F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Is going high flow or catless worth it for the LOUD??
Studio RSR

02-17-2017, 01:26 AM   #1
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep
Drives: "Rising Sun" F30 335i

Is going high flow or catless worth it for the LOUD??

Hey all!! I've been wanting to replace my downpipes for a while now primarily for the loudness there potentially may be. I'm running a Borla ATAK catback on my F30 N55 335i for reference. I'm mainly looking for a more prominent roar as I get on it and a much more noticeable burble/pop as I let off the gas. Of course somewhere down the road I'm going for some sort of ecu tune to amplify this effect. My main concern is that I live in California, which is known for its amazingly strict rules on emissions and the penalties for having a catless downpipe are crazy.
So, is the investment into a highflow catted downpipe going to give me what I'm looking for?
And is it worth all of the risk to go catless for the ultimate LOUD?
Please share your stories and your wisdom for a newbie like me
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzlopez13 View Post
Hey all!! I've been wanting to replace my downpipes for a while now primarily for the loudness there potentially may be. I'm running a Borla ATAK catback on my F30 N55 335i for reference. I'm mainly looking for a more prominent roar as I get on it and a much more noticeable burble/pop as I let off the gas. Of course somewhere down the road I'm going for some sort of ecu tune to amplify this effect. My main concern is that I live in California, which is known for its amazingly strict rules on emissions and the penalties for having a catless downpipe are crazy.
So, is the investment into a highflow catted downpipe going to give me what I'm looking for?
And is it worth all of the risk to go catless for the ultimate LOUD?
Please share your stories and your wisdom for a newbie like me

Depends if you're willing to catch the attention of everyone within a 3-4 block radius at WOT

Catless DP with Borla ATAK is extremely loud past 3.5k RPM. (video above)
      02-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
soundwave9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335

I used to run catless with the CG R1 straight pipes, but that was stupid loud (shook the house when I fired up in the garage), stopped being fun after 2 weeks (droned suuuper bad at 3k) and I eventually got pulled over for it. So I sold it and bought the Agency Power catback system. Love that exhaust to death. Its got a side branch resonator on the midpipe section and 3 normal resonators throughout, so it's wonderfully loud but doesn't drone on the highway. Also the exhaust tips have removable baffles so you can slightly the volume. My only gripe is the rear sections sits too high and my tips are starting to melt the exhaust cutouts on my bumper, but that's not the end of the world for me.

Anyway, to answer your question, going catless isn't a huge risk. If you get pulled over your car is off so CHP won't smell how rich your exhaust is so how could they know what you have installed. High flow catted will never be as loud as catless. For the ultimate LOUD you're gonna want a straight pipe catback system with no mufflers.

If you want I can take a video of my system when I find the chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #4
iseven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I run Catless with Boral ATAK, do it, you will love it. Its loud but not too loud to be annoying. You will not get pulled over unless you are doing something stupid.
      02-18-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
anrec330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I went catless dp and straight piped because everyone claimed it would be loud. In all honestly it's not that loud at all. Just drones a lot around 3k Rpms.

My E46 M3 would absolutely destroy my 335 when it comes to loud exhaust.

Will post videos of both later today.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Careless only. High flow not worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseven View Post
I run Catless with Boral ATAK, do it, you will love it. Its loud but not too loud to be annoying. You will not get pulled over unless you are doing something stupid.
Awesome!
I had some questions for you if you don't mind

1)
Running a catless in California is pretty risky, as I've heard. What are your thoughts on it? And how easy do you believe it is to get caught running a catless dp?
2)
Does switching to a catless dp void your BMW Warranty? What about the JB4?

PS
We follow each other on instagram I'm @aka.f30
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
iseven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome!
I had some questions for you if you don't mind

1)
Running a catless in California is pretty risky, as I've heard. What are your thoughts on it? And how easy do you believe it is to get caught running a catless dp?
2)
Does switching to a catless dp void your BMW Warranty? What about the JB4?

PS
We follow each other on instagram I'm @aka.f30
1. I had a talk with a few people, there is a risk for sure, but its not like you running catless on a integra or some rice rocket. Generally cops do not pull our cars over unless its something very obvious. I run some e85 and my smell is not as bad as others I have heard. Also when I see a cop or when I am near them, I do not rev or just switch to eco and chill out. I have not ran into trouble, there are tons of guys in the bay and on this forum that runs catless without problems.

2. Yes, that will void BMW Warranty if they see it on. I would remove it before taking it into service. Same for JB4 if they know its there. JB4 is fairly easy to remove and re install. I do not have any more warranty so =)

PS. Love your car, That red is fire!
      02-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
tzlopez13
Ya Boi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseven View Post
1. I had a talk with a few people, there is a risk for sure, but its not like you running catless on a integra or some rice rocket. Generally cops do not pull our cars over unless its something very obvious. I run some e85 and my smell is not as bad as others I have heard. Also when I see a cop or when I am near them, I do not rev or just switch to eco and chill out. I have not ran into trouble, there are tons of guys in the bay and on this forum that runs catless without problems.

2. Yes, that will void BMW Warranty if they see it on. I would remove it before taking it into service. Same for JB4 if they know its there. JB4 is fairly easy to remove and re install. I do not have any more warranty so =)

PS. Love your car, That red is fire!
Thanks man Same to you. That white is clean.

Also, I don't suppose you have a clip or something showcasing your exhaust setup? It would be really helpful to hear the difference between my catted ATAK and your tuned catless ATAK. Or if you know of a link somewhere to a clip of something similar or the same as your setup?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Also, I don't suppose you have a clip or something showcasing your exhaust setup? It would be really helpful to hear the difference between my catted ATAK and your tuned catless ATAK. Or if you know of a link somewhere to a clip of something similar or the same as your setup?
I got two. First one is catted and second is catless.

02-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #11
iseven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I will record something tomorrow after work.