F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS JB+ Review (320ix)
GetBMWParts

01-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #1
carmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

BMS JB+ Review (320ix)

Hi everyone,

I recently decided to buy and install the JB+ for my 320. The car was running nicely before this mod but was a lot less fun. I own an x-drive with base everything including suspension. This may sound boring but it is a huge upgrade in terms of handling coming from a 4 cylinder accord! I also have power seats and the winter package for the cold Canadian winters.

The JB+ box has wires exposed on both ends. My OCD takes over whenever I open my hood and makes me want to put electrical tape to further protect them! It sort of just hangs in place once installed.

Installation was easy once I figured out how to get the OEM TMAP connector off. I also waited till the car went sleep (with hood open) before installing the tune.

After about a week of driving I notice quite a difference in acceleration in all modes. The car is as many others have said more awake. It did not feel like a turbo before this mod and you can feel the turbo kicking in a lot more now. I am not sure if this is because there is additional lag. In any case I am thoroughly enjoying my car much more than before.

One odd thing I notice after installing the JB+ is that there is a kind of carbon-like/engine smell emanating from the car when I do a few WOT runs and eventually park. Could this be because the car is running leaner/richer now? Is this because the JB+ controls less of the engine than the BMS stage 1?

I would love to hear from other JB+ owners. Everyone seems to have gone the DINAN route but I couldn't justify the extra money for being able to change the boost via my phone. I would never change it anyways.

Carmo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review, glad you are happy with the performance gains.

First time i hear about the smell. Doubt it has anything to with the tune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
SingleturboVert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmo View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently decided to buy and install the JB+ for my 320. The car was running nicely before this mod but was a lot less fun. I own an x-drive with base everything including suspension. This may sound boring but it is a huge upgrade in terms of handling coming from a 4 cylinder accord! I also have power seats and the winter package for the cold Canadian winters.

The JB+ box has wires exposed on both ends. My OCD takes over whenever I open my hood and makes me want to put electrical tape to further protect them! It sort of just hangs in place once installed.

Installation was easy once I figured out how to get the OEM TMAP connector off. I also waited till the car went sleep (with hood open) before installing the tune.

After about a week of driving I notice quite a difference in acceleration in all modes. The car is as many others have said more awake. It did not feel like a turbo before this mod and you can feel the turbo kicking in a lot more now. I am not sure if this is because there is additional lag. In any case I am thoroughly enjoying my car much more than before.

One odd thing I notice after installing the JB+ is that there is a kind of carbon-like/engine smell emanating from the car when I do a few WOT runs and eventually park. Could this be because the car is running leaner/richer now? Is this because the JB+ controls less of the engine than the BMS stage 1?

I would love to hear from other JB+ owners. Everyone seems to have gone the DINAN route but I couldn't justify the extra money for being able to change the boost via my phone. I would never change it anyways.

Carmo
Try taking the JB+ off and see if the smell is still there. How many miles on the car?
Appreciate 1
Wai328135.50
      01-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleturboVert View Post
Try taking the JB+ off and see if the smell is still there. How many miles on the car?
+1

There shouldn't be any smell generated from the install of the JB+. Did you do an oil change recently or did something that could have gotten oil in and around the engine / exhaust area?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
isloth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

carmo do you have any updates?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #6
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Bump
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
carmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Hi everyone. So it's been about 6 months with my JB+. I got used to the power and no longer appreciated it until I took the tune off. I have to say that this tune makes the car so much more enjoyable. It brings life to the 320 and although not the same performance as a 328 my car is pretty fun to drive. I highly recommend this cheap mod
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
f32slowspeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 2014 435I SILVER RWD

Old thread I know but have you figured anything out, I have a f10 528i with the m20 motor and I'm having the same issue, when I take the tune off everything is fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #9
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

all i have on is intake on my car and sometimes when i drive it hard for a long period of time i do notice some kind of a smell but i think it might have to do with the turbo ... possibly some blow by under alot of stress ?
Appreciate 0