F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

01-16-2022, 07:58 PM   #4115
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fra94 View Post
I tried various equalizer options, the only way to hear the audio slightly is to max out the volume of the aux input. But it feels like the sound is coming from headphones, pianissimo and noisy almost non-existent!:gridare:
Disabled the Equaliser app completely, kill it with fire and never touch again. Go to KSW Settings > Volume and adjust your sliders. Go to KSW Settings Factory Settings > Function > Amplifier Selection and select appropriate option. Finally go to Android settings > Sound and vibrations and adjust your sliders there as well. If all of that doesn't work for you then you messed up installation side and something is not connected correctly / securely.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:53 AM   #4116
fra94
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 118d F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
Disabled the Equaliser app completely, kill it with fire and never touch again. Go to KSW Settings > Volume and adjust your sliders. Go to KSW Settings Factory Settings > Function > Amplifier Selection and select appropriate option. Finally go to Android settings > Sound and vibrations and adjust your sliders there as well. If all of that doesn't work for you then you messed up installation side and something is not connected correctly / securely.
It does not work. The strange thing is the absence of audio when connecting the headphones to the aux output as the seller advised me. This makes me think of a defect in the unit or an incorrect configuration. I'm ruling out a cable problem
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:08 AM   #4117
fra94
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 118d F20

I was thinking of connecting a Bluetooth / aux receiver to the Android unit in order to have the audio on the Bluetooth and thus transfer it to the aux. But it doesn't connect. Why does Bluetooth connect only with the smartphone?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:09 PM   #4118
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I was thinking of connecting a Bluetooth / aux receiver to the Android unit in order to have the audio on the Bluetooth and thus transfer it to the aux. But it doesn't connect. Why does Bluetooth connect only with the smartphone?
Because it's intentionally locked by Chinese to mimic car's infortainment experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #4119
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there no modification possible? Maybe it was the only way to have sound
No, the system image has be modified to work like that. One would need to rewrite this part of Android OS code to preserve current functionality and restore normal Bluetooth functionality. There is a workaround that might work, or not, described in Android 10 thread. Issue with that is it's a workaround, not always works and you might need to repeat this lengthy procedure after every single boot.

If all you want is to improve Android's shit audio, just get FiiO E10K DAC on Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:34 AM   #4120
Fame336
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
Nice looks good.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:01 AM   #4121
nuwaus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Initially, you can get your Bluetooth device working by following this post:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26713116

Then use this app to connect to your device after each reboot (if necessary)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....bluetoothpair

To automate the process, use this app from App Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oft.macrodroid
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #4122
Pondaire
Private
Rep

Has anybody tried changing the wire that powers the unit to the accessory 12V? I've just installed Xposed and it kills me waiting for it to power up. Thus instead of using ignition on, we use ACC on for power and at least it buys us a few seconds once the door is unlocked/open. Not sure if it will interfere with the sleep mode or whatever it has though.

Last edited by Pondaire; 02-08-2022 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 02:29 AM   #4123
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondaire View Post
Has anybody tried changing the wire that powers the unit to the accessory 12V? I've just installed Xposed and it kills me waiting for it to power up. Thus instead of using ignition on, we use ACC on for power and at least it buys us a few seconds once the door is unlocked/open. Not sure if it will interfere with the sleep mode or whatever it has though.
Is this unit installed in your 2013 328i? If so that's F30 right? All F series cars have permanent 12V at the quadlock, OEM headunits never power down just enter deep sleep. So that means your Android already has permanent 12V and all it's waiting for is CAN packet says "wake the f*** up Samurai, we have a city to burn." Regardless of what Android unit you have, they're all driven by CAN commands so not much you can do to speed things up.

P.S.
I didn't forget about you. I will try to implement BroadcastReciver to make my keyboard work with your unit, I've been just super busy lately.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #4124
Pondaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Is this unit installed in your 2013 328i? If so that's F30 right? All F series cars have permanent 12V at the quadlock, OEM headunits never power down just enter deep sleep. So that means your Android already has permanent 12V and all it's waiting for is CAN packet says "wake the f*** up Samurai, we have a city to burn." Regardless of what Android unit you have, they're all driven by CAN commands so not much you can do to speed things up.

P.S.
I didn't forget about you. I will try to implement BroadcastReciver to make my keyboard work with your unit, I've been just super busy lately.
Hey Red! I tried to PM you but it didn't go through for some reason (full inbox or blocked?).
No worries and no rush. I appreciate all you do for the community!
I really want to mod my system apk but cannot figure out how to use Dexpatcher on Androis 8.1 and Xposed is the only way I know how to. Problem is Xposed delays boot by a bit...
It's interesting what you state about the wake up functions. I wasn't aware it was based on CAN! (Samurai lmao).
It's so interesting, because if I unlock the car and turn it on within 5-ish seconds, it boots up right away to the home screen (1-2 seconds delay?). If I take longer to turn on the car, it usually does a cold boot and it takes 20-ish seconds.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #4125
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey Red! I tried to PM you but it didn't go through for some reason (full inbox or blocked?).
No worries and no rush. I appreciate all you do for the community!
I really want to mod my system apk but cannot figure out how to use Dexpatcher on Androis 8.1 and Xposed is the only way I know how to. Problem is Xposed delays boot by a bit...
It's interesting what you state about the wake up functions. I wasn't aware it was based on CAN! (Samurai lmao).
It's so interesting, because if I unlock the car and turn it on within 5-ish seconds, it boots up right away to the home screen (1-2 seconds delay?). If I take longer to turn on the car, it usually does a cold boot and it takes 20-ish seconds.
Sorry, I have my PMs disabled (I get too many messages). Accept my friend request and we will be able to chat privately again.

I said earlier I cannot help you with Dexpatcher, this is not my forte.
As for the CAN, yes all is driven by CAN messages on these units. Well by all I mean not a lot as there is not a lot to start with but things like power state, video input switching, selected buttons and some additional info like lights, doors, rpm, speed etc. are CAN dependent. If you detach CAN cables from Android harness, it will boot up as soon as it gets 12V, but as I said, all modern BMWs have permanent 12V at the quadlock so this is not ideal solution.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2022, 03:27 PM   #4126
Pondaire
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I have my PMs disabled (I get too many messages). Accept my friend request and we will be able to chat privately again.

I said earlier I cannot help you with Dexpatcher, this is not my forte.
As for the CAN, yes all is driven by CAN messages on these units. Well by all I mean not a lot as there is not a lot to start with but things like power state, video input switching, selected buttons and some additional info like lights, doors, rpm, speed etc. are CAN dependent. If you detach CAN cables from Android harness, it will boot up as soon as it gets 12V, but as I said, all modern BMWs have permanent 12V at the quadlock so this is not ideal solution.
Not a problem! We'll just continue the conversation here for people that are interested in it.

I had to roll back to the no-Xposed system version because of the delayed boot. I just could not take it anymore lol.
Dexpatcher is not an option, since I cannot figure it out either, so what I'm going to do is try and attempt to patch things through smali. It's been a while, but I should be able to "noop" (block out/replace) specific functions/methods.

In regards to the iDrive keyboard. I have figured out something that kind of works, so you don't necessarily need to change anything. I was able to create a profile on Tasker that does a few things:
  • This works by reading the logcat. There is a message that says something like "iCanCar_button == x" from EventService, where x is a number for the specific button. If you rotate the button clockwise (CW), it will be different than counter-clockwise (CCW), left, right or push.
  • If you rotate 1x CW, 1x CCW, 1x CW, 1x CCW in this specific order within 0.7 seconds, it will launch the "recent apps". If you do it again, it will click recent apps again (thus going to the "last app")
  • If you rotate 1x CW, 1x CCW, 1x CW, 1x CCW, 1x CW in this specific order within 0.7 seconds, it will launch the "split screen" feature.
  • It uses the "Autoinput" plugin to know when the keyboard is out, or text entry element is selected. You can probably do it without this plugin, but being that you can get it for free after a day or two, it's just the easiest way to do it.
  • Once the keyboard is out, it uses a java function from the Google API to send DPAD events. It uses android.permission.INJECT_EVENTS for this. Only some (system) apps are allowed to use this, but the easiest way is to use Lucky Patcher to enable all the "Patch to Android" signature verification bypass.
  • Then the Tasker profile is exported as an app through "App Tasker Factory". In the options to export it, you can add permissions, and that's when you add the android.permission.INJECT_EVENTS. This way you don't need to modify the main Tasker app.

Link to the tasker profile is shown below and also attached to this post. If you use the one in this post, make sure to change the extension of the file from .txt to .xml (I couldn't upload it otherwise).
Profile Tasker
Attached Files
File Type: txt Rotary_keyboard.prj.xml.txt (28.5 KB, 41 views)
Appreciate 1
RedErik1020.50
      02-11-2022, 04:13 PM   #4127
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Not a problem! We'll just continue the conversation here for people that are interested in it.

I had to roll back to the no-Xposed system version because of the delayed boot. I just could not take it anymore lol.
Dexpatcher is not an option, since I cannot figure it out either, so what I'm going to do is try and attempt to patch things through smali. It's been a while, but I should be able to "noop" (block out/replace) specific functions/methods.

In regards to the iDrive keyboard. I have figured out something that kind of works, so you don't necessarily need to change anything. I was able to create a profile on Tasker that does a few things:

This works by reading the logcat. There is a message that says something like "iCanCar_button == x" from EventService, where x is a number for the specific button. If you rotate the button clockwise (CW), it will be different than counter-clockwise (CCW), left, right or push.
If you rotate 1x CW, 1x CCW, 1x CW, 1x CCW in this specific order within 0.7 seconds, it will launch the "recent apps". If you do it again, it will click recent apps again (thus going to the "last app")
If you rotate 1x CW, 1x CCW, 1x CW, 1x CCW, 1x CW in this specific order within 0.7 seconds, it will launch the "split screen" feature.
It uses the "Autoinput" plugin to know when the keyboard is out, or text entry element is selected. You can probably do it without this plugin, but being that you can get it for free after a day or two, it's just the easiest way to do it.
Once the keyboard is out, it uses a java function from the Google API to send DPAD events. It uses android.permission.INJECT_EVENTS for this. Only some (system) apps are allowed to use this, but the easiest way is to use Lucky Patcher to enable all the "Patch to Android" signature verification bypass.
Then the Tasker profile is exported as an app through "App Tasker Factory". In the options to export it, you can add permissions, and that's when you add the android.permission.INJECT_EVENTS. This way you don't need to modify the main Tasker app.

Link to the tasker profile is shown below and also attached to this post. If you use the one in this post, make sure to change the extension of the file from .txt to .xml (I couldn't upload it otherwise).
Profile Tasker
Nice work! And kudos to you for attempting smali modification.

As for the keyboard I still want to implement BroadcastRecevier so the keyboard reacts to your controller natively without any delay. This also ensure that the app is user friendly and it only require one toggle in setting to enable that for anyone using similar unit to yours.

You don't have to necessarily use Autoinput plugin to know what's going on with my keyboard. I've implemented Broadcast service that any app can pick up to find out what's going on:

There are for states:
`rotary keyboard` - keyboard open in rotary mode
`touch keyboard` - keyboard open in touch mode
`hidden` - keyboard closed (hidden)
`destroyed` - keyboard service stopped app needs to be relaunched
Package name is `com.rederik.idrivekeyboard`
Intent `com.rederik.idrivekeyboard.KEYBOARD_STATE_CHANGE`

I will try to work on update this weekend to implement support for your unit.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2022, 03:45 AM   #4128
pucha2601
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E70

Hi, does anyone have a full system image up to px6 in .img format? The system is completely dead and I have to upload it with RKDevtool
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 08:57 PM   #4129
Pondaire
Private
Rep

So I have made some progress smali editing the EventCenter app. I was able to start removing functions that were not really that useful... I have been able to completely disable the taskkiller... what a difference! From having to reopen (non-running) apps every few minutes, to now having all of them in the cache ready to be fired when switched to!
I have also been able to disable the function that triggers when the steering wheel Mode button is selected. It used to drive me insane that it would switch to DVR, video, music, gps, etc when I pushed it by mistake. Now it does not! I have not thought of something I can use it for yet, but I'm sure something will come to mind soon.
Finally, the last function I was patching was for the auto diming feature when the car headlights turn on. I patched one function but it was not the right one I guess... Will investigate more soon.

I know a lot of this stuff was already fixed in other versions of Android, but for those of us that are still stuck on Android 8.1 and have access to root & lucky patcher, this is amazing.
Appreciate 1
RedErik1020.50
      03-06-2022, 07:17 AM   #4130
izomorfix
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by izomorfix View Post
Hello guys. Does anyone have an updated MCU and a firmware for this Android 9 HU?
I was looking on all the forums, but I wasn't able to find anything.
Thanks!
I know that I've asked this question before, regarding an update for my HU, and from the lack of responses, I suspect there's no new version available.
The problem that I'm facing is with the Waze app, where it freezes randomly during a trip, it loses the gps signal, then it finally closes. This might happen at any given time, there's no symptom that might trigger it, and everything else works normally, all apps functioning as usual.
If I use Google Maps, i never have this issue, so it's not a gps issue.
I already tried to clear cache, storage, reinstall waze, reset the HU to factory seelttings, but nothing works.
I suspect it is a issue with the mcu or the android firmware, but I need a new version, so I can test this theory.
Anyone else faced a similar issue before? If so, any tips?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 02:18 AM   #4131
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by izomorfix View Post
I know that I've asked this question before, regarding an update for my HU, and from the lack of responses, I suspect there's no new version available.
The problem that I'm facing is with the Waze app, where it freezes randomly during a trip, it loses the gps signal, then it finally closes. This might happen at any given time, there's no symptom that might trigger it, and everything else works normally, all apps functioning as usual.
If I use Google Maps, i never have this issue, so it's not a gps issue.
I already tried to clear cache, storage, reinstall waze, reset the HU to factory seelttings, but nothing works.
I suspect it is a issue with the mcu or the android firmware, but I need a new version, so I can test this theory.
Anyone else faced a similar issue before? If so, any tips?
Thanks!
Try to disable battery management for Waze (basically set it to unrestricted) and see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 03:34 AM   #4132
ivang80
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84

Wher is buy best ebay or aliexpres
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #4133
Umi
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metafan View Post
Thanks
The trip computer in the idrive is not showing any information and the clock is impossible to set, you set it and it reverts back to --:--
Is this normal?
Please help.
Hi Metafan,

I installed Android 11 12.3” on my car and have the same issue. Did you fix yours? If so how did you do it?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #4134
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi View Post
Hi Metafan,

I installed Android 11 12.3” on my car and have the same issue. Did you fix yours? If so how did you do it?
Any issues with time and trip computer are caused by lack of communication with the cluster. You will also find that the CBS menu is not working anymore. Most likely you didn't shift the MOST line from OEM quadlock to Chinese extension quadlock.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 04:25 PM   #4135
DarrenD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (f30)

Hi folks,

Snapdragon unit running pretty solid on Android 9 except sometimes when I boot up it takes me to the useless telephone Bluetooth screen?

I have upto date with firmware and use a reliable CarPlay dongle but I’ve tried disconnecting it and every other variation I can think of including changing ID interfaces and the boot options but sometimes it will just boot into Android Bluetooth menu regardless, anybody else experienced?

It just means I have to press buttons to multitask into a useful screen either CarPlay or Android music and it happens maybe 1 in 10 times but it might not happen for a while then all of a sudden twice in a row…
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:59 PM   #4136
izomorfix
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Try to disable battery management for Waze (basically set it to unrestricted) and see how that goes.
The app is already set to unrestricted in the battery management. I'm not sure what else to do
Appreciate 0