F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Knocking Noise/Feeling In Hot Weather??
Studio RSR

07-23-2021, 05:20 AM   #1
Alexxxxxxc
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318d m sport

Knocking Noise/Feeling In Hot Weather??

Hi,
First post here so please excuse any formatting mistakes etc.

BACKSTORY
Purchased a 15 plate 318D Auto back in November 2019 when the weather was cold and everything was sound with the car, fast forward to summer 2020 when lockdown began and the massive 2 month heatwave followed. Due to us not going out at all really it wasn’t until I started going for longer journeys (1hr+) that i noticed some slight knocking coming from under the front of the car that could be felt through the pedals and steering wheel (slightly), weird, so i did a lot of google/forum diving and the common thing that came back was control arm/cv joints.. however, what I noticed was that a lot of the common diagnoses for control arm issues etc meant that the knocking sound had to be constant, which it wasn’t.

I noticed that on hot days (15c+) the knocking would start, driving in ambient temps of 15-20c would take up to an hour for the problem to start occurring whereas temps of 20c+ the knocking would happen within 15-30mins.

Took it to my local garage who have always been great with my previous cars struggled to diagnose the issue, they drove the car whilst it was knocking because they had never heard of an issue similar (related to weather). They were adamant it was roll bar bushings and replaced the roll bar with oem one (under my permission).. this did not fix the issue and they were left slightly stumped. They did not charge me for the part or labour so thumbs up.

My dad who is handy with cars had a look at it and suggested it would be the control arms. He got me to sit in the car after the knocking started whilst he pushed the front end up and down (this did not recreate the knocking effect) and then rocked the car forward and backwards which did recreate the knocking effect. He said if it were the suspension or top mounts then bouncing the front end up and down should have recreated the knock.

By the time i had a bit of savings behind me to pay for another garage visit the weather was cold again and the problem went away.

Now the weather is back to 20c+ it has definitely gotten worse, the knocking sounds really bad and starts after a few minutes in hot weather. I want to try and sort it this summer because by the sound it made the other day it felt like something was about the break or fall off.

Is there anyone that could offer me with advice on how to approach this or what the problem may be? I don’t really want to go back to the local garage even though they have been previously good because they were honestly stumped, they said the next thing would be to just change loads of parts in the hope it would fix it (top mount,arms,cv joint).

SYMPTOMS
1. Knocking sound/feeling in hot weather, gets worse as temp gets hotter (15-20c+)
2. The sensation of knocking/clunking can be felt through the pedals and steering wheel.
3. Cannot be heard outside of the car.
4. Bumps/Turning doesn’t seem to have an effect on the issue, i.e it doesnt sound/feel different to just driving in a straight line over smooth roads.
5. Knocking can be felt massively at speeds below 30mph, the faster i go the less noticeable it is, especially on motorway i can’t feel it at all.
6. When I apply the brake steadily the noise/clunking feeling sometimes feels softer.
7. When reversing the knocking sound/feeling is almost non existent. I’ve only noticed it a few times when reversing and even then it was very muted compared to when in drive mode.

The reason I highlighted the last point was because this is something I don’t quite understand and maybe leads me to believe it might be a gearbox/transmission issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
Andy350
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 2017 318d

Knocking Noise/Feeling In Hot Weather??

I have the same problem, unfortunately not a solution
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 12:11 PM   #3
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i RWD

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2020 m340i RWD, adaptive suspension. Same issue here started under 10k miles. Quiet all winter. Back with warm weather in Northeast. Dealer never able to replicate it, but did replace left control arm per TSB, no effect. Still searching for solutions…
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #4
Rickf31
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320

Solved

Hi - Ive had the same problem for 4 months, garage couldnt find anything after 2 visits and a test drive. I found a BMW SIB, known fault with an original manufacturers part. Affects F22, F23, F30, F31, F32, F34, F36. If you are within warranty the fix for free, mine was a year out of warranty, £250 bill from independent garage but fixed.

SIB 320819

Get you tie rods replaced and you're good.

Worse thing is its a BMW SIB and they never hold their hands up, and wont fix when your out of warranty even though they know the part needs replacing
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 02:16 PM   #5
Andy350
Registered
Rep

Thank you man. It is so nice that there is commimuty and we can help each other not to spend crazy money on solving by changing many parts.
I have called to bmw service. They suggested it could be brakes etc etc.. so I told them to take my VIN and put it in to system firsto check for such SIB. Of course then they called me and told me there is such known issue. So to be honest as my girlfriends father owns an indipendent service I will get it done there and update it here.. if it helped. Keep my finger crossed also for others to solve it. In my opinion the car is perfect and I love it.. (F30 2017 B47)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
Mahmoudb
Registered
France
Rep
Drives: f30 320i

clunking noise when hot

Hello everyone,

I have the same issue on my car, no sound when cold weather and when the temperature is up to 25 degree C I have a knocking noise from the front

Any help please
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 02:43 AM   #7
Rickf31
Registered
Rep

Link to SIB / TSB

Andy350 this is the SIB / TSB for info

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...66230-9999.pdf

Mahmoud B get your tie rods replaced. Garage may look at them and say they are good, thats what the garage told me, but if they are manufactured by CTR and you have ZF steering and the fault is when the engine is warm / hot weather - SIB / TSB says it all
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 04:39 AM   #8
Mahmoudb
Registered
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickf31 View Post

Mahmoud B get your tie rods replaced. Garage may look at them and say they are good, thats what the garage told me, but if they are manufactured by CTR and you have ZF steering and the fault is when the engine is warm / hot weather - SIB / TSB says it all
Thanks you very much Rickf31 for this document
My bmw dealer says my tie rods are good...
But I totally agree with you the TSB SAY that !
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:39 PM   #9
Andy350
Registered
Rep

Local garage told me as well that tie rods are good... However it is owned by gf father..so I showed him this.. we ordered lemforder tie rods.. changed it.. yesterday i got the car and it was 38 degrees Celcius here in Slovakia. I drove for a hour..then left it on sun and continued. the car is and remains perfectly quiet. Thank you guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 05:22 AM   #10
Rickf31
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy350 View Post
Local garage told me as well that tie rods are good... However it is owned by gf father..so I showed him this.. we ordered lemforder tie rods.. changed it.. yesterday i got the car and it was 38 degrees Celcius here in Slovakia. I drove for a hour..then left it on sun and continued. the car is and remains perfectly quiet. Thank you guys.
Glad it worked. Shame BMW don't actively share the fix / problem so people can get their cars fixed without wasting money trying to find out what is wrong
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #11
Mahmoudb
Registered
France
Rep

Hello,

I’m coming back to you
Finally my bmw dealer hear the noise from the steering rack (EPS) so I advise is from tie rod. Actually my car is under warranty so Bmw dealer proceed to change the complet steering rack system EPS And finally I’m good without any noise when is hot
Thanks you evry body for your help !
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 12:45 PM   #12
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if this could be affecting g20 as well?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 07:21 PM   #13
transcendid
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29919119

Tsb finally available!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 08:25 PM   #14
1seriesApr2016
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series Apr/2016

Quote:
Hi - Ive had the same problem for 4 months, garage couldnt find anything after 2 visits and a test drive. I found a BMW SIB, known fault with an original manufacturers part. Affects F22, F23, F30, F31, F32, F34, F36. If you are within warranty the fix for free, mine was a year out of warranty, £250 bill from independent garage but fixed.

SIB 320819

Get you tie rods replaced and you're good.

Worse thing is its a BMW SIB and they never hold their hands up, and wont fix when your out of warranty even though they know the part needs replacing

I have the same issue with my bmw f20, seems to make that knocking clunking sound and it can be felt through the steering wheel as well as the brake paddle where it’s not so obvious on the break paddle . Would the tie rod fix work and make the sound go away , it’s a 2016 model 1 series .
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2023, 06:30 AM   #15
max7bg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 118d

Hi,

Same symptoms here with my 2015 F20. Mechanic replaced both link stabilizers but the issue remains.

I've asked people that know the matter and they suggest it is either Anti roll bar bush or more likely Control arm bush. Mechanic said rubber inside Control arm bush has cracks and it probably expands in hotter weather as I've only heard the crackling above 30c temperature.

I now have to wait for it to start happening again and then mechanic will try the car himself to find the cause. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 12:35 AM   #16
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Quote:

The pdf mentions a video under the procedure heading. I can’t find a link on the document am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 03:52 AM   #17
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7bg View Post
Hi,

Same symptoms here with my 2015 F20. Mechanic replaced both link stabilizers but the issue remains.

I've asked people that know the matter and they suggest it is either Anti roll bar bush or more likely Control arm bush. Mechanic said rubber inside Control arm bush has cracks and it probably expands in hotter weather as I've only heard the crackling above 30c temperature.

I now have to wait for it to start happening again and then mechanic will try the car himself to find the cause. Will keep you posted.
Problem sits in the inner tie rods, so not the link stabilizers. They are hard to diagnose, you don’t feel any play. But in my case replacing them also fixed the knocking problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 06:07 AM   #18
AARON1569
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 2009

Anyone get a definitive answer on there issue, OP never update?
Appreciate 0