F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > How to make your car shiny and free of spots
proTUNING Freaks

07-19-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
f80phan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I recently got a swirl correction and optimum gloss coating on my car and they showed me how to maintain it. This way is effective regardless if you have a coating or not and it's much quicker! I used to spend so much time cleaning and waxing my car but this process makes it easier. I showed my boyfriend how to do it and he loves it so I thought I'd share.

Products needed:

1. Optimum No Rinse & Shine
https://www.opticoat.com/product/optimum-no-rinse/

2. Opti-Coat Hyper Seal
https://www.opticoat.com/product/opt...er-seal-16-oz/

3. 1-Gallon Garden Sprayer
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1

4. Distilled Water
Purchase at Walmart, Target, etc.

5. Microfiber Towel

Pour 1-gallon of distilled water into the garden sprayer and add about a cap full of the Optimum No Rinse & Shine into the mix. I purchased the 32oz. of the car wash solution which should last a while since you only each one cap with each gallon of water so the smaller size will do too. The reason for using the distilled water instead of regular water is because the water from home or car washes may contain calcium and mineral deposits, which leaves behind those spots when it dries.

After you have your solution mixed in, you're going to spray your car by panel because in order to use the Opti-Coat Hyper Seal, the targeted area needs to be wet. For each panel you will only need about two sprays of the sealant and once you spray it, let it run down a little before wiping it. If there's any bird poop or things dried on that don't come off the first time, spray a tiny bit of sealant to soften it up and come back to it.

You don't need to apply a lot of pressure when wiping, do it gently and wiping it too hard can also be harmful to the paint. It's crucial to wipe it with your towel in one direction so that you're not rubbing in any dirt and potentially leaving scratches. The sealant will help with drying so there's no need to rinse it and if there are any marks or streaks left behind, use a separate micro fiber towel going in the same initial direction to get rid of it.

The sealant is a bit pricey but I promise it's worth it! Please let me know if you guys end up trying it and how it worked for you.

Last edited by f80phan; 07-19-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Good information and way to maintain your car. Although I would advise using 2 (1 oz) caps of ONR per 1 gallon for a wash solution per the directions on the bottle. The white cap on the 32 oz bottle is a 1/2 oz. The extra lubricity is key in avoiding micro marring your car. You can also use regular tap water in most cases as the ONR polymers will prevent the water spots from forming as well because they trap the minerals in the tap water. I have done this countless times, in full sun, on black Range Rover paint and have never marred it.

Hyper Seal is an awesome product and makes life pretty easy. I usually use one spray per panel and that's enough. You can also pick up a decent garden sprayer from any Lowe's, Home Depot, or Wal-Mart pretty easily at the same price point.
Appreciate 1
f80phan27.00
      07-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

+1 on no need to use distilled water with ONR. The main trick when washing with ONR is to do one panel at a time, so you wipe it off before it dries.
Appreciate 1
f80phan27.00
      07-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1 on no need to use distilled water with ONR. The main trick when washing with ONR is to do one panel at a time, so you wipe it off before it dries.
This really just depends on the transfer device. Big red sponge, MF towels, or fluffy wash mit.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I only use MF towels. I use one to apply the ONR, another to wipe it off. When the washing towel becomes dirty I put it aside, and then make what was the drying towel the washing towel, repeating the swap out process until done. Depending on how dirty the car was it will take from three to five towels to do the job.
Appreciate 0