F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > FMIC O-ring Direction
proTUNING Freaks

06-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Hey all,

Simple question, I am hunting down a suspected boost leak and cant remember how the directional O-Ring should be installed for the IC to CP connection, should the lip be pointed down towards the IC or up towards the CP? I installed a new CP about a month ago and have felt a bit down on power and I hear an audible whooshing on throttle. I have removed and re installed the pipe multiple times and it looks basically perfect with the TB basically being flush and the clamps on the coupler very tight so I am a bit stuck at the moment. I am only running BMS Stage 1 and when its installed the whooshing is much louder with a whistle when i let off throttle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
Trcb777
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I had a whoosh sound shortly after my cp install. Turned out to be one of the connections on the upper portion of the charge pipe that came off. Whoosh was gone and power back
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

I reinstalled it a few weekends ago because the TB side wasn't close to flush and last weekend I tightened down the clamps when I installed my new IC, I would be shocked it that was leaking at all. There was quite a bit of oil at the IC connection so I am definitely suspicious of that connection.

I have had the O ring installed where it tapers up towards the throttle body, I am not sure if thats correct though
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

UPDATE: Ended up checking the TIC side(completely stock) and the correct orientation of the ring is tapered into the charge pipe, this makes it easier to mate to the intercooler and also doesn't twist the oring which I believe was my issue. I still hear some whooshing, but its so much less and I am basically certain thats due to my MPPK airbox and drop in air filter, the car feels just like it should.

The pic is how it should be installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
hardparker
BMX3er
Rep
Drives: Yo daddy's 2014 X3 M Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
2014 BMW X3  [0.00]
I usually pack the groove and o-ring with grease to aid installation, sealing and troubleshooting. Packing it with grease eases the installation and minimizes the chances of damaging the o-ring and helps fill voids to reduce the chance of leaking. If it is leaking, it's easy to see the grease getting ejected.
      06-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #6
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

I used some oil from the old CP(I ended up seeing this accumulate on the c clip which was a sure sign of a leak) when I initially installed the o-ring and it fits in the channel just fine, but when you go to slide it on the intercooler it grabs and twists leading to a boost leak. What was weird was that the connection feels really loose when you install the ring correctly, but I believe that's to allow for the metal CP and FMIC to expand.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
FastF30
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

if it's a "V" cup oring ... the Open part of the "V" is towards the IC... this allows air to fill the "V" and create a better seal.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

Bumping this, I noticed the other day I have oil coming out of this connection meaning I have a leak. I have a new o ring coming in today and plan to tear this down once again. Currently thinking my install is still correct, just the o ring must be damaged.

VRSF CP and IC
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

This is my logic, also shows off my immense artistic "capabilities"
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Oil seeps through the tiniest gaps, it's possible your seepage is normal and not indicative of a leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
UPDATE: Ended up checking the TIC side(completely stock) and the correct orientation of the ring is tapered into the charge pipe, this makes it easier to mate to the intercooler and also doesn't twist the oring which I believe was my issue. I still hear some whooshing, but its so much less and I am basically certain thats due to my MPPK airbox and drop in air filter, the car feels just like it should.

The pic is how it should be installed.
i also hear that sound (little whistle, i think) , currently have FMIC + VRSF charge pipe (re-tightened the screw) + mppk + drop in air filter (KN) and not sure if i have a leak or not....I suspect that I do not have any but ( no error codes or any ) ... who knows..I need to do some logs..

Is more evident into sport/sport+ mode... due the "demand" of air and the "re-disgned air box" , probably?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #12
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
All I can say is that I carefully inspected the orientation of the o-ring when I uninstalled my stock CP and IC and it was oriented in the opposite direction you think is the correct position. I thought it was strange because I imagined that it would be tapered towards the IC to make installation easier. However it was tapered the opposite way away from the IC. So that's how I installed mine and I haven't noticed any boost leaks.

I ended up having to replace my IC a couple months afterwards and didn't notice any oil at all seeping through the connection. It was completely dry although my stock CP had some pooled oil inside of it.

Especially after my tune, I do notice a lot of whistling noises which I assume are from a diverter valve. I noticed them on my completely stock old N54 car as well after tuning (stock CP and IC).

EDIT: After thinking about it, I think your diagram is flawed. I believe that the air flowing through the charge pipe actually creates a low pressure area around the o-ring. So it actually pulls the o-ring and that is why it is tapered one way for the hot side and the opposite way for the cold side. If it's oriented the way you drew it, it might actually cause the seal to be pulled open slightly which would then cause the high pressure in the charge pipe to blow out the air. If it was installed the way I'm recommending, the seal would constantly be pulled against the IC port even harder as more air was drawn through.

This is just a theory. I have no idea if it's true. But it would explain why the o-ring orientation is reversed for each side of the IC.

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 06-05-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
khj24162.50

06-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
All I can say is that I carefully inspected the orientation of the o-ring when I uninstalled my stock CP and IC and it was oriented in the opposite direction you think is the correct position. I thought it was strange because I imagined that it would be tapered towards the IC to make installation easier. However it was tapered the opposite way away from the IC. So that's how I installed mine and I haven't noticed any boost leaks.

I ended up having to replace my IC a couple months afterwards and didn't notice any oil at all seeping through the connection. It was completely dry although my stock CP had some pooled oil inside of it.

Especially after my tune, I do notice a lot of whistling noises which I assume are from a diverter valve. I noticed them on my completely stock old N54 car as well after tuning (stock CP and IC).
Thats really odd considering the TIC pipe is the same way. My issue was when I tried to do it that way it would just twist even with oil on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #14
oceanview
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

O-Ring direction
335i F31 RWD in SB | Active Autowerke Flash Tune | 18" M-Perf Brake orange | 20" 405M | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips | Rear M-Diffusor | Wiechers Strut Bar | Finally done: AA Charge Pipe, AA FMIC, GFB DV+
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanview View Post
O-Ring direction
Quote:
O-Ring direction
I stumbled across this thread just curious as to what it was about. I installed a VRSF CP on my car a few weeks ago. Noticed I wasn't hitting target on my pulls by ~1-1.5 psi. Didn't really think much of it and wrote it off because it has been super hot lately and my AIT's were stupid high.

Low and behold, I didn't even know there was an o-ring on the IC side of the CP that needed to be transferred to the new VRSF CP 😂😂.

Guess I'll have to take care of that next weekend when I get back home from vacation.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #16
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
O-Ring direction
Yea I watched that guide, but I also saw one that contradicted it lol. I can see this being correct, but I dont know how you guys were able to get it installed this way without the o ring twisting.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thats really odd considering the TIC pipe is the same way. My issue was when I tried to do it that way it would just twist even with oil on it.
Which CP did you buy? Some have issues with tolerances. It could just be too tight.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

Quote:

EDIT: After thinking about it, I think your diagram is flawed. I believe that the air flowing through the charge pipe actually creates a low pressure area around the o-ring. So it actually pulls the o-ring and that is why it is tapered one way for the hot side and the opposite way for the cold side. If it's oriented the way you drew it, it might actually cause the seal to be pulled open slightly which would then cause the high pressure in the charge pipe to blow out the air. If it was installed the way I'm recommending, the seal would constantly be pulled against the IC port even harder as more air was drawn through.

This is just a theory. I have no idea if it's true. But it would explain why the o-ring orientation is reversed for each side of the IC.
Yes, it could be.

I hear it when I'm pressing down the gas pedal or a long run...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Which CP did you buy? Some have issues with tolerances. It could just be too tight.
VRSF, I wonder if I needed to oil the IC as well. That could have made the o ring grab and twist. But looking at your edit, I think you may be on to something because the air flows in two different directions when you think about it. OUT of TIC, IN to CP. Luckily I have my old intercooler so I can test around with the o ring position without having to bolt everything up.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #20
khj24
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
SUCCESS! You were right about the O-ring direction, and I was right about my o ring being the issue. The VRSF IC is a bit tighter than stock and that made it twist, but the big issue was that the O ring is older and softer, it doesn't seem to hold its shape as well. The new one I put on is much firmer and rigid, this meant when coupled it did not twist as I tested a few times just to be sure. Most importantly the car drives great, makes less whooshing noises and seems that it has way better response and low down power. Thanks for the help!!
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You got the part number for that oring by any chance? might swap mine out for the peace of mind.

Edit: 13718596850, found on realoem.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:47 AM   #22
oceanview
Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3to335i View Post
I stumbled across this thread just curious as to what it was about. I installed a VRSF CP on my car a few weeks ago. Noticed I wasn't hitting target on my pills by ~1-1.5 psi. Didn't really think much of it and wrote it off because it has been super hot lately and my AIT's were stupid high.

Low and behold, I didn't even know there was a o-ring on the IC side of the CP that needed to be transferred to the new VRSF CP 😂😂.

Guess I'll have to take care of that next weekend when I get back home from vacation.
Quote:
Yea I watched that guide, but I also saw one that contradicted it lol. I can see this being correct, but I dont know how you guys were able to get it installed this way without the o ring twisting.
By the way KUDOS go to BMW DIY Guy who did the video.
335i F31 RWD in SB | Active Autowerke Flash Tune | 18" M-Perf Brake orange | 20" 405M | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips | Rear M-Diffusor | Wiechers Strut Bar | Finally done: AA Charge Pipe, AA FMIC, GFB DV+
Appreciate 1