F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > OBD Flash Tune From Active Autowerke **No ECU REMOVAL REQUIRED**
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #199
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
JaredG_F30's Avatar
1017
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Whay is the TMAP swap reccomended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
that is correct.. there isn't a 3.5 or 4 bar TMAP for the N55, but you can use the sensors from other motors. Part number was confirmed by AA, plus ECS Tuning (where I got it) lists it as the upgrade for the N55 with higher turbos.
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #200
BMW DIY Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
934
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maple Valley WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Whay is the TMAP swap reccomended?
I got the guidance that the factory TMAP has psi limits around 20-22, and depending on how hard you push your turbo, you could be approaching those limits. Also, including a higher turbo, age/miles on the car as well. So at 52k and approaching 20lbs from the turbo, the change out just makes sense.

Noticed in your sig as well.. my GFB DV+ arrives TODAY! 8)
__________________
Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube! F32, F80, E39, E46, E53, and E83 projects from Active Autowerke, TuningTechFS, Kies Motorsports, AvinUSA, Karbonius Composites and more!
** YouTube BMW DIY Guy ** ** Facebook BMW DIY Guy **
'Furiosa' F32 Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #201
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
440
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post

Also, one potential "leg-up" BM3 and MHD seem to have is built-in logging capabilities. Any plans of implementing that with the Simon3? I think that the offer of 4 custom maps included in your package is great, and part of the reason I went with AA, but without direct logging capabilities, it makes it kind of moot unless I can get onto a dyno to do some logged runs (added cost). Idk, these are just my thoughts as someone new to the tuning realm. Am I wrong?
I think there is a cable AA has in addition to the Simon cable that will allow you to log. I cannot remember what it costs but I am getting it for logging purposes. Wither Nic/Vic cannot remember the name or David I think told me to mention that to Mike of Extreme if I wanted to purchase it.
__________________
2k15 335i Msport xdrive 6spd
Wagner Comp2 FMIC,FTP CP,stock exhaust. Fabspeed Sport catted DP, ACS springs. FBO BM3 Stg 2
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:35 PM   #202
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
188
Rep
837
Posts

Drives: 2019 G01 X3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
20 lbs boost seems really high. Is that what the AA stage 2 is pushing? Doesn't the HPFP start becoming iffy before then?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #203
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
440
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
As part of the suggestions from AA as my turbo approaches 20psi, is the recommendation to swap out the TMAP 3.0bar stock sensor for a 3.5 or higher.

I wanted to share the recommendations and the DIY, though for this crowd, the DIY really isn't needed.. crazy simple.

Good stuff my man! lLink for the Map sensor!
How does she run compared to Active 8?
__________________
2k15 335i Msport xdrive 6spd
Wagner Comp2 FMIC,FTP CP,stock exhaust. Fabspeed Sport catted DP, ACS springs. FBO BM3 Stg 2
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:38 PM   #204
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11779
Rep
127,813
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
I think there is a cable AA has in addition to the Simon cable that will allow you to log. I cannot remember what it costs but I am getting it for logging purposes. Wither Nic/Vic cannot remember the name or David I think told me to mention that to Mike of Extreme if I wanted to purchase it.
I believe you are talking about the Simon 2
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #205
BMW DIY Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
934
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maple Valley WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Good stuff my man! lLink for the Map sensor!
How does she run compared to Active 8?
There is a link in the video description, for the part from ECS Tuning. She runs REALLY smoothly.. I had a noticeable surge at about 2600rpm or so with the Active 8, and now the power curve feels absolutely linear. My dyno will be on the 31st.
__________________
Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube! F32, F80, E39, E46, E53, and E83 projects from Active Autowerke, TuningTechFS, Kies Motorsports, AvinUSA, Karbonius Composites and more!
** YouTube BMW DIY Guy ** ** Facebook BMW DIY Guy **
'Furiosa' F32 Build Thread
Appreciate 2
ceedawg439.50
Bestia57.50

      03-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #206
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
JaredG_F30's Avatar
1017
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

20-22 PSI on stock turbo and fueling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
I got the guidance that the factory TMAP has psi limits around 20-22, and depending on how hard you push your turbo, you could be approaching those limits. Also, including a higher turbo, age/miles on the car as well. So at 52k and approaching 20lbs from the turbo, the change out just makes sense.

Noticed in your sig as well.. my GFB DV+ arrives TODAY! 8)
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #207
BMW DIY Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
934
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maple Valley WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
20-22 PSI on stock turbo and fueling?
Quoting part of my conversation with Active Autowerke:
"On N55 we’ve made about 440hp safely without additional upgrades to the fuel system (only upgraded 3.5bar tmap sensor). Anything more than that and you’ll need port injection or a piggyback. With fuel-it port injection and an Active-8, we’ve made about 530hp. Another problem at these power levels is excess heat. "

So while I don't know if I will ever change out the turbo, I feel I am well within reasonable parameters with sensible supporting upgrades like the TMAP and the diverter + that literally just arrived.
__________________
Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube! F32, F80, E39, E46, E53, and E83 projects from Active Autowerke, TuningTechFS, Kies Motorsports, AvinUSA, Karbonius Composites and more!
** YouTube BMW DIY Guy ** ** Facebook BMW DIY Guy **
'Furiosa' F32 Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #208
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Seba77W's Avatar
293
Rep
590
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Chicago IL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
the diverter + that literally just arrived.
Awesome. Don't forget the DIY video
I'm looking to do this upgrade as well.
__________________
2014 435i xDrive M-Sport, Fabspeed cat, Active Autowerke axle back, CTS Turbo intake, ER charge pipe, ER Competition Intercooler, MHD Tuning Stage 2+
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #209
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
JaredG_F30's Avatar
1017
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

I can't wait to see your logs. I'm curious to see what your AFRs, timing and fuel rail pressure look like. From everything I've read and discussed with other tuners, the stock fuel pumps just can't keep up with the amount of air mass flowing at 20-22PSI, leaning out the mixture. Also, I believe pushing the stock turbo to that level may be putting a lot of strain on the compressor. I'd love to see the compressor maps for the stock snail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Quoting part of my conversation with Active Autowerke:
"On N55 we’ve made about 440hp safely without additional upgrades to the fuel system (only upgraded 3.5bar tmap sensor). Anything more than that and you’ll need port injection or a piggyback. With fuel-it port injection and an Active-8, we’ve made about 530hp. Another problem at these power levels is excess heat. "

So while I don't know if I will ever change out the turbo, I feel I am well within reasonable parameters with sensible supporting upgrades like the TMAP and the diverter + that literally just arrived.
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #210
BimmerFan
Second Lieutenant
64
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport EB
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Quoting part of my conversation with Active Autowerke:
"On N55 we’ve made about 440hp safely without additional upgrades to the fuel system (only upgraded 3.5bar tmap sensor). Anything more than that and you’ll need port injection or a piggyback. With fuel-it port injection and an Active-8, we’ve made about 530hp. Another problem at these power levels is excess heat. "

So while I don't know if I will ever change out the turbo, I feel I am well within reasonable parameters with sensible supporting upgrades like the TMAP and the diverter + that literally just arrived.
Think a hybrid or large turbo with Meth or E85 is required to reach 530whp..
__________________
Vorsteiner VFF 103s 19/8.5 +30; 19/10 +45; JB4+PTF BEF; JB4 bluetooth connect kit; CG Precision DR-1 race DP, CG Precision Exhaust; AFE Momentum CAI; ATM FMIC; ER Charge Pipe; Pure STG 2 Turbo+Hi Flo inlet; GFB DV+; Fuel-it Platinum PI kit; Fuel-it STG 2 LPFP; N20 TMAP; AFE fsb and rsb; Koni Yellows; Dinan lowering Springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #211
BMW DIY Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
934
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maple Valley WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I can't wait to see your logs. I'm curious to see what your AFRs, timing and fuel rail pressure look like. From everything I've read and discussed with other tuners, the stock fuel pumps just can't keep up with the amount of air mass flowing at 20-22PSI, leaning out the mixture. Also, I believe pushing the stock turbo to that level may be putting a lot of strain on the compressor. I'd love to see the compressor maps for the stock snail.
I am pulling all of the relevant logs I can on my next run on their recommendation, using the Torque app and sending the results to AA for review.

Looking at:
AFR - commanded
AFR- measured
Engine load absolute
Engine RPM
Fuel Rail pressure
intake air temps
MAF rate
timing advance
Turbo boost & vacuum
__________________
Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube! F32, F80, E39, E46, E53, and E83 projects from Active Autowerke, TuningTechFS, Kies Motorsports, AvinUSA, Karbonius Composites and more!
** YouTube BMW DIY Guy ** ** Facebook BMW DIY Guy **
'Furiosa' F32 Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #212
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
440
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
I am pulling all of the relevant logs I can on my next run on their recommendation, using the Torque app and sending the results to AA for review.

Looking at:
AFR - commanded
AFR- measured
Engine load absolute
Engine RPM
Fuel Rail pressure
intake air temps
MAF rate
timing advance
Turbo boost & vacuum
Excellent. And AFRs plus Timing are certainly a concern of mine even though I know these cars because of the Direct Fuel inj and 2000psi pressure are fine running boost at 14.7afr and are theorectically ok. 2000psi fuel sprayed into a combustion chamber will definitely cool down a cylinder no question.

I'm from the old school port FI,250 to 455 psi fuel pump,big injectors ,bigger fuel rail and running 11 to 13 afr on pump with high boost.

Direct FI a totally different and better ball gane.
__________________
2k15 335i Msport xdrive 6spd
Wagner Comp2 FMIC,FTP CP,stock exhaust. Fabspeed Sport catted DP, ACS springs. FBO BM3 Stg 2
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 04:50 AM   #213
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
1297
Rep
8,077
Posts

Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (104)

Garage List
I received my new AA Flash tunes from Nic yesterday

Thought I would walk thru the operation with a couple things of note:
  • Once you receive your cable, there will be some instructions included that has a link to Simon3 software DL on their site - ignore that. The new 2018 Simon3 cables require a different software that still hasn't been updated with the AA branding. Contact either Nic or Andrew & they will send you a link to their dropbox with the correct iFlash program (you can ignore the PDF instructions also as they don't really apply to Fxx cars)
  • Once you receive the link, DL software, plug your Simon3 cable into computer, install software & drivers
  • Now you're ready to read ECU info from your car to send in to AA for the new Flash Tunes - nice thing with Fxx cars is that you don't actually have to do a full Read of your stock tune (like back in the E9x days) - so no need for battery charger at this point as the entire operation takes like 30s
  • Plug cable in to OBD port & computer, push Start button 1X just so gauge lights are on, RUN iFlash program - it will go thru & check to make sure your computer is up to the task on 1st screen (15s). Once that is all green, it will go to 2nd screen where it Reads your car ECU Type info
  • Takes like 15s to get info (which will auto populate in all fields at top of screen) then ask if you want to set your cable to these values & lock it to your VIN# (double check your VIN number that is auto populated before hitting YES. Your car is now married to the cable, hit 'NEXT' - at this point, DO NOT hit 'Read ECU' instead look at bottom left corner for button that says 'Copy Text To Clipboard' - hit that button & Paste info into MSWord doc to save for ever
  • Send that file in to Nic @ AA, he will ask what octane gas you're running, & any mods up to date + options you want in your new Flash Tune(s)

Since I am in PA & must pass emissions I opted for:
  • 93 Octane
  • NO O2 Delete
  • Keep Cold Start
  • MPerformance Burble (this was recommended by Andrew as a nice noticeable burble, but not overly aggressive with shotguns & such, what he has on his car)

I had him send:
  • New Stock Tune
  • Stage1 Tune - reported to run around 16-17PSI
  • Stage2 Tune - reported to run closer to 18.5 PSI

I still have (1) more free tune available thru the purchase

Nic will then send you the new Flash tunes you requested + PDF of correct instructions (took around 4hrs to get new tunes in my case)

Now you are ready to flash & you will need to do the following:
  • Hook up battery charger for peace of mind
  • Connect Laptop w/Simon3 cable as before (plug IN laptop to AC power for peace of mind in case battery power would give out in middle of Flash)
  • Ignition ON so gauges lite only
  • Door Open
  • Run iFlash program & on Identification Detail screen click on 'Diagnostics'
  • Click 'READ Coding Data' (this will read in any/all of the custom coding you have done to your car & save it to a separate file - (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP - DO THIS BEFORE FLASHING ANY TUNES)
  • SAVE this file with in an easily accessible place (Save file will be used later to Write Coding Data)
  • Close Diagnostics screen & click 'Program ECU Memory'
  • ALWAYS select the Stock tune from AA (larger 4MB file) for this 1st go around (not necessary after this 1st time unless you want to go back to Stock) hit OPEN. Flashing the Stock tune will take approx. 15min
  • After Flash you will be prompted to turn OFF ignition. Turn OFF car & click 'Ignition Is OFF', wait 30s & turn ignition back ON, click 'OK' on the 'Successful Flash' prompt
  • Click on 'Diagnostics' again, & click on 'Write Coding Data' Select the file you previously saved & click 'Open' this will Write all your specific Coding data back to car
  • When done, turn OFF car, wait 40s & the car is now ready to drive

> After the full Stock flash is done, you can flash any of the custom 512kB tune files. These are partial files containing only the tuned section & will only take 1min to flash. After any Flash is complete, you will need to Write back the Coding Data as explained above


> Since I will be running the Stage2 tune, it was also recommended to me to install a new 3.5bar sensor - since it will allow me to run more boost without running into fuel pressure issues that occur when you get close to maxxing out the stock 2.5bar sensor (stated that stock sensor is theoretically capable of reading to about 21.5PSI)

> I also asked for recommendation as to what new plugs to run when I swap them out - was told AA typically uses NGK 97506 gapped to .019" - .020"


That's it - all done. Sounds like a lot, but actual time to completion is short
__________________
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Leather Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK Sound+Musicar Stg3//763M Wheels//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Dinan CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 03-10-2018 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 3
ceedawg439.50
oceanview186.50

      03-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #214
ceedawg
Major
ceedawg's Avatar
440
Rep
1,350
Posts

Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Big City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I received my new AA Flash tunes from Nic yesterday

Thought I would walk thru the operation with a couple things of note:
  • Once you receive your cable, there will be some instructions included that has a link to Simon3 software DL on their site - ignore that. The new 2018 Simon3 cables require a different software that still hasn't been updated with the AA branding. Contact either Nic or Andrew & they will send you a link to their dropbox with the correct iFlash program (you can ignore the PDF instructions also as they don't really apply to Fxx cars)
  • Once you receive the link, DL software, plug your Simon3 cable into computer, install software & drivers
  • Now you're ready to read ECU info from your car to send in to AA for the new Flash Tunes - nice thing with Fxx cars is that you don't actually have to do a full Read of your stock tune (like back in the E9x days) - so no need for battery charger at this point as the entire operation takes like 30s
  • Plug cable in to OBD port & computer, push Start button 1X just so gauge lights are on, RUN iFlash program - it will go thru & check to make sure your computer is up to the task on 1st screen (15s). Once that is all green, it will go to 2nd screen where it Reads your car ECU Type info
  • Takes like 15s to get info (which will auto populate in all fields at top of screen) then ask if you want to set your cable to these values & lock it to your VIN# (double check your VIN number that is auto populated before hitting YES. Your car is now married to the cable, hit 'NEXT' - at this point, DO NOT hit 'Read ECU' instead look at bottom left corner for button that says 'Copy Text To Clipboard' - hit that button & Paste info into MSWord doc to save for ever
  • Send that file in to Nic @ AA, he will ask what octane gas you're running, & any mods up to date + options you want in your new Flash Tune(s)

Since I am in PA & must pass emissions I opted for:
  • 93 Octane
  • NO O2 Delete
  • Keep Cold Start
  • MPerformance Burble (this was recommended by Andrew as a nice noticeable burble, but not overly aggressive with shotguns & such, what he has on his car)

I had him send:
  • New Stock Tune
  • Stage1 Tune - reported to run around 16-17PSI
  • Stage2 Tune - reported to run closer to 18.5 PSI

I still have (1) more free tune available thru the purchase

Nic will then send you the new Flash tunes you requested + PDF of correct instructions (took around 4hrs to get new tunes in my case)

Now you are ready to flash & you will need to do the following:
  • Hook up battery charge for peace of mind
  • Connect Laptop w/Simon3 cable as before (plug IN laptop to AC power for peace of mind in case battery power would give out in middle of Flash)
  • Ignition ON so gauges lite only
  • Door Open
  • Run iFlash program & on Identification Detail screen click on 'Diagnostics'
  • Click 'READ Coding Data' (this will read in any/all of the custom coding you have done to your car & save it to a separate file - (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP - DO THIS BEFORE FLASHING ANY TUNES)
  • SAVE this file with in an easily accessible place (Save file will be used later to Write Coding Data)
  • Close Diagnostics screen & click 'Program ECU Memory'
  • ALWAYS select the Stock tune from AA (larger 4MB file) for this 1st go around (not necessary after this 1st time unless you want to go back to Stock) hit OPEN. Flashing the Stock tune will take approx. 15min
  • After Flash you will be prompted to turn OFF ignition. Turn OFF car & click 'Ignition Is OFF', wait 30s & turn ignition back ON, click 'OK' on the 'Successful Flash' prompt
  • Click on 'Diagnostics' again, & click on 'Write Coding Data' Select the file you previously saved & click 'Open' this will Write all your specific Coding data back to car
  • When done, turn OFF car, wait 40s & the car is now ready to drive

> After the full Stock flash is done, you can flash any of the custom 512kB tune files. These are partial files containing only the tuned section & will only take 1min to flash. After any Flash is complete, you will need to Write back the Coding Data as explained above


> Since I will be running the Stage2 tune, it was also recommended to me to install a new 3.5bar sensor - since it will allow me to run more boost without running into fuel pressure issues that occur when you get close to maxxing out the stock 2.5bar sensor (stated that stock sensor is theoretically capable of reading to about 21.5PSI)

> I also asked for recommendation as to what new plugs to run when I swap them out - was told AA typically uses NGK 97506 gapped to .019" - .020"


That's it - all done. Sounds like a lot, but actual time to completion is short
Wow I need to print this out thanks. How does the car feel?
__________________
2k15 335i Msport xdrive 6spd
Wagner Comp2 FMIC,FTP CP,stock exhaust. Fabspeed Sport catted DP, ACS springs. FBO BM3 Stg 2
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #215
BMW DIY Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
934
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maple Valley WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I received my new AA Flash tunes from Nic yesterday

Thought I would walk thru the operation with a couple things of note:
  • Once you receive your cable, there will be some instructions included that has a link to Simon3 software DL on their site - ignore that. The new 2018 Simon3 cables require a different software that still hasn't been updated with the AA branding. Contact either Nic or Andrew & they will send you a link to their dropbox with the correct iFlash program (you can ignore the PDF instructions also as they don't really apply to Fxx cars)
  • Once you receive the link, DL software, plug your Simon3 cable into computer, install software & drivers
  • Now you're ready to read ECU info from your car to send in to AA for the new Flash Tunes - nice thing with Fxx cars is that you don't actually have to do a full Read of your stock tune (like back in the E9x days) - so no need for battery charger at this point as the entire operation takes like 30s
  • Plug cable in to OBD port & computer, push Start button 1X just so gauge lights are on, RUN iFlash program - it will go thru & check to make sure your computer is up to the task on 1st screen (15s). Once that is all green, it will go to 2nd screen where it Reads your car ECU Type info
  • Takes like 15s to get info (which will auto populate in all fields at top of screen) then ask if you want to set your cable to these values & lock it to your VIN# (double check your VIN number that is auto populated before hitting YES. Your car is now married to the cable, hit 'NEXT' - at this point, DO NOT hit 'Read ECU' instead look at bottom left corner for button that says 'Copy Text To Clipboard' - hit that button & Paste info into MSWord doc to save for ever
  • Send that file in to Nic @ AA, he will ask what octane gas you're running, & any mods up to date + options you want in your new Flash Tune(s)

Since I am in PA & must pass emissions I opted for:
  • 93 Octane
  • NO O2 Delete
  • Keep Cold Start
  • MPerformance Burble (this was recommended by Andrew as a nice noticeable burble, but not overly aggressive with shotguns & such, what he has on his car)

I had him send:
  • New Stock Tune
  • Stage1 Tune - reported to run around 16-17PSI
  • Stage2 Tune - reported to run closer to 18.5 PSI

I still have (1) more free tune available thru the purchase

Nic will then send you the new Flash tunes you requested + PDF of correct instructions (took around 4hrs to get new tunes in my case)

Now you are ready to flash & you will need to do the following:
  • Hook up battery charge for peace of mind
  • Connect Laptop w/Simon3 cable as before (plug IN laptop to AC power for peace of mind in case battery power would give out in middle of Flash)
  • Ignition ON so gauges lite only
  • Door Open
  • Run iFlash program & on Identification Detail screen click on 'Diagnostics'
  • Click 'READ Coding Data' (this will read in any/all of the custom coding you have done to your car & save it to a separate file - (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP - DO THIS BEFORE FLASHING ANY TUNES)
  • SAVE this file with in an easily accessible place (Save file will be used later to Write Coding Data)
  • Close Diagnostics screen & click 'Program ECU Memory'
  • ALWAYS select the Stock tune from AA (larger 4MB file) for this 1st go around (not necessary after this 1st time unless you want to go back to Stock) hit OPEN. Flashing the Stock tune will take approx. 15min
  • After Flash you will be prompted to turn OFF ignition. Turn OFF car & click 'Ignition Is OFF', wait 30s & turn ignition back ON, click 'OK' on the 'Successful Flash' prompt
  • Click on 'Diagnostics' again, & click on 'Write Coding Data' Select the file you previously saved & click 'Open' this will Write all your specific Coding data back to car
  • When done, turn OFF car, wait 40s & the car is now ready to drive

> After the full Stock flash is done, you can flash any of the custom 512kB tune files. These are partial files containing only the tuned section & will only take 1min to flash. After any Flash is complete, you will need to Write back the Coding Data as explained above


> Since I will be running the Stage2 tune, it was also recommended to me to install a new 3.5bar sensor - since it will allow me to run more boost without running into fuel pressure issues that occur when you get close to maxxing out the stock 2.5bar sensor (stated that stock sensor is theoretically capable of reading to about 21.5PSI)

> I also asked for recommendation as to what new plugs to run when I swap them out - was told AA typically uses NGK 97506 gapped to .019" - .020"


That's it - all done. Sounds like a lot, but actual time to completion is short
FANTASTIC write up well done! Fantastic info!
__________________
Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube! F32, F80, E39, E46, E53, and E83 projects from Active Autowerke, TuningTechFS, Kies Motorsports, AvinUSA, Karbonius Composites and more!
** YouTube BMW DIY Guy ** ** Facebook BMW DIY Guy **
'Furiosa' F32 Build Thread
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61296.50

      03-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #216
BMW DIY Guy
Lieutenant Colonel
934
Rep
1,676
Posts

Drives: 2014 435i
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maple Valley WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I got my updated flash from AA including the 3.5 sensor and a slightly more aggressive torque request. I am *really* impressed.

I only had a short time to take the car out after, combined with traffic and wet conditions so couldnt push it. That said.. good god.. I have never had a back end wiggle coming out of 2nd into 3rd, and the butt dyno feels like a straight linear curve through the power band.

I didnt make it out of 3rd before I had to back off, my TINY log set shows about 15.1lbs max psi until I had to back off, at about 5600 rpm.

I cannot WAIT until the 31st and my next dyno. My DV+ will be installed on the 25th as well, so will be ready for great runs including logging. Still on hold for my high flow catted DP, and wish it could be ready in time but not happening yet.

oh oh oh.. and for the 6WB crowd.. I didnt realize I had yellow and red crawl bars up for RPM through the gauge until yesterday!!! My first run down a local straight away, was like WOAH WHAT IS THAT!! *laugh*
__________________
Check out my BMW DIY Channel on YouTube! F32, F80, E39, E46, E53, and E83 projects from Active Autowerke, TuningTechFS, Kies Motorsports, AvinUSA, Karbonius Composites and more!
** YouTube BMW DIY Guy ** ** Facebook BMW DIY Guy **
'Furiosa' F32 Build Thread

Last edited by BMW DIY Guy; 03-09-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #217
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
1297
Rep
8,077
Posts

Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (104)

Garage List
I'll be installing my 3.5 sensor as soon as it arrives, would like to also get the DV+ - waiting on your install video

Not looking forward to that install as I have AWD which is supposed to be even more of a PITA

Unless I have someone else do it - be interesting to see what that cost is...

As far as DP goes - I asked Andrew again & he stated still in testing on their M2 - mebbe another month till their Hi Flow Catted version comes out.

Good thing is Mike stated he would honor combo deal reduced pricing for AA DP/Flash Tune to anyone that already bought the tune from him separately for the DP when it is released
__________________
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Leather Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK Sound+Musicar Stg3//763M Wheels//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Dinan CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #218
chaungo
=D
chaungo's Avatar
Canada
1090
Rep
1,869
Posts

Drives: 13' 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Quoting part of my conversation with Active Autowerke:
"On N55 we’ve made about 440hp safely without additional upgrades to the fuel system (only upgraded 3.5bar tmap sensor). Anything more than that and you’ll need port injection or a piggyback. With fuel-it port injection and an Active-8, we’ve made about 530hp. Another problem at these power levels is excess heat. "

So while I don't know if I will ever change out the turbo, I feel I am well within reasonable parameters with sensible supporting upgrades like the TMAP and the diverter + that literally just arrived.
People change the turbo to have more power top end. Majority of those gains that AA made is normally low-mid range but never top end as turbo cannot physically handle it.

I also believe AA is quoting crank HP.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #219
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
JaredG_F30's Avatar
1017
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Are you doing the DV+ install yourself? I still have mine in the box as I've been dreading the install. I figured once my stock DV starts degrading and can't hold boost I'll go ahead and make the swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
I got my updated flash from AA including the 3.5 sensor and a slightly more aggressive torque request. I am *really* impressed.

I only had a short time to take the car out after, combined with traffic and wet conditions so couldnt push it. That said.. good god.. I have never had a back end wiggle coming out of 2nd into 3rd, and the butt dyno feels like a straight linear curve through the power band.

I didnt make it out of 3rd before I had to back off, my TINY log set shows about 15.1lbs max psi until I had to back off, at about 5600 rpm.

I cannot WAIT until the 31st and my next dyno. My DV+ will be installed on the 25th as well, so will be ready for great runs including logging. Still on hold for my high flow catted DP, and wish it could be ready in time but not happening yet.

oh oh oh.. and for the 6WB crowd.. I didnt realize I had yellow and red crawl bars up for RPM through the gauge until yesterday!!! My first run down a local straight away, was like WOAH WHAT IS THAT!! *laugh*
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #220
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
JaredG_F30's Avatar
1017
Rep
1,533
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

440 crank hp sounds more realistic. Using 15% DT loss and with my whp numbers, I would be in the 440 crank hp range. I bet I can put down more now that I'm in 93 octane country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
People change the turbo to have more power top end. Majority of those gains that AA made is normally low-mid range but never top end as turbo cannot physically handle it.

I also believe AA is quoting crank HP.
__________________

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST