F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F36 Performance Lip Mounting (Drilling needed?)
proTUNING Freaks

07-04-2022, 02:00 AM   #1
BTolsma
Rep
Drives: F36 428i

Question F36 Performance Lip Mounting (Drilling needed?)

Hi guys,

I've picked up my new (for me) f36 428i last week.
I'm looking at mods and there's a few things I'm certain about wanting to do.
The Performance exterior being one of them.

However, the idea of having to drill into the bumper is not in the slightest appealing to me.

That's why I ask the following;
Can I mount the M-performance (repro) front lip onto the car with just 3m tape and the OEM fastener-points and holes that are already in the bumper?

Or will I absolutely háve to drill into the bumper with self-tapping screws and such?

On my old e87 I had a lip that mounted into the OEM holes, and I really hope that same system is applicable here.

Thanks in advance!
Bas
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

The M Perf splitter for F32/F36 definitely requires two holes to be drilled in the bottom of the front bumper. They’re absolutely required for the center structural attachment, for the two bolts to pick up the inserted upper CF attachment plate. The remaining fastener/CF nut plate attachments all use existing holes.

I don’t know if imitation/repro lips include this mounting hardware…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 04:03 AM   #3
BTolsma
Rep

I figured as much, 2 holes is acceptable.
Most repro's don't have a mounting-plate like the one in your picture, but I can fab something myself no problem. I for sure won't be using just self-tapping screws like in the repro-instructions. That'll get ripped out of the bumper for suuuuure!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 05:51 AM   #4
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Replica lips can have totally different mounting holes predrilled so using self tapping screws may be unavoidable. The one I got has 1 hole in the middle for a self tapper and the rest uses 3m tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
BTolsma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Replica lips can have totally different mounting holes predrilled so using self tapping screws may be unavoidable. The one I got has 1 hole in the middle for a self tapper and the rest uses 3m tape.
The lip I'm getting has 2 holes luckily

Although, a hole's a hole, and if there's a hole, I can use nuts and bolts and washer to secure it properly, even if it's only 1 hole. I'll fab a piece like pictured above, and I'll secure everything with nylon nuts. It might be a bit overkill, but I refuse to have the lip tear off at high speeds. It'll be tricky enough driving without scraping, I don't need it flying off as well lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 06:50 AM   #6
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTolsma View Post
The lip I'm getting has 2 holes luckily

Although, a hole's a hole, and if there's a hole, I can use nuts and bolts and washer to secure it properly, even if it's only 1 hole. I'll fab a piece like pictured above, and I'll secure everything with nylon nuts. It might be a bit overkill, but I refuse to have the lip tear off at high speeds. It'll be tricky enough driving without scraping, I don't need it flying off as well lol.
Are you getting carbon fiber? If so where are you getting yours from? Not a big fan of mine and if it breaks would like to know of a better version.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 07:12 AM   #7
BTolsma
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Are you getting carbon fiber? If so where are you getting yours from? Not a big fan of mine and if it breaks would like to know of a better version.
I'm getting PU in gloss black, as I'm trying to keep my F36 a bit subtle/stealth. Besides that, IMO fake carbon looks well... fake, so if I were to go carbon, it'd have to be real.

I'm getting my from Bimmerproducts.nl - A Dutch store that stocks just about everything I could ask for in terms of mods and parts.
Appreciate 0