhone is doing all the sound it just needs "Dumb" audio out.. Over my 3.5 mm today with my iPhone i get my music & nav audio fine and connected via carplay I would think its all traveling over the same connection and the iphone would be the brain telling it when to dim the music for navigation info and then then continuing the music.

( I could be completely wrong ) but I wouldnt think it matters when using Carplay specifically.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #840
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

interesting behavior i got a few minutes Back. Started my Car and it booted into idrive (didnt used the Car the last 2 days, so i dont remember if IT was the last i used.)
Tried opening Android. Taping Screen didnt work, so Holding Mode it is. Top my suprise i got the no Signal error. Since i am at a appointment, i cant check If waiting for a shutdown fixes it. For the worst case, any ideas what i could Check or do If the problem still exists?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:14 AM   #841
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkIrata View Post
interesting behavior i got a few minutes Back. Started my Car and it booted into idrive (didnt used the Car the last 2 days, so i dont remember if IT was the last i used.)
Tried opening Android. Taping Screen didnt work, so Holding Mode it is. Top my suprise i got the no Signal error. Since i am at a appointment, i cant check If waiting for a shutdown fixes it. For the worst case, any ideas what i could Check or do If the problem still exists?
Press the mode button on the radio while no signal screen (left side next to volume wheel). It will disappear. And to start android you have to hold menu 3 sec not mode
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #842
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

does anybody understand how the bluetooth works?

in the system settings im using the android bt, not the bmw bt interface.
my phone is connected to the android bt.
when i get called i get a notification and the call is handled through the android system.
my voice is transmitted crystal clear, my voice is 100% not transmitted through my phone microphone (tested with phone in the trunk). somehow the android unit must be able to use the bmw microphone which is also used in the bmw bt.

if i try to use google assist, the voice is not picked up at all, i have no microphone connected to the android unit.

is there any way to force the android unit to use the bmw mic for this?
there should be a way if it can use the mic for bt calls.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #843
rpc180
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Press the mode button on the radio while no signal screen (left side next to volume wheel). It will disappear. And to start android you have to hold menu 3 sec not mode
addikt might want to try this?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #844
DarkIrata
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F31), 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Sorry meant menu button
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #845
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Im gonna test this when I get my car-play adapter, I get that they cant inject the sound via Android but with Carplay the iPhone is doing all the sound it just needs "Dumb" audio out.. Over my 3.5 mm today with my iPhone i get my music & nav audio fine and connected via carplay I would think its all traveling over the same connection and the iphone would be the brain telling it when to dim the music for navigation info and then then continuing the music.

( I could be completely wrong ) but I wouldnt think it matters when using Carplay specifically.
I think I explained it poorly, if you use carplay (which will be an app on Android) you get all sound from the phone, to the Android unit, and the Android unit will send it over the aux connection since it's not playing sound on idrive but on Android. You should be fine soundwise, no reason for it to not play correctly
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #846
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Owner View Post
I think I explained it poorly, if you use carplay (which will be an app on Android) you get all sound from the phone, to the Android unit, and the Android unit will send it over the aux connection since it's not playing sound on idrive but on Android. You should be fine soundwise, no reason for it to not play correctly
Awesome and thank you for clarifying, Im assuming its for native navigation which my car does not have
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #847
addikt
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 xi (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc180 View Post
addikt might want to try this?
Thanks, Shrazy and rpc180 , but no luck, and Avin support has now told me that they can't help me until i can prove that my factory equipment works (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, anymore, though it certainly worked when i started). At this point, OEM equipment just shows me the BMW logo for a couple minutes, goes dark, then shows the logo again. I think the iDrive unit it shot ... yay. I'm going to try and return this unit, pay the restocking fee, and cut my losses, though it bums me out, and i've spent about 20 hours working on this.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 04:38 AM   #848
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by addikt View Post
Thanks, Shrazy and rpc180 , but no luck, and Avin support has now told me that they can't help me until i can prove that my factory equipment works (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't, anymore, though it certainly worked when i started). At this point, OEM equipment just shows me the BMW logo for a couple minutes, goes dark, then shows the logo again. I think the iDrive unit it shot ... yay. I'm going to try and return this unit, pay the restocking fee, and cut my losses, though it bums me out, and i've spent about 20 hours working on this.
Don't give up no signal can also occur because of not right sitting cables, this was the case for me at the beginning. Maybe they have losen up with the time, just reconnect all wires and test it again. important is the quadlock which does not sit very good all time, check it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:41 AM   #849
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
For those of you who find Android build in microphone, lets say "below standard", I might have a solution. You will be able to use your BMW mic for both original iDrive and Android unit. It involves opening android unit, splicing to cables on android quadlock extension and you need to know how to use a soldering iron:
1. You have to locate connector X13814 on the quadlock (this does apply to CCC E60 and E63, not sure about newer models, you have to check with TIS). Pin 1 is mic+ and pin 6 is mic-.
2. Splice some extension cables long enough to reach Android unit.
3. Open up Android unit, locate microphone and its soldering pads.
4. Desolder mic and solder in your extension leads from X13814 accordingly.
5. Put everything back.
6. Enjoy.

Haven't done it myself as I'm still waiting for my unit to arrive, but I think BMW microphone is much better than what comes with these units.

Some picture for reference.

EDIT: Actually check these pins with TIS for your car anyway, as I can't guarantee this will apply to anything else than E63 CCC.
Attached Images

Last edited by RedErik; 10-25-2019 at 06:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Movnmik14.50
      10-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #850
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
Thank you for sharing, this is the same 2.8.3 update.
I also got 2.8.3 sent again from my vendor today, it seems this is now the latest overall software version.
Can these app upgrade files be used for all units, both CCC, CIC and NBT? Version 3.0.0 is out now.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 07:00 AM   #851
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Haven't done it myself as I'm still waiting for my unit to arrive, but I think BMW microphone is much better than what comes with these units.
These units have connector for external mic, you can use that instead of opening the unit.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 07:10 AM   #852
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
Can these app upgrade files be used for all units, both CCC, CIC and NBT? Version 3.0.0 is out now.
Normally yes, do you have a link for us? i can check the image, and also do a test on my CIC unit.

chri
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #853
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirjam View Post
These units have connector for external mic, you can use that instead of opening the unit.
Oh well... as I said, still waiting for my unit to arrive so I'm not fully aware what actually comes with them. However, if these do have an external mic input you can still follow steps 1 and 2 and wire that in.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #854
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Oh well... as I said, still waiting for my unit to arrive so I'm not fully aware what actually comes with them. However, if these do have an external mic input you can still follow steps 1 and 2 and wire that in.
I tried my external mic connector of the Snapdragon HU, and it was not working for Google assist, skype or anything else.

i then wrote my Vendor, the answer was kind of "funny", they said external microphones are not supported

Maybe the mic connector does only work with the Bluetooth phone app ?

Chri
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #855
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
external microphones are not supported
Chri
Then back to square one and just hard wire OEM microphone I guess... this will trick Android HU to use OEM instead of built in one. Not faffing about software, configuration, poor support etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #856
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

Quote:
Then back to square one and just hard wire OEM microphone I guess... this will trick Android HU to use OEM instead of built in one. Not faffing about software, configuration, poor support etc.
it has to be possible because the bt in the unit already uses the bmw oem mic somehow.

i quote myself

but i like the idea of hard wiring the mic from oem, ill try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
does anybody understand how the bluetooth works?

in the system settings im using the android bt, not the bmw bt interface.
my phone is connected to the android bt.
when i get called i get a notification and the call is handled through the android system.
my voice is transmitted crystal clear, my voice is 100% not transmitted through my phone microphone (tested with phone in the trunk). somehow the android unit must be able to use the bmw microphone which is also used in the bmw bt.

if i try to use google assist, the voice is not picked up at all, i have no microphone connected to the android unit.

is there any way to force the android unit to use the bmw mic for this?
there should be a way if it can use the mic for bt calls.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #857
kcsmithcyril
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by endursa View Post
I have a 10.25" unit bought form exclusivecarauto in spain ~1 month ago (first week of sep. 2019) for my 2015 F20 116d.

I gotta say, their email support is super fast and helpful! I basically got a replay within a few hours every time. They even took my error reports and also translation reports and forwarded them to the software developer.

Yesterday they notified my that an updated software is ready for download and install: 2.8.3

So far all my problems with music sorting, wifi dropping from my phone hotspot and translation problems have been fixed! android car works perfect with the App head unit reloaded from XDA Head unit reloaded xda and with 4.6beta 5 i can use the full 10.25" inch screen.

the included zlink app works perfectly with car play, and also works with android auto, but not fullscreen.

any questions? I'll be happy to answer

ps: no optical cable, but did not need to route a separate aux cable. aux was detected from the harness already!

I Ordered the Snapdragon 625 version with 1280x720 screen resolution and the type 2 Antiglare, blue filter display. I am happy with the sunlight readability, but as you can see finger prints are quite bad on that coating.
Is your HU NBT or CIC ? some one told me if CIC have to use AUX cable, is it true ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:41 AM   #858
husskad
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 M50D

Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
it has to be possible because the bt in the unit already uses the bmw oem mic somehow.

i quote myself

but i like the idea of hard wiring the mic from oem, ill try that.
the best way to test this is to download an app from the app store to see if you can record your voice, if so then there is an internal mic on android the bmw oem mic will not work as it is not connected to the oem side in any way.
i had this with my unit now i have a external mic and it works great.
Appreciate 0