F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #111
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Also wondered if for those that have retro fitted HU_NBT to a car that was previously HU_Entry, have you noticed any difference in the sound quality?

I have the HK Audio and I am distinctly unimpressed with the audio quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:59 AM   #112
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
283
Rep
1,600
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Also wondered if for those that have retro fitted HU_NBT to a car that was previously HU_Entry, have you noticed any difference in the sound quality?

I have the HK Audio and I am distinctly unimpressed with the audio quality.
My Hi-Fi sounds about the same if not better with NBT.
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(647)849-1003 (9:00am - 2:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
2018 CIC & NBT Map Updates | Remote Coding Package| Sirius XM Retrofit Save 10% With Promo Code "Bimmerpost"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #113
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
283
Rep
1,600
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Strange, I coded someone's 2014 335i Xdrive today and I noticed that his NBT has different animations compared to mine.

When I go to any menu with a list or when there is something loading, the circular wheel on the screen doesn't spin like on the 2014 335i. He is on a 07/13 build date and so is my NBT. Could this be a difference between US and EU NBT head units?
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(647)849-1003 (9:00am - 2:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
2018 CIC & NBT Map Updates | Remote Coding Package| Sirius XM Retrofit Save 10% With Promo Code "Bimmerpost"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #114
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

My NBT unit and ENET cable will arrive today but the Emulator won't be here for a few weeks from bimmertech.

If I fitted it without the emulator for now, would I get any functionality at all that works or should I just hold on before fitting?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #115
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
283
Rep
1,600
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
My NBT unit and ENET cable will arrive today but the Emulator won't be here for a few weeks from bimmertech.

If I fitted it without the emulator for now, would I get any functionality at all that works or should I just hold on before fitting?
Navigation will be greyed out, voice control won't work and you won't see BMW Apps under connected drive if it was activated. Other than those, everything else like trip computer, multimedia, office and telephone, will work.

Where did you get your NBT unit by the way? Bimmer-tech?

What did you get included with the package?
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(647)849-1003 (9:00am - 2:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
2018 CIC & NBT Map Updates | Remote Coding Package| Sirius XM Retrofit Save 10% With Promo Code "Bimmerpost"

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 01-03-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #116
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
283
Rep
1,600
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Thanks Aritaurus. I will answer all the responses in one post so it is easier to respond to.

I thought that rotating it 180 degrees wouldn't work from that referenced link, since that said that the pins were mirrored horizontally not rotated. That is confirmed looking at the picture from Shawn in that thread.

The unit I am looking at already comes with a replacement GPS arial to stick behind the screen. Also I am told the screen cable is slightly different so it comes with a replacement screen cable too.

Always worried about pulling trim pieces since I have never seen it done. Do I just apply upward pressure and it on the trim piece holding the controller and it just clips out? I presume that is the same with the dash trim?

Luckily I liked the look of the Black Panel Display, so I ordered it on my original VO. Very glad that I did now.
I can confirm that rotating the USB cable from the combox 180 degrees will work. I haven't tried with the glovebox cable so I can't really confirm.

Yep, the screen cable is different. My CIC cable had a ground wire that went into the CIC head unit and the NBT screen cable doesn't.

The trim pieces can actually be removed with your fingernails and it's fairly easy to take out so I wouldn't worry about breaking anything.
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(647)849-1003 (9:00am - 2:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
2018 CIC & NBT Map Updates | Remote Coding Package| Sirius XM Retrofit Save 10% With Promo Code "Bimmerpost"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #117
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Excellent. Thanks for the response.

I got the NBT unit from a reseller in the UK from eBay. It has got the old non-touch controller with it. Weird it has no markings for DAB but does for XM. I wonder if it is a world unit that supports both.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #118
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
283
Rep
1,600
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Excellent. Thanks for the response.

I got the NBT unit from a reseller in the UK from eBay. It has got the old non-touch controller with it. Weird it has no markings for DAB but does for XM. I wonder if it is a world unit that supports both.
My NBT came from Germany and I also have the markings for XM radio. I thought about activating it and getting the FSC code but I'm worried that it doesn't have the right hardware in there hence it'll be a waste of $250.

I have all the prewiring for XM so all I need is to get the FSC code based on the donor's VIN but it's still a $250 gamble.

I'm hoping for a way to test it so I can confirm.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #119
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I suspect it is a world radio, so will work for digital in all territories, but I'm not 100% sure.

I am hoping DAB is already enabled on mine. All 2013 cars in the UK have DAB for free.

How do you go about ordering FSC codes for a different VIN from BMW? I would have thought they would only sell you FSC's from a VIN you have bought from them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 11:00 PM   #120
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
3045
Rep
16,634
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
...How do you go about ordering FSC codes for a different VIN from BMW? I would have thought they would only sell you FSC's from a VIN you have bought from them.
You don't. You get someone with ASAP access to pull FSC Code Repair Kit for the other VIN (which must be newer than the current CIC / NBT VIN).
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #121
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Can you elaborate on that a little more Shawn?

Wow, just seen the updates for the USB cable, 1lyfe sure is a brave soul. If it involved that in my car I think I would have just left it alone!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 07:01 AM   #122
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
3045
Rep
16,634
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Can you elaborate on that a little more Shawn?

Wow, just seen the updates for the USB cable, 1lyfe sure is a brave soul. If it involved that in my car I think I would have just left it alone!
I am not sure what more i can say. You simply need the FSC Codes for any other car newer than yours and you can use them in retrofitted head unit with Emulator. These FSC Codes can be pulled from BMW Server for free by someone with authorization, as they have already been issued. You only pay for FSC Codes when they have to be initially issued.
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #123
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

But if those codes were originally bought for the retrofit head unit, then won't they already be installed on it. Why would I need to pull them again?

And if I want to add those options to a unit where they were originally purchased for it then who would I buy these from?

Sorry. Still learning
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #124
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

How to I stop all power going to the head unit before removing the trims? I notice when I move the cables for the vent and pull on them slightly, the radio comes on and off. I ideally want to disconnect the radio and electrics before starting.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #125
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
3045
Rep
16,634
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
But if those codes were originally bought for the retrofit head unit, then won't they already be installed on it. Why would I need to pull them again?

And if I want to add those options to a unit where they were originally purchased for it then who would I buy these from?

Sorry. Still learning
I advised you in post #55 that you could just use the Donor VIN with the existing FSC Codes in it, and an Emulator.

You then asked about ordering FSC Codes for another VIN, and I am simply telling you that 1) the other VIN needs to be newer and 2) if that VIN already has the FSC Codes issued, you would not need to buy them, you just need someone with acess to pull them from BMW server.

Suppose for example the Donor VIN only has Navigation activated, but you want Voice Control and BMW Apps too. So, now you have to find another VIN newer than yours that has FSC Codes issued for all 3 options (NAV, Voice, and Apps), then you change Head Unit to this new VIN and Import and Activate those FSC Codes in it to use with Emulator, then you get all 3 functions.
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #126
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
24
Rep
458
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Shawn. That makes sense.

Where would I find such a person with access?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #127
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
3045
Rep
16,634
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Thanks Shawn. That makes sense.

Where would I find such a person with access?
Why don't you figure out first if you can use what's already in the head unit or not, and if not, then shoot me a PM.
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #128
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Chris@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
100
Rep
1,398
Posts


Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

updated thread
sorry guys, was busy with other stuff for the past while
__________________
Codemybimmer
USA Toll Free: +1(866)480-8094 Canada: +1(647)849-1003 (10:00am - 6:00pm) EST info@codemybimmer.ca;.;www.codemybimmer.ca
Competitive pricing on Enhanced Bluetooth, Sirius XM, Backup Cameras as well as NBT and NBT EVO Retrofits
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #129
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
steve@codemybimmer's Avatar
Canada
283
Rep
1,600
Posts


Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Why don't you figure out first if you can use what's already in the head unit or not, and if not, then shoot me a PM.
So technically if I want sat radio to work, I'll need to flash NBT with a North American F30's VIN with 655, 6NR and 609 enabled?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #130
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
3045
Rep
16,634
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
So technically if I want sat radio to work, I'll need to flash NBT with a North American F30's VIN with 655, 6NR and 609 enabled?
It doesn't have to be an F30. Any chassis will do.

It just needs to be newer than yours, and have FSC Codes for Nav, Voice, Apps, and Sat Radio.

You must have U.S. Spec'd NBT with SDARS Connector though.
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #131
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
125
Rep
1,545
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 328i X-drive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I advised you in post #55 that you could just use the Donor VIN with the existing FSC Codes in it, and an Emulator.

You then asked about ordering FSC Codes for another VIN, and I am simply telling you that 1) the other VIN needs to be newer and 2) if that VIN already has the FSC Codes issued, you would not need to buy them, you just need someone with acess to pull them from BMW server.

Suppose for example the Donor VIN only has Navigation activated, but you want Voice Control and BMW Apps too. So, now you have to find another VIN newer than yours that has FSC Codes issued for all 3 options (NAV, Voice, and Apps), then you change Head Unit to this new VIN and Import and Activate those FSC Codes in it to use with Emulator, then you get all 3 functions.
i know this is a little off topic.....whats Emulator? where do you get it? what does it do?

How the hell do you find a VIN newer than yours with the options you want?
__________________
2011 Jaguar XFR
2013 VW Beetle
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #132
shawnsheridan
Lieutenant General
shawnsheridan's Avatar
United_States
3045
Rep
16,634
Posts

Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
i know this is a little off topic.....whats Emulator? where do you get it? what does it do?

How the hell do you find a VIN newer than yours with the options you want?
Read this whole thread, in particular my Post's #53 and #55, and you will know what an Emulator / hardware activation module is.

As for finding a VIN, your local Dealer's lot my be a good place to look.
__________________

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 01-04-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST