F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Poll : Work status and expectations
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: What's your job status and outlook for the next 6 months?
Small business owner - expect to soldier through 11 10.38%
Small business owner - not sure I can make it through 2 1.89%
Work for a small business - should be solid 12 11.32%
Work for a small business - worried about keeping my job 4 3.77%
Work for a large corporation - should be good 49 46.23%
Work for a large corporation - worried about being laid off 11 10.38%
Retired - I should be good 6 5.66%
Retired - worried about making ends meet 0 0%
Already unemployed 2 1.89%
Other (explain if you want) 9 8.49%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

04-09-2020, 12:55 PM   #45
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
One change that is happening at our school is that *all* the faculty are finally learning about our Learning Management System (LMS), which is where the online courses reside. All classes, online or not, have a course shell on the LMS, but many faculty have never used it. Now all of a sudden they're beginning to understand how powerful a tool it is and they're starting to use our other tools that they've long neglected.
HOW DARE YOU IT PEASANTS INTERFERE WITH MATTERS OF PEDAGOGY!!!!!

04-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #46
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

told the bossman i'm taking a 4 day weekend starting Friday. I'm honestly so bored at work i'd rather take vacation time and stay home.

usually i'm the opposite and scheduling time off when i know things will be busy.. like taking off a bunch of afternoons in a row rather than couple full days.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #47
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
HOW DARE YOU IT PEASANTS INTERFERE WITH MATTERS OF PEDAGOGY!!!!!

Don't laugh. It's practically the truth.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      04-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #48
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Don't laugh. It's practically the truth.
I know, which is why I made the ultimate pedagogy joke out of it!

Back in the late 1980's, I worked on a project with a PhD in Education where I put together a whole slew of modem-based tools and she taught non-credit certificate classes for remote students. The state's Education Department wanted nothing to do with "online" education for-credit certification, and treated it like postal-based correspondence courses. What I developed looked/functioned a *lot* like WebCT did about 5 years later when the world caught up.

I have been working in academia long enough to have battle stories about professors who refused to accept dot-matrix printed term papers claiming eye problems reading even 24-pin printouts, and another professor who made the faculty senate include a clause in their handbook declaring that email was not an official form of communication and they were not obligated to ever check it. Even though one is retired/emeritus and the other one is on his last year, I receive emails from both at least monthly.

On a happy note, I spent an afternoon about three years ago working with the tech person from an elementary school near where I work, setting up their Google Apps for Education web site for their teachers to experiment with. I received an email out of the blue yesterday from the principal of that school, thanking me for helping do that setup way back when. The teachers were all using it to interact with students and parents before COVID-geddon, and the principal was *extremely* thankful that I helped set it up way back when because their school was apparently the only one in the region that did not miss ONE MINUTE of instructional time converting from classroom to online elementary school instruction. They are even offering online art, music, and gym classes! Emails like this remind me about why I put up with the crappy pay and hassles of working in academia.

My only fear now is that with the pedagogical barriers removed due to the pandemic, students at all levels will never know the joy of a snow day ever again.....

Last edited by vreihen16; 04-09-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
M_Six16536.50
      04-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #49
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I've been pushing for years for all online material to be captioned, but I've hit roadblocks at every turn. These days with Microsoft Stream, 90% of the captioning work is done for you. You just have to edit the caption file a bit to fix a few errors. But even that is too much for some folks, I guess. And don't get me started about profs who refuse to work with a course designer even thought the prof's course layout sucks.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 04-09-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      04-09-2020, 08:33 PM   #50
thegump
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 - Sold

I'm an engineer for an automotive company so obviously things are worrisome but I wouldn't say I'm worried about being laid off so I voted for should be good. "Should be good-but cautious" should be an option
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00