F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Stand up paddleboards
Extreme Powerhouse

07-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Stand up paddleboards

My other half is quite keen to get an inflatable SUP to use on the lake while I use a kayak. I'm tempted to get a low-mid price (£2-300) one initially, as it might just become another bit of clutter gathering dust in the garage. We could get a better one later if it gets regular use and if there is much of an advantage.

I don't know much about them. She weighs about 65kg. I would like to use it very occasionally and I weigh 85kg. Looking at Amazon, they seem to be either 10 feet or 10 feet 6 in length, with the longer ones suiting more weight.

Can anyone advise which length would be more suited to her/our use? We will probably only use it in good conditions on a local lake. Does anyone have a specific recommendation of a model at that sort of price?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

Sadly I know nothing about them, I did shoot this down in Devon last year though and plan to give it bash at some point...

(Click to watch in HD1080)
Appreciate 1
JD64263.50
      07-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
My other half is quite keen to get an inflatable SUP to use on the lake while I use a kayak. I'm tempted to get a low-mid price (£2-300) one initially, as it might just become another bit of clutter gathering dust in the garage. We could get a better one later if it gets regular use and if there is much of an advantage.

I don't know much about them. She weighs about 65kg. I would like to use it very occasionally and I weigh 85kg. Looking at Amazon, they seem to be either 10 feet or 10 feet 6 in length, with the longer ones suiting more weight.

Can anyone advise which length would be more suited to her/our use? We will probably only use it in good conditions on a local lake. Does anyone have a specific recommendation of a model at that sort of price?

Cheers
Go 10ft 6 and you want something 6 inches thick ideally. For beginners it's about feeling balanced more than anything! Rider weight upto 100kg is about right. Might seem overkill but if she feels very unstable it may put her off!

For your budget you may struggle to get decent brands new but may be lucky in the second hand market. I know a lot of people tend to get the Itwit from Decathlon as a start out board and it seems to do the job for beginners!
Appreciate 1
JD64263.50