F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Trunk Spoiler Install Help (M Perf CF)
proTUNING Freaks

09-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Trunk Spoiler Install Help (M Perf CF)

I'm trying to install M Perf CF trunk spoiler on my F32 and after I applied the 3M tape and tried to align it on the trunk I could see the tape on the edges, on the top front side(towards the rear window) was barely touching the trunk, even when I pressed it hard, do I need to double up the tape on the edges? On the rear side and all other parts, the single layer of tape does stick out enough to touch the trunk. :
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 03:40 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
No, you shouldn't need double layers of tape for it to fit properly. I installed the OEM CF rear spoiler on my 435 & it fit perfectly. Only used the one layer of tape that was supplied...

Did the install on a very hot day + used 3M adhesive promoter. Didn't really need the promoter, typically always do it for xtra measure - spoiler fit like a glove.

I did use some of the plastic variety hand clamps on the tips just to make sure it adhered well in those areas
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
No, you shouldn't need double layers of tape for it to fit properly. I installed the OEM CF rear spoiler on my 435 & it fit perfectly. Only used the one layer of tape that was supplied...

Did the install on a very hot day + used 3M adhesive promoter. Didn't really need the promoter, typically always do it for xtra measure - spoiler fit like a glove.

I did use some of the plastic variety hand clamps on the tips just to make sure it adhered well in those areas
BMW includes the tape with it, maybe it is of the right thickness? I bought a used spoiler and got the 3M tape from autozone, however on the front edges the tape just sinks and there isn't enough bulge for it to touch the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Ah, yes I know exactly what you are talking about. The tape you got must be thinner than the tape supplied by BWW
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #5
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Ah, yes I know exactly what you are talking about. The tape you got must be thinner than the tape supplied by BWW
Should I be able to get the same tape from the dealer? Or someplace else? I see 3M recommends 06394 version which is 2.2mm thick.

Last edited by thatBimmerBloke; 09-16-2019 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Get 3m VHB on Amazon.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectBoost View Post
Get 3m VHB on Amazon.
Are you using the same? 3m recommends this 06394 tape for spoilers which is 2.2mm thick as compared to 1.2mm of normal VHB, it also costs around $29 from ebay
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Ended up buying 3M 06397, $30 from Amazon, 3M mentions on their website it's used for spoilers, got the promoter too, the front side of spoiler has some grainy film which might benefit from the promoter. The tape is 1.54mm thick, as opposed to 1.1mm of normal 3M VHB that sells for around $10. Will install this weekend.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61615.50
      09-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #9
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Ended up buying 3M 06397
Yep, you should be good to go.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Now that you've got the tape sorted, for install line it up exactly where you want it. Using painters tape attach one side of the spoiler to the trunk, literally just use a bunch of it on top of the spoiler to fix it in place. There's enough flex in the spoiler that you can lift up the other side and start peeling the permanent tape backing. Once that side is down, remove the masking tape and pull the backing paper off, sticking the second side down.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Now that you've got the tape sorted, for install line it up exactly where you want it. Using painters tape attach one side of the spoiler to the trunk, literally just use a bunch of it on top of the spoiler to fix it in place. There's enough flex in the spoiler that you can lift up the other side and start peeling the permanent tape backing. Once that side is down, remove the masking tape and pull the backing paper off, sticking the second side down.
It has been raining I did put the tape on the spoiler for now, also used the promoter. I didn't get the last part, once I put down the back end after removing the tape backing how will I be able to remove the backing from beneath the top fron end of the spoiler? My plan was to remove backing on both sides at once and then put it down after I aligned it using masking tape.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:54 PM   #12
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Resurrecting this thread again. I'll be installing the spoiler again, for the 3rd time, if I survive the next couple of weeks.
I was thinking of using both betalink and 3M tape. 3M tape for 80% of the area and betalink mostly on the front corners/edges to prevent them from lifting up. Also, should be easier to clear the betalink from a smaller area in case I end up removing the spoiler.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:55 AM   #13
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Dude, whats this action all about?
You start with aligning the spoiler at the trunk w/o tape and other helpers.
If you encounter an improper fitting caused by large gaps you couldnt fix that with additional double or triple layered tape. In that case I would return the spoiler and thats it.
The normal way to install is put the 3M double sided tape first onto the spoiler, into the middle section I had used parallel stripes to cover more of the surface. Then place your spoiler again with covered adhesive strips against the trunk and make a last check. If its fine, remove the cover strips and install that thing. I had started to place the spoiler at the top touching points of the trunk, then make your way downwards until it is resting completely onto the trunk. To keep the pressing force up, I had placed additional some painters tape over the spoiler and the trunk at five places over the whole spoiler and let it rest for one night.
Next day removed and cleaned, worked fine for me. Spoiler had withstanded speeds up to 250kp/h and Im pretty sure, you into the US would never achieve this speed aside of tracks

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #14
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Dude, whats this action all about?
I have already tried this last year with high industrial strength 3M tape but it started lifting on the edges in the front. It would have stayed on the trunk but with those small gaps on the edges which I don't like. Had high pressure on both sides for 2 days. It aligned perfectly but started lifting on 2nd and 3rd day
What I didn't try was clay-baring the trunk first, just used Isopropyl alcohol to clean it, maybe that plays a big part.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:46 AM   #15
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I have already tried this last year with high industrial strength 3M tape but it started lifting on the edges in the front. It would have stayed on the trunk but with those small gaps on the edges which I don't like. Had high pressure on both sides for 2 days. It aligned perfectly but started lifting on 2nd and 3rd day
What I didn't try was clay-baring the trunk first, just used Isopropyl alcohol to clean it, maybe that plays a big part.
So what I read from your lines, you're assuming that one or both surfaces were not clean enough to hold the adhesive onto trunk/spoiler?
Also you have with or without tape 2 small gaps after positioning? That tells me from the distance, that the spoiler is a) not proper shape fitting manufactured or b) is disformed by any cause.

If real deep cleaning of the two surfaces don't fit enough to hold the two parts together and this is at the end a mechanical issue, Im affraid that you have to replace the spoiler then to another one. Alternately try to fit it onto a similar car and check for the present gaps if they are also there.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 04-03-2020 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So what I read from your lines, you're assuming that one or both surfaces were not clean enough to hold the adhesive onto trunk/spoiler?
Also you have with or without tape 2 small gaps after positioning? That tells me from the distance, that the spoiler is a) not proper shape fitting manufactured or b) is disformed by any cause.

If real deep cleaning of the two surfaces don't fit enough to hold the two parts together and this is at the end a mechanical issue, Im affraid that you have to replace the spoiler then to another one. Alternately try to fit it onto a similar car and check for the present gaps if they are also there.
I thought I cleaned pretty well, used alcohol and all There was no gap after I applied tape, I also bought a thicker 3M tape (1.5mm). It installed very well, all in place but then after 2-3 days it started lifting on the corners in the front, not too bad but noticeable and I didn't like that. I have also seen an lot of forum members mentioning lifting of spoiler at the front corners, some suggested betalink as it is way more powerful and takes care of it, it is what BMW uses for the spoilers fitted from the factory.
Also, it is the OEM M-Performance CF spoiler. Now I'm thinking of using tape for most of the parts but betalink on the edges.

But yes, probably the trunk needed more cleaning than that. Will probably still give it another try with just the tape after deep cleaning the trunk. Maybe what I thought was enough cleaning wasn't good enough. Betalink seems a better option as I don't want to go through the process once again after that
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12508.50
      04-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #17
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I appreciate your feedback and yes, give it another try. At mine the 12mm double sided 3M tape did the trick. Good luck out there.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:57 PM   #18
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your feedback and yes, give it another try. At mine the 12mm double sided 3M tape did the trick. Good luck out there.
Thank you This is what I used last time. I think it was $30. 3M suggests this for spoilers on their website.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0