F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brake pads (again)
GetBMWParts

03-25-2021, 06:25 PM   #23
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
As to rattles...gah, I hate working on interiors, give me mechanical stuff every day! Actually the BMW is so far okay and the Impreza is loud enough that you end up with tinnitus at the end of a long drive anyway so rattles get quieter as you go![/QUOTE]

Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      03-25-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post

Maybe the deafness caused by the Impreza just makes me oblivious to the noises in the F31? Certainly the G31 I was loaned before Christmas was noticeably quieter from the road but I couldn't pinpoint any one area where it was better. That said the front end knocking that will get warrantied when it goes in to get repainted is currently driving me nuts even though it's only going a few miles a week. But that doesn't count, that's something that's broken

Btw, this is a thread over on DW about my Impreza. At some point it'll get a full bare shell strip down but at the moment it has to be done in dribs and drabs. It's about to have a full front end suspension/steering rebuild with a new quick rack and all new/re-plated bolts/balljoints etc:

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...d.php?t=343759
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      03-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #25
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post

Maybe the deafness caused by the Impreza just makes me oblivious to the noises in the F31? Certainly the G31 I was loaned before Christmas was noticeably quieter from the road but I couldn't pinpoint any one area where it was better. That said the front end knocking that will get warrantied when it goes in to get repainted is currently driving me nuts even though it's only going a few miles a week. But that doesn't count, that's something that's broken

Btw, this is a thread over on DW about my Impreza. At some point it'll get a full bare shell strip down but at the moment it has to be done in dribs and drabs. It's about to have a full front end suspension/steering rebuild with a new quick rack and all new/re-plated bolts/balljoints etc:

https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...d.php?t=343759
Nice 1. I haven't seen an impreza,thought they only made them in blue! in red looks very nice.
I agree the knocking in the front end on the F3 series. I won't say anything. 'it's in the nature of this vehicle sir' told many times after dealer replaced many parts. Numerous threads on this in bimmerpost.
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      03-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #26
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Cheers, yeah the red is definitely not common. Much though I love the blue I just didn't want to have one at the time I bought this 8 years ago as they were everywhere. Now though you barely see any Impreza's on the road, they've all been crashed or broken for parts as for a while perfect condition STIs were worth more in bits than they were as full cars.

This is definitely something that's getting worse so I suspect an ARB bush or drop link, or even top mount. It previously had a front strut replaced but I don't know what for. If this is an 'they all do that sir' situation then I'll definitely be doing the hunting myself!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:53 AM   #27
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Nice car, don't see many around now.

Not to hijack the tread but this was may last Impreza Jap spec, absolute monster. I sold it then tried to buy it back the guy sold it to someone with a bankers draft, he never saw the car again or the money, stripped for parts as you say.

Name:  CIMG2792 (Medium).JPG
Views: 406
Size:  96.2 KB
Appreciate 1
Ennoch2257.00
      03-30-2021, 04:26 PM   #28
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

The hawk STI in black just looks so menacing and 'right', that was a stunning car you had. Shame it ended up disappearing with a dodgy deal although at least it wasn't you who lost out! The black is a lovely colour up close. The replacement skirts, scoop and winglets I got for mine were all in black and each time it seemed such a shame to paint over it with solid red.
Appreciate 1
Alscoob2120.50
      04-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #29
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Had EBC yellow on mine for a year and a half.

Cold bite no different to OEM, but much better when warm and not had any fade when hot (I dont do track)

Been perfect for me on the road. Would get them again.
Appreciate 2
peco6.00
Ennoch2257.00
      04-07-2021, 05:21 PM   #30
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
Had EBC yellow on mine for a year and a half.

Cold bite no different to OEM, but much better when warm and not had any fade when hot (I dont do track)

Been perfect for me on the road. Would get them again.
Thanks, the cold bite as good as OEM is definitely useful knowledge. I'm still bedding these new Ferodo Eco pads and discs in. The weather's not really allowed me to actually do any spirited driving, especially now I'm back up north just as the snow's arrived which has pushed the antlered vermin back down to lower level. Two emergency stops from 45mph to avoid them on the way north! They definitely work well enough cold but nothing outstanding, and on a short twisty section further south they seemed to fade after a few slows but that was probably within 50 miles of fitting them and not actually using them in anger beyond scrubbing off the anti corrosion coating. I'll see if they improve once I can give them a bit of stick and if not start looking at performance pads again.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #31
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Thanks, the cold bite as good as OEM is definitely useful knowledge. I'm still bedding these new Ferodo Eco pads and discs in. The weather's not really allowed me to actually do any spirited driving, especially now I'm back up north just as the snow's arrived which has pushed the antlered vermin back down to lower level. Two emergency stops from 45mph to avoid them on the way north! They definitely work well enough cold but nothing outstanding, and on a short twisty section further south they seemed to fade after a few slows but that was probably within 50 miles of fitting them and not actually using them in anger beyond scrubbing off the anti corrosion coating. I'll see if they improve once I can give them a bit of stick and if not start looking at performance pads again.
Any further update on the brakes (TRW/Ferodo set up) a few months down the line?

I'll be replacing discs and pads all round soon on my F31 330d. Just had its 5 year MOT and advisories issued for corrosion on inside face of discs. Annoying when I've only done 17k miles but I know it will be lack of use which has caused it.

I'm thinking of the grooved/dimpled Brembo discs from Autodoc, with matching pads. I really like the aesthetic and figure I'll be keeping the car for a few years yet, so might as well get something I like the look of!

Last edited by Bianchi Dave; 09-03-2021 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #32
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchi Dave View Post
Any further update on the brakes (TRW/Ferodo set up) a few months down the line?

I'll be replacing discs and pads all round soon on my F31 330d. Just had its 5 year MOT and advisories issued for corrosion on inside face of discs. Annoying when I've only done 17k miles but I know it will be lack of use which has caused it.

I'm thinking of the grooved/dimpled Brembo discs from Autodoc, with matching pads. I really like the aesthetic and figure I'll be keeping the car for a few years yet, so might as well get something I like the look of!
Not had any issues in about 3k of reasonably mixed driving; lots of pottering and sitting about on the A9 with cruise on, and some runs north of Inverness and coming down through Glencoe. As a day to day pad they're great, and in the main they take hard driving reasonably well given most times I'm driving like that I'm probably close to the 2T mark. I've had fade a few times but this is forgivable for a pad that is very much not marketed as a performance pad, and I was coming down a fairly long descent, over 2T, and definitely using the performance of the car. I am tempted by some performance pads but I'm still not sure it's worth it given how they are for 99% of everything, and I don't hang about when I am on fun roads.

One thing I did notice was that tyre pressure makes a huge difference to braking performance. After getting the car back from the bodyshop last time the pressures had dropped to about 2.2 bar but I hadn't clocked this and wasn't sure why the brakes just felt a bit lacklustre. Put the pressures back up after a few days (the steering was wooly too) and boom, braking performance returned instantly. Almost as thought the tyres were squirming and the EBD was doing its thing and reducing overall braking. Total conjecture, but either way, 2.7-2.8 bar and the brakes work fine!

I've actually just ordered some new rear discs as the not long ago (in mileage terms) genuine ones have got quite badly corroded on the rear face. I haven't ordered pads for the back yet as I'm waiting to decide whether to go uprated or not. If I'm not though then I'll be going for the Ferodo Eco's to match the front.

Not sure whether that answers your question or not, but basically I'm happy. They're dusty like the OEM pads but clean up easily with some shampoo and no need for cleaners. Equally I'm sure you'd be happy with the proper Brembo grooved rotors.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2021, 02:07 AM   #33
Bianchi Dave
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Not had any issues in about 3k of reasonably mixed driving; lots of pottering and sitting about on the A9 with cruise on, and some runs north of Inverness and coming down through Glencoe. As a day to day pad they're great, and in the main they take hard driving reasonably well given most times I'm driving like that I'm probably close to the 2T mark. I've had fade a few times but this is forgivable for a pad that is very much not marketed as a performance pad, and I was coming down a fairly long descent, over 2T, and definitely using the performance of the car. I am tempted by some performance pads but I'm still not sure it's worth it given how they are for 99% of everything, and I don't hang about when I am on fun roads.

One thing I did notice was that tyre pressure makes a huge difference to braking performance. After getting the car back from the bodyshop last time the pressures had dropped to about 2.2 bar but I hadn't clocked this and wasn't sure why the brakes just felt a bit lacklustre. Put the pressures back up after a few days (the steering was wooly too) and boom, braking performance returned instantly. Almost as thought the tyres were squirming and the EBD was doing its thing and reducing overall braking. Total conjecture, but either way, 2.7-2.8 bar and the brakes work fine!

I've actually just ordered some new rear discs as the not long ago (in mileage terms) genuine ones have got quite badly corroded on the rear face. I haven't ordered pads for the back yet as I'm waiting to decide whether to go uprated or not. If I'm not though then I'll be going for the Ferodo Eco's to match the front.

Not sure whether that answers your question or not, but basically I'm happy. They're dusty like the OEM pads but clean up easily with some shampoo and no need for cleaners. Equally I'm sure you'd be happy with the proper Brembo grooved rotors.
Thats helpful, thanks. I probably will go for Brembo all round. Was pricing it all up yesterday. I noticed the OEM pads have counterweights too, so just making sure I'm buying like for like. Don't have the time, tools or inclination to do it myself, so I'll be getting local indy to fit. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #34
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchi Dave View Post
Thats helpful, thanks. I probably will go for Brembo all round. Was pricing it all up yesterday. I noticed the OEM pads have counterweights too, so just making sure I'm buying like for like. Don't have the time, tools or inclination to do it myself, so I'll be getting local indy to fit. Cheers
No worries. I think most of the OEM spec pads (rather than uprated) come with the counterweights. The Ferodo Eco's certainly did and I think the schematic on Autodoc against the Brembo's shows them too.
Appreciate 1