F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Mysterious rattle without any vibration from passenger side; Trans?Or something else?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
heco94
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 435i X-drive

Mysterious rattle without any vibration from passenger side; Trans?Or something else?

So this started three or four days ago and I've done searching since, to no avail.

My situation is this, I have a 2015 F32 435i X drive with the 6spd manual, and starting from a stand still, under slight lift off on the clutch (in that small period where the clutch is just grabbing but not entirely engaged), OCCASIONALLY, ill heard a rattle from the passenger side. It seems to emanate from the area in my dash just above the glove box and under the windshield. It sounds like your brakes squeaking after you freshly wash your car.

It seems to happen when the car's cold, it doesn't have rhyme or reason, it stays and then goes away, and comes back. There's no sensations, no vibration in the clutch, no vibration in the gearbox, smooth driving, smooth shifting, no RPM fluctuation. In short, apart from this noise, there's nothing that I'm able to identify thats amiss.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I thought it was maybe the hill start feature that these cars have, where it holds your car in gradients so it doesn't roll back. What has happened is that the temperature has dropped over the past week, going fairly suddenly from the 80s to the 30s-40s.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by heco94; 10-19-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0