F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > sound proofing front doors
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #1
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

sound proofing front doors

ok lots of people complaining of excessive road noise, so while I was putting on my msport bumper this weekend, I decided to fix the issues. I layed down a layer of dynaliner across the metal of the front fender, the seam between the fender and the body of the car, filled all the holes in with rolux insulation then covered them with the dynalyner... to make sure the soundproofing dosent come off I placed it on there with contact cement..
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
x328x
Captain
250
Rep
849
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vic

iTrader: (0)

So whats the verdict. Did it make a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

a lot less tire noise that's for sure.... I am going to go to Edmonton today and I will take a measurement with my rta.. my base line was 67db. of road noise.. lets see if this makes a difference.. now iam going to be soundproofing the plastic wheel arch its self later when I get more time. I hope this will be the end of tire noise in the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

couldn't get a good reading on drive to EDMONTON. the trip was filled with high winds, snow rain, cats dogs.. so outside abiant noise was way way to high for a proper rating.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:17 AM   #5
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
33
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Oh interested in how this turns out. I'm planning to install an M-Sport bumper too, so I would love to cut down on some road noise..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

ok, have an issues with sound proofing placement under the wheel well. I missed a large portion of the top area with soundproofing, all noise generated by the road is being funneled through this opening, creating a lot of noise coming out of the top area of the door, I will remove wheel arch and install another piece of soundproofing to cover this hole.. that should absorb the sound...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

sound proofing has been upgraded to 1.2 version,lol.. way way better no road issues at all lmost no wind noise either.. vry happy with results... now gonna seal up the bottom and side of the door, when I wash the car with the pressure washer the door sill get covered in water, so if water gets in.. so does noise.. also gonna tackle the back tire wells, I measure a lot of rear noise getting into the car.. will update as I progress.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
projector
New Member
Germany
1
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Would you please take some pictures as you go along?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #9
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

if you take a look at the second photo, you can see a large hole in the top, I placed a piece of soundproofing over that so the wheel well is completely sealed off from the door seam. no road noise now entering in or around the door, wind noise,..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
Billfitz
Major General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
3854
Rep
8,963
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
gonna seal up the bottom and side of the door, when I wash the car with the pressure washer the door sill get covered in water
Water is supposed to run out of the door drain holes onto the outer sill, from where it drains to the ground. If you seal the wrong places the water will have nowhere to go.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Water is supposed to run out of the door drain holes onto the outer sill, from where it drains to the ground. If you seal the wrong places the water will have nowhere to go.
yup.. will take that issue into account.. this weekend gonna put the car in our wind tunnel and find out exactly what the road wind noise is doing and how its getting into the cabin of the car.. I suspect it coming in throught the bottom of the door as its no where near tight to the door sill...As always, the fix will have to look better than oem, so once I find the issue then I will have to engineer a solution that dosent look like crap.

Last edited by instalher; 05-11-2017 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #12
x328x
Captain
250
Rep
849
Posts

Drives: 2014 328i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Vic

iTrader: (0)

another thing you need to think about is moisture getting trapped between the foil and the body work. Add heat to the equation and its not a good thing
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
Billfitz
Major General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
3854
Rep
8,963
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
I suspect it coming in throught the bottom of the door as its no where near tight to the door sill....
The seal is with the inner door sill, not the outer.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

ok after some testing I have found another problem with our cars and road noise.... the bmw rubber seal that goes around the frame of the door and seals it to the body when closed is 1/8 inch to small. it never touches the frame of the car.. So any road noise, tires, wind ect can easily get into the cabin of the car.. This fix might be a bit harder to fix as I have to source out a supply company that makes the rubber seals to go around car doors like this. I can then just order a length and attact to my car.. easier said than done I am thinking....
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
ndshgyta
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: f30
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bulgaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
ok lots of people complaining of excessive road noise, so while I was putting on my msport bumper this weekend, I decided to fix the issues. I layed down a layer of dynaliner across the metal of the front fender, the seam between the fender and the body of the car, filled all the holes in with rolux insulation then covered them with the dynalyner... to make sure the soundproofing dosent come off I placed it on there with contact cement..
please tell did this reduce the road noise ?
also wind noise?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #16
ndshgyta
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: f30
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bulgaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
ok after some testing I have found another problem with our cars and road noise.... the bmw rubber seal that goes around the frame of the door and seals it to the body when closed is 1/8 inch to small. it never touches the frame of the car.. So any road noise, tires, wind ect can easily get into the cabin of the car.. This fix might be a bit harder to fix as I have to source out a supply company that makes the rubber seals to go around car doors like this. I can then just order a length and attact to my car.. easier said than done I am thinking....
did you find solution about rubber seal?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

purchased a rubber seal kit and used it around all four door, and the hood of the car.. made a 1-2db difference.. I also bought the bottom rubber seal from a 5 series and glued that to the bottom of the door and bought the door seal kit off a 7 series, cut and moulded it to my back door frame so when I close the front door its sealed just like on the 7 series, I also sealed off the front quarter panel with a door seal off a 4 series, fits perfect, and finally I sealed off the back area behind the rear seats with second skin, and put a layer of mlv on the floor of the whole car.. Car now rides at 60mph and has a 65-70 db swing in road noise, which is excellent compared to when I started.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:51 PM   #18
tardboi
Private First Class
33
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 335i xDrive MSport
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

All in, how much time did it cost ya? Sounds like you're happy with the results so that's great. Personally I'd be afraid of fixing exterior sounds with all the interior rattles and creaks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 12:19 AM   #19
ndshgyta
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: f30
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bulgaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
purchased a rubber seal kit and used it around all four door, and the hood of the car.. made a 1-2db difference.. I also bought the bottom rubber seal from a 5 series and glued that to the bottom of the door and bought the door seal kit off a 7 series, cut and moulded it to my back door frame so when I close the front door its sealed just like on the 7 series, I also sealed off the front quarter panel with a door seal off a 4 series, fits perfect, and finally I sealed off the back area behind the rear seats with second skin, and put a layer of mlv on the floor of the whole car.. Car now rides at 60mph and has a 65-70 db swing in road noise, which is excellent compared to when I started.
thank you!
do you have any pictures please?
please tell did this reduce the road noise ?
how do you isulate the fenders?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #20
ndshgyta
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: f30
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bulgaria

iTrader: (0)

instalher, please provide some pictures and the part numbers of the parts you used from the 4, 5 and 7 series!

thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
Rodbearings
Major
Rodbearings's Avatar
United_States
655
Rep
1,476
Posts

Drives: Too many to list
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (24)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndshgyta View Post
please tell did this reduce the road noise ?
He said in his post it reduced road noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #22
instalher
25cent millionaire
instalher's Avatar
No_Country
157
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2014 320ixdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: red deer ab

iTrader: (1)

sorry I am never on here, cost was less than 400 bucks, the noise issue is now the glass and the roof, I have sold the car so that experiment is over.. learned a ton, wish I could have done the roof but learned a lot..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST