F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > G21 M340i initial impressions
Extreme Powerhouse

12-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #89
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I think many people realise you can have pretty much any colour you want if you're prepared to pay a hefty sum to get it, the complaint is more in regard to the lack of choice when it comes to the no-cost or (relatively!) low cost colours. From what I understand most of the Individual colours shown on the visualiser cost rather more than than any of the option packs available on the M340i and, as they'll add little or nothing to the GFV, that's probably another £50/month on a 4-year PCP (more if the term's shorter).

Having said that BMW are probably no different from the likes of Audi or Mercedes in this respect (infact arguably better as those two tend to offer only solid white as a free colour). However, just because their rivals are even worse doesn't make BMW's choice of standard colours an especially good or appealing one (all IMO of course!).
It's like your only prepared to pay for the set menu yet spend all night complaining about the prices on the ala carte...
      12-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #90
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
I think many people realise you can have pretty much any colour you want if you're prepared to pay a hefty sum to get it, the complaint is more in regard to the lack of choice when it comes to the no-cost or (relatively!) low cost colours. From what I understand most of the Individual colours shown on the visualiser cost rather more than than any of the option packs available on the M340i and, as they'll add little or nothing to the GFV, that's probably another £50/month on a 4-year PCP (more if the term's shorter).

Having said that BMW are probably no different from the likes of Audi or Mercedes in this respect (infact arguably better as those two tend to offer only solid white as a free colour). However, just because their rivals are even worse doesn't make BMW's choice of standard colours an especially good or appealing one (all IMO of course!).
It's like your only prepared to pay for the set menu yet spend all night complaining about the prices on the ala carte...
No, to use your analogy it's more a case of the set menu just being a little too restricted (or at least IMO it is!). On the M340i Touring there are only eight colours offered on the configurator, two of which are white, three of which are grey and two of which are blue. And three of those eight cost an extra £1,100 and hence are already heading towards a la carte (or at least set menu with a supplement!).
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      12-30-2019, 02:05 PM   #91
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

I guess it comes down to where you want to spend your money. The fact that I really like Portimao Blue makes it an easy decision for me. In real life the black wheels look good with the Portimao and don't look as small as they do on the configurator but I would probably go black with silver if I could.
In all honesty I can't think of a BMW colour, past or present, that I really yearn for.
My favourite car colour of all time is actually Audi Sepang blue!
I have to say the Oxide Grey with Black wheels looks great on the configurator but they never look the same in the flesh but I can certainly see the appeal of it.
Still great to have a play on the visualiser so thanks for posting, never seen that before.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #92
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:

No, to use your analogy it's more a case of the set menu just being a little too restricted (or at least IMO it is!). On the M340i Touring there are only eight colours offered on the configurator, two of which are white, three of which are grey and two of which are blue. And three of those eight cost an extra £1,100 and hence are already heading towards a la carte (or at least set menu with a supplement!).
I really don't think it's so bad. My 440i was the only car in the past 15-20 years that I have bought where the paint was free as a new purchase. Free metallic paint. And a really good one (carbon black) at that.

Try Tesla if you really want to see a limited range

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #93
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I really don't think it's so bad. My 440i was the only car in the past 15-20 years that I have bought where the paint was free as a new purchase. Free metallic paint. And a really good one (carbon black) at that.

I think the options are getting worse across many brands. There used to be a silver, a darker grey and a black, maybe a lighter blue and a darker blue, a dark metallic green, a dark metallic red, and perhaps an outlier or two.... now it’s just a bit restricted ......

You did well getting free metallic, be lucky to get anything white and solid black these days...
Appreciate 2
JNW13122.00
      12-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #94
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

I think the options are getting worse across many brands. There used to be a silver, a darker grey and a black, maybe a lighter blue and a darker blue, a dark metallic green, a dark metallic red, and perhaps an outlier or two.... now it’s just a bit restricted ......

You did well getting free metallic, be lucky to get anything white and solid black these days...
I think metallic is free on any MSport BMWs - certainly my 4er and the X5 that I nearly went for.

You're probably right on less choice, but I think that's reflective of public tastes and what has sold in previous generations. Every other car used to be red and black was quite rare. Now we live in a sea of silvers, greys and blacks. People take the safe option.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 07:19 PM   #95
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

I think the options are getting worse across many brands. There used to be a silver, a darker grey and a black, maybe a lighter blue and a darker blue, a dark metallic green, a dark metallic red, and perhaps an outlier or two.... now it's just a bit restricted ......

I think metallic is free on any MSport BMWs - certainly my 4er and the X5 that I nearly went for.

You're probably right on less choice, but I think that's reflective of public tastes and what has sold in previous generations. Every other car used to be red and black was quite rare. Now we live in a sea of silvers, greys and blacks. People take the safe option.
Metallic seems to me tied to the historic 4cylinder and 6cylinder hierarchy.

Thus even the M135i its a cost option. Was it previously when it was a 6cylinder? Same for a 520d MSport, metallic costs as it's 4.
      12-31-2019, 03:59 AM   #96
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryUFM View Post
Malachite Green with 794M wheels...
Just figured out again how to attach pictures...
Attached Images

isleaiw18759.00
kzg19691299.00
      12-31-2019, 04:02 AM   #97
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

I wonder when the lease deals will start to look a bit more realistic.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:24 AM   #98
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
I wonder when the lease deals will start to look a bit more realistic.
Early next decade
      12-31-2019, 05:48 AM   #99
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Early next decade
Not long to go then...
      12-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #100
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

Nice colour paintwork, just need to change the leather...
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:50 AM   #101
GaryUFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G32 630iGT M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Nice colour paintwork, just need to change the leather...
I will not be swayed from the full Fiona Red/Black.

*Unless the Missus says otherwise
      01-01-2020, 02:21 AM   #102
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Anyone know when BMW publish their new quarter deals?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 03:11 AM   #103
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
Anyone know when BMW publish their new quarter deals?
They already have to dealers. Any day now for site updates etc
      01-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #104
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
That’s nice - with Tartufo leather...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #105
nashdm2
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

Guys, I am not your typical M340xi driver, but, I really like the car. I have an F11 at the mo. I think the new M340ix has a good enough build quality to now match the F11.

I also really want a 40i engine in my next car.

So, here is the question.

I am 58 years old. I look for refinenment as my first choice when I am looking for a car. So, through various adjustments, can the car be comfortable, quiet, refined?

I don't want pops and crackles from the exhaust, I want a quiet comfortable ride, BUT, with the capabilities of the new 40i engine. So, can I adjust the settings to get what I want out of the car please?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 05:08 PM   #106
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashdm2 View Post
Guys, I am not your typical M340xi driver, but, I really like the car. I have an F11 at the mo. I think the new M340ix has a good enough build quality to now match the F11.

I also really want a 40i engine in my next car.

So, here is the question.

I am 58 years old. I look for refinenment as my first choice when I am looking for a car. So, through various adjustments, can the car be comfortable, quiet, refined?

I don't want pops and crackles from the exhaust, I want a quiet comfortable ride, BUT, with the capabilities of the new 40i engine. So, can I adjust the settings to get what I want out of the car please?
My (admittedly brief!) test drive in an M340i Touring suggested it was pretty refined (infact it may even be a bit too refined and lacking in raw edge for some). I haven't driven an F11 - so can't say how it compares to one of those - but the G21 was way more refined than my F31 and seemed a significant step forward in just about every other respect as well.

The M340i comes with things like adaptive suspension as standard and in comfort mode I found the ride perfectly acceptable even on run-flat tyres; in comfort you can tell it's a 6-pot petrol when you put your foot down (which is good IMO!) but I didn't detect any intrusive pops and crackles from the exhaust.

However, that's just my opinion and as ever in these situations the answer is to have a test drive yourself and see what you think; your reference point is obviously different from mine and after the F11 you might think the G21 is nothing to write home about in the refinement stakes. However, my money would be more on you being pleasantly surprised with the overall package!
Appreciate 1
rjwojcik281.50
      01-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #107
larven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I’m 3 months and nearly 4K miles into M340i ownership and the car is super quiet and refined in comfort mode when l want it to be. However if you put it in the sports settings it goes up a few notches and you get lots of cracks, pops and a glorious engine noise. My mate drove it and he said it sounded angry in sport plus. It’s also quite loud when you start the engine even in comfort mode but soon settles down to a smooth purr.

I find it’s a car to suit most moods and l use it as a fast, refined cruiser most of the time for my business and family trips.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      01-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #108
nashdm2
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

Thanks for the feedback guys. Some of the words you have used to describe the car has been really helpful. I will get a test drive in one, but, your words have given me hope that it will be my next car. Appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #109
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashdm2 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Some of the words you have used to describe the car has been really helpful. I will get a test drive in one, but, your words have given me hope that it will be my next car. Appreciated.
I'm a touch younger than you but from the sounds of it am probably looking for something similar from my next car in the sense I want it comfortable, refined and understated as a daily driver but with a bit of performance when I want/need it with a chassis to match. I also want the practicality of the Touring for transporting dogs, golf equipment, etc, and for me I think the G21 M340i will fit the bill quite nicely; just waiting for some sanity to emerge on the prices!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #110
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Quote:
I'm a touch younger than you but from the sounds of it am probably looking for something similar from my next car in the sense I want it comfortable, refined and understated as a daily driver but with a bit of performance when I want/need it with a chassis to match. I also want the practicality of the Touring for transporting dogs, golf equipment, etc, and for me I think the G21 M340i will fit the bill quite nicely; just waiting for some sanity to emerge on the prices!
Even on TRL's deals last quarter i think a well specked G21 M340 was £600 deposit and then £700 a month which is crazy money.

The big issue is the residual value on the G21, your looking at £17-18K after 4 years and 32,000 miles. I cant fully remember but i think the GVF on my F31 on a similar deal was £22K ish? Yes it was in massive negative equity as the £22K ish was too high which is why so many Vt'd theirs, plus the lower starting price and we all had good deals. They are going to have to give huge discounts to get down to the £500 deposit and £500ish a month area which is what many are waiting for!

Still haven't seen any signs of any deals for this quarter yet.
Appreciate 0