F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Snow and F30's, Aero Roofracks, Ski holders, Snowchains
GetBMWParts

06-25-2020, 06:57 PM   #1
Feisar328i
Rep
Drives: 328i Msport

Snow and F30's, Aero Roofracks, Ski holders, Snowchains

Hey Team, Looking to set up my 3 series to hit the snow this year, if we can with that whole pandemic..

Wondering what racks/bars you all run on the F30, if you have the Areo or the square type, you find that there is a change in noise or economy?
And if anyone can recommend a ski/snowboard holder?

Also if you have any tips to stop chains from scuffing up wheels..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #2
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

I have the 255/19 at the back and have a set of chains. I have test fit them and cleared everything but you would have to drive very cautiously i think. Personally im thinking of buying a used set of 18 which i hope to find really cheap

I got the original BMW roof racks. They are very noisy

The tyre i have has a side wall that sticks out so the chains never make contact with the rim itself. I really choose my weekends so i know there is really low chance of chains needed. Again if you hit the slopes regularly every season probably be best to buy a second set of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

i've always had bars and bike carriers on my F31 so can't comment on efficiency. Had my roof pod and one bike carrier on during a recent holiday.

I have Thule Wingbars with appropriate mounting for F31 rails. With no bike/pod carriers, I can hear a little bit of wind noise if the panoramic roof doesn't have the headliner cover closed. With the headliner cover closed, i don't really hear it (or the bike carriers/pod).

Pic from recent holiday below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Thirtye23.00
      07-13-2020, 04:32 AM   #4
Brenn3085
Rep
Drives: 428 gc

I have Thule wingbars for my f36. I used to use them to carry bikes and find them crazy noisey with and without bikes on them.

My previous car was an e70 x5 and had oem racks. They were extremely quiet even with the sunroof open...not sure if it's more noisey on my 4 series as the roof line is super low...or the design of the racks..maybe even both.

(For the record BMW OEM snow racks don't fit into my Thule bars)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenn3085 View Post
I have Thule wingbars for my f36. I used to use them to carry bikes and find them crazy noisey with and without bikes on them.

My previous car was an e70 x5 and had oem racks. They were extremely quiet even with the sunroof open...not sure if it's more noisey on my 4 series as the roof line is super low...or the design of the racks..maybe even both.

(For the record BMW OEM snow racks don't fit into my Thule bars)
Interesting that the F3x family of cars (i'm fairly sure) use Thule wingbar edge for their OEM bars and carriers so unsure why your experience would differ.

I do think with an x5, the aerodynamics probably changes a lot due to being a bit more upright like you say. This would change where the air goes over the roof a bit causing different results?

I do know where you position the bars can have an effect on the wind noise as well as what bike carriers and orientation of those. The 591s for example in reverse are terrible for it due to the way the mount is built.
Appreciate 0