F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 M-Steering Wheel Color Restore
ARMA SPEED

05-31-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
sshao
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, F30 340i, F30 330i.

F30 M-Steering Wheel Color Restore

I found my steering wheel become very sticky so cleaned it last month, after that I found the color was gone (First and last pics). Some people said it was because the Mr.Cleaner eraser, but whatever, the point is I need to fix it.
It is pretty simple and only cost me around 40 dollar and takes around 2 hours, rescue my faded steering wheel back to new. (Pics in the middle)(I don't know how to edit the order of the pics plz tell me)

What I used: 1. Leather dye (code 0523) from Leather World Technology, 2. 800 grit sand paper, 3. A good leather cleaner, 4. Several pieces of sponge

The only trick is to make the color smooth and average, you probably need to apply the dye for 2-3 times, and the best way for me is to stamp the color with the sponge. Like apply the dye on the sponge first, then tap the sponge on the steering wheel and squeeze the sponge gentle. I have tried different methods including use the paint brushes and the sponge is the best tool to apply the color. A good spray gun could work but you need to cover the center console which makes it not that easy to do it at home, and I don't want to ruin my red interior with the black dye.

The sandpaper I used to polish the steering wheel after the dye is dry is the Carbide Silicone base which can be found on Amazon, 800 grit works for me but I guess 600 should work as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by sshao; 05-31-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
otee10
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Great job! Looks totally restored.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Before applying dye clean the wheel with acetone, to remove dirt and oils, and especially the leather conditioner that's already there. This allows the dye to penetrate the leather, for a uniform color. After dyeing this will give a like new sheen, and preserve the finish and color:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this brand of dye:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
SilkySmoooth
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i MSPORT Estoril Blue

Nice work!!!!!!. And Thank you for sharing.
My steering wheel has 2 little spots on it where the color is lighter. Does the dye match the stock color of the wheel? Could I spot dye?
Or do I need to commit and do the whole wheel like you did?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #5
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySmoooth View Post
Nice work!!!!!!. And Thank you for sharing.
My steering wheel has 2 little spots on it where the color is lighter. Does the dye match the stock color of the wheel? Could I spot dye?
Or do I need to commit and do the whole wheel like you did?
The dye I used has the same color as the original steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 09:06 AM   #6
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshao View Post
Hey, could you post a link to the dye you got from the website? I browsed it came across a couple of packages and really only want to buy what I need.

Do you keep applying dye until the color is completely restored or are you polishing it in between coatings?

...love your wheel btw, mine looks 10x worse than yours and ive been wondering how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #7
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Interesting DIY. My steering wheel is suffering from the same problem, will try to do this method how you did.
One question did you sponged the whole steering wheel or just the parts where it was faded?

Greets
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

For uniform color clean the entire wheel with acetone and then stain the entire wheel.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriske92 View Post
Interesting DIY. My steering wheel is suffering from the same problem, will try to do this method how you did.
One question did you sponged the whole steering wheel or just the parts where it was faded?

Greets
I did it to the whole steering wheel as mine faded pretty bad everywhere. I assume that it is better to apply dye uniformly as there still is a very tiny color difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imquittingthecult View Post
Quote:
Hey, could you post a link to the dye you got from the website? I browsed it came across a couple of packages and really only want to buy what I need.

Do you keep applying dye until the color is completely restored or are you polishing it in between coatings?

...love your wheel btw, mine looks 10x worse than yours and ive been wondering how to fix it.
I am sure it will make your steering wheel at least 80% better. https://leatherworldtech.com/dye-colorant/ ,color code 523, low gloss. I would suggest just clean it with acetone or other leather cleaner and polish with 600 grit sandpaper then apply the dye once or twice. Use sandpaper again after the dye is completely dry. I would not try anything other than the dye as the quality of the steering wheel is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 05:52 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I have always used Colourlock Leather Dye, made in Germany & formulated to match BMW colors exactly

https://www.amazon.com/Colourlock-Le...ay&sr=8-6&th=1
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #12
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I am sure it will make your steering wheel at least 80% better. https://leatherworldtech.com/dye-colorant/ ,color code 523, low gloss. I would suggest just clean it with acetone or other leather cleaner and polish with 600 grit sandpaper then apply the dye once or twice. Use sandpaper again after the dye is completely dry. I would not try anything other than the dye as the quality of the steering wheel is terrible.
Thanks! Im going to order some and try to work on it this week. I was just waiting to hear back from you. Did you go with the 4oz or 8oz bottle? and was the grit sandpaper wet or did you polish it dry?

Last edited by imquittingthecult; 07-20-2019 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
sshao
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Im going to order some and try to work on it this week. I was just waiting to hear back from you. Did you go with the 4oz or 8oz bottle? and was the grit sandpaper wet or did you polish it dry?
4 oz bottle is a lot imho, I polished the steering dry as 600 sandpaper is fine enough. I did not apply those cream mentioned by others above as the effect looks good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #14
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
4 oz bottle is a lot imho, I polished the steering dry as 600 sandpaper is fine enough. I did not apply those cream mentioned by others above as the effect looks good enough for me.
Gotcha. I ordered all the supplies and I should have them Thursday. Ill post pics of how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

4 oz is enough to do a chair. The conditioning cream keeps it looking good longer, and gives it a softer feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #16
imquittingthecult
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
4 oz is enough to do a chair. The conditioning cream keeps it looking good longer, and gives it a softer feel.
Just ordered the conditioning cream you linked in the above post.

I should have took before picture I started everything but I was so excited I just dove head first into it. I can say after applying the acetone my heart kinda of dropped cause the wheel lost a little color. But im on my 3rd and final coat of dye on the wheel. Once it dries Im going to polish it off. Ill post pics of the finished product.

The conditioning cream comes friday. Im gonna take it real easy on my wheel until then.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #17
Kingkymanii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m sport

Quote:
Before applying dye clean the wheel with acetone, to remove dirt and oils, and especially the leather conditioner that's already there. This allows the dye to penetrate the leather, for a uniform color. After dyeing this will give a like new sheen, and preserve the finish and color:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this brand of dye:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1
Have any pics when it's done
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #18
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
For uniform color clean the entire wheel with acetone and then stain the entire wheel.
as in Nail Polish remover as first step?
      08-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You could use that, as it's basically the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
davinciSL72
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i m-sport

Quote:
Quote:

I should have took before picture I started everything but I was so excited I just dove head first into it. I can say after applying the acetone my heart kinda of dropped cause the wheel lost a little color. But im on my 3rd and final coat of dye on the wheel. Once it dries Im going to polish it off. Ill post pics of the finished product.

The conditioning cream comes friday. Im gonna take it real easy on my wheel until then.
Quote:
Quote:

Is the cream you bought the acrylic coating linked above? I have all of the supplies coming in this week too.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #21
Liv6992
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw f32 435i, g31 530xd

Nice work!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #22
ovo Dima
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This color code 523 work great on my 2014 F32 black Dakota leather. Looks identical, still need to dry for another 12h. Cleaning and conditioner coming after

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0CaS...0_SI6Dlmazw7pA
Appreciate 0