F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DIY Complete Guide to full LED bulb swap for the F30s with halogen headlights
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #155
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantPropeSL View Post
Hi everyone, newbie here! It seems I've joined the long list of people who hate their halogen headlights. I've been combing through websites for the last couple of years looking for a solution but just didn't feel good about what was out there. That being said, I see this thread started a couple years ago and that many of you have installed LED bulbs. I would appreciate any long term feedback on the bulbs you used and any changes that would be made if you had to do it over again. I've also noticed most of the bulbs that were used (linked) are not longer available. Have there been any updates in technology that results in better lighting? Below is a link for BeamTech J1 Bulbs that look interesting. Does anyone have experience with these and can share their opinion? Thanks for the help!

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...s%2C179&sr=8-6
https://bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #156
GiantPropeSL
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Garage List
2013 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Thanks Littlebear! I appreciate you sharing that link. Definitely a good resource!
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3509.50
      08-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #157
Kopernikus
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Advice

Hi,

I have a BMW X3 F25 from 2016 and I ordered LED lamps with canbus system.
Also I ordered OBD2 adapter & Bimmercode app.

Now my question if LED's are working fine is there still any reason to code from bulb to led and disable voltage check?
Or should I do this only or the LED's who are causing troubles with the car computer or who flicker?
Second thought maybe it was better the buy non Canbus LED's, only dicovered later that I could code halogen to LED...

Thx for any advice
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #158
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Coding isn't optional, it's mandatory. Even if you don't get a bulb out warning coding is necessary to prevent the lights from flashing every minute or so. I bet this question has been answered at least five times in this thread alone.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #159
Kopernikus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Coding isn't optional, it's mandatory. Even if you don't get a bulb out warning coding is necessary to prevent the lights from flashing every minute or so. I bet this question has been answered at least five times in this thread alone.
Billfitz

Thx for your reply, I should read the whole thread before asking...
However I have a question I can't find the answer: I bought my LED bulbs before I discovered Bimmercode, so as a result I bought canbus version. I read somewere when you code it's better to use non-canbus versions, so my question should I return my LEDS en buy the non-canbus version?

Btw, these are the ones I bought:

https://www.topledverlichting.nl/web...licht-set.html

+ reverse, brake etc...

Any good or not?

Thx :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #160
Step83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Angel Eye Passenger Side Not working F30

I just upgraded my OEM lights on my F30 to Depo Angel eyes. Lights work fine, no errors but I noticed my passenger side angel eye and halo rings do not turn on when unlocking my car using my Key Fob. I did notice that it flickers and turns on but immediately turns off, as if it's wants to turn but won't.

The light works perfectly in any other setting... Once car is started, the Halo and angel eye comes on with no issue. It only when unlocking doors. .

Any thoughts of why this may be. Not sure if it's a wiring issue or what.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:59 PM   #161
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 320i xDrive

Does anyone know what I would have to do to make LED H7s work in an LCI (2017) F30 Halogen housing?

The form factors I'm seeing out there don't look like they would fit. My car has this plastic tab that feels permanently attached to the female part of the bulb connector. To change the halogen bulb I'd need something that has the same exact form factor as a halogen H7?

https://www.amazon.com/H7-Newest-Ver...omotive&sr=1-6
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #162
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGengarEX View Post
Does anyone know what I would have to do to make LED H7s work in an LCI (2017) F30 Halogen housing?

The form factors I'm seeing out there don't look like they would fit. My car has this plastic tab that feels permanently attached to the female part of the bulb connector. To change the halogen bulb I'd need something that has the same exact form factor as a halogen H7?

https://www.amazon.com/H7-Newest-Ver...omotive&sr=1-6
For the headlights you will need retainer clips like these: https://www.amazon.com/HUIQIAODS-Hea...s%2C318&sr=8-7
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #163
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
For the headlights you will need retainer clips like these: https://www.amazon.com/HUIQIAODS-Hea...s%2C318&sr=8-7
Interesting, so i would sort of remove the "tri-wing" piece that comes preinstalled and replace with that one? Then I'm assuming the little plastic tab that's in there now just accepts the male plug and hangs around inside the housing? EDIT: Found this video

Also, are the fogs just plug and play?

Last edited by tjk_9000; 08-17-2020 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #164
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, so i would sort of remove the "tri-wing" piece that comes preinstalled and replace with that one? Then I'm assuming the little plastic tab that's in there now just accepts the male plug and hangs around inside the housing? EDIT: Found this video

Also, are the fogs just plug and play?
That video is accurate except there isn't much space to pre-install the ring and adapter. It's hard to get leverage to twist them into place.

I first slid the adapter onto the bulb then the locking ring is supposed to lock the adapter into place. However the adapter was still a little loose so I placed a plastic zip tie behind it to keep it from moving. I then inserted the bulb with the adapter and locking ring into the headlight housing and twisted it into place.

The fogs are plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #165
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
That video is accurate except there isn't much space to pre-install the ring and adapter. It's hard to get leverage to twist them into place.

I first slid the adapter onto the bulb then the locking ring is supposed to lock the adapter into place. However the adapter was still a little loose so I placed a plastic zip tie behind it to keep it from moving. I then inserted the bulb with the adapter and locking ring into the headlight housing and twisted it into place.

Turns out the retainer clips that are supposed to fit, don't.

I was able to get the retainer clip, and the LED collar in there, but the tab on the retainer clip doesn't reach the fastening bolt. Is there another type of clip for an LCI halogen? I know this was redesigned but I saw no mention of different versions of this clip. They all look the same and are sold with gibberish-like descriptions on Amazon.
Attached Images

Last edited by tjk_9000; 08-18-2020 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #166
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Turns out the retainer clips that are supposed to fit, don't.

I was able to get the retainer clip, and the LED collar in there, but the tab on the retainer clip doesn't reach the fastening bolt. Is there another type of clip for an LCI halogen? I know this was redesigned but I saw no mention of different versions of this clip. They all look the same and are sold with gibberish-like descriptions on Amazon.
It's hard to tell from your pic but it almost looks like the clips are facing in the wrong direction. Here is a pic of my bulb with the clip installed:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #167
tjk_9000
alpinweiß
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to tell from your pic but it almost looks like the clips are facing in the wrong direction. Here is a pic of my bulb with the clip installed:
Hey thanks for the reply!

I think I had it arranged the right way, as there really wasn't another orientation I could even experiment with. I spent way too much time trying to do the install blind, before finally trying to really look inside at what was going wrong. I think the issue is that the bolts in place to "catch" the clip are not aligned symmetrically. The one on the left is not directly across the equator of the opening, but rather is offset by about 35 degrees. It appears that the clips I have are entirely symmetrical, which is causing one side to catch, but not the other.

UPDATE: Turns out the clip was bent a little too much during the handling early on. After realizing this, I bent it back. Then I used Loctite SuperGlue to put a tiny dab at the 6/12 positions of the clip/collar. I let that set overnight so the LED collar basically had a "permanent" clip attached to it. This made getting the alignment 100x easier. The entire install after doing this took 10 minutes!

Thanks for the help y'all, the BMW community rules!
Attached Images

Last edited by tjk_9000; 08-19-2020 at 08:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #168
Kopernikus
Rep

Bimmercode + daytime running light

Hi,

I followed this guide and all went fine, also the coding with Bimmercode.
However for my car BMW X3 F25 in the Bimmercode app I have no option to set bulb to led en disable low/hight voltage monitoring for my daytime running lights.

Anyone have an idea to code this through expert modus?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 02:09 PM   #169
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You should be able to find it in the FEM, but probably have to translate it from the original German KALTUEBERWACHUNG and WARMUEBERWACHUNG for the TFL.
Appreciate 0