F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Sway bar
GetBMWParts

04-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 xi Gran Turismo

Sway bar

Anyone upgraded their Sway bar? Not a big fan of the mid corner rolling but I think the suspension stiffness is spot on.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGT View Post
Anyone upgraded their Sway bar? Not a big fan of the mid corner rolling but I think the suspension stiffness is spot on.
Probably want an anti-sway bar instead!

A thicker antisway bar will tend to slap the wheel back down a bit more on rough roads although probably minimal....I was just reacting to "spot on", so you might feel some difference.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Probably want an anti-sway bar instead!

A thicker antisway bar will tend to slap the wheel back down a bit more on rough roads although probably minimal....I was just reacting to "spot on", so you might feel some difference.
Anti sway lol, just found out no company does anti sway bar for the F34, guess that's not happening soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

You are looking for stiffer springs and dampers.
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Anti sway lol, just found out no company does anti sway bar for the F34, guess that's not happening soon.
https://suspension-shop.com/h-r-anti...plete-kit.html

http://srbpower.com/products/h-r-ant...e-10-11-1.html

May find a more convenient seller, but it's out there.....

BTW, "Skyline".....love the chili!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Agreed. Look for coilovers/spring set.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
You are looking for stiffer springs and dampers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalpinoy911 View Post
Agreed. Look for coilovers/spring set.
How do you reach this conclusion when the OP says suspension stiffness is already "spot on"?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How do you reach this conclusion when the OP says suspension stiffness is already "spot on"?
335 has soft springs and dampers. Sway bar does not change that. Sway bar should be upgraded after springs, dampers, lowering or at minimum considered and tuned together.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
335 has soft springs and dampers. Sway bar does not change that. Sway bar should be upgraded after springs, dampers, lowering or at minimum considered and tuned together.
The OP apparently likes the soft springs and dampers just as they are...said the stiffness is correct for him as is....just wants to reduce roll. Ideally, all components should be calibrated as a system, but he is not asking to make any of the other changes which would affect ride comfort...just wants to potentially benefit from an anti-sway bar upgrade (which will have much less deteriorating effect on ride comfort for him as it more strongly resists displacement on rough/broken road surfaces).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The OP apparently likes the soft springs and dampers just as they are...said the stiffness is correct for him as is....just wants to reduce roll. Ideally, all components should be calibrated as a system, but he is not asking to make any of the other changes which would affect ride comfort...just wants to potentially benefit from an anti-sway bar upgrade (which will have much less deteriorating effect on ride comfort for him as it more strongly resists displacement on rough/broken road surfaces).
If the OP is concerned about ride quality, I would not recommend a stiffer sway bar. You would feel the bumps in the road from both sides even more.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If the OP is concerned about ride quality, I would not recommend a stiffer sway bar. You would feel the bumps in the road from both sides even more.
Exactly right, but it becomes a matter of degree/lesser of evils....tolerate the roll, stiffen springs/struts, thicken antisway bar....which gets him closest to his goal without deteriorating what he already likes...the ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #12
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
https://suspension-shop.com/h-r-anti...plete-kit.html

http://srbpower.com/products/h-r-ant...e-10-11-1.html

May find a more convenient seller, but it's out there.....

BTW, "Skyline".....love the chili!
Thanks, my other car is a r32 hence the skyline name.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I guess there might be a trade off there, I'll do the tune first and then see if the body can handle it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, my other car is a r32 hence the skyline name.
LOL....in Cincinnati, as you likely know, that name has a more popular meaning!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Exactly right, but it becomes a matter of degree/lesser of evils....tolerate the roll, stiffen springs/struts, thicken antisway bar....which gets him closest to his goal without deteriorating what he already likes...the ride.
To lessen roll the first thing you do is use stiffer springs. The first thing that suffers when you do is the ride. You can have a comfortable ride or you can have minimal body roll. Comfortable ride and minimal body roll isn't an option. If the OP was adding anti-sway to a car that wasn't equipped with them it might help, but just beefing up the stock anti-sway probably won't.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
To lessen roll the first thing you do is use stiffer springs. The first thing that suffers when you do is the ride. You can have a comfortable ride or you can have minimal body roll. Comfortable ride and minimal body roll isn't an option. If the OP was adding anti-sway to a car that wasn't equipped with them it might help, but just beefing up the stock anti-sway probably won't.
If ride comfort isn't an issue, your path makes very good sense. I faced a similar situation with a W204 chassis Mercedes C Class. I didn't want to play with springs/struts for the same reason as the OP. I did install a set of Eibach thicker anti-sway bars. There was a very slightly noticeable increased "snap back" on broken pavement, but generally, the ride quality did not deteriorate on the minute displacements on reasonable/good quality pavement, as the anti-sway bar did not seem to react with much force. If the OP wants to try anything at all, given his priorities, I would still try the bars before anything more intrusive. If that turns out to be too much, the springs/struts would certainly be moreso.

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-07-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #17
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I guess there might be a trade off there, I'll do the tune first and then see if the body can handle it.
You will always be trading-off factors. Ideally all the components should be tuned together. BMW does this on the Nurburgring with its new cars albeit with a certain dynamic in mind which may not be suitable for every single driver. Chassis-Sways-Springs-Dampers-Tires. The F30 already has admirable chassis stiffness so it is already there. If you stiffen sways-springs to the max, you will roll alot less but be putting alot of pressure and therefore heat on the tires on the corners. I am of course talking about severe driving/track dynamics but the point is these are all components which should be tuned together.
The 335 does have a bit more bounce in it and the LCI solves that a bit by employing stiffer dampers. The springs are the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
LOL....in Cincinnati, as you likely know, that name has a more popular meaning!
Yeah, first time I moved here I thought cheese were free in Ohio.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You will always be trading-off factors. Ideally all the components should be tuned together. BMW does this on the Nurburgring with its new cars albeit with a certain dynamic in mind which may not be suitable for every single driver. Chassis-Sways-Springs-Dampers-Tires. The F30 already has admirable chassis stiffness so it is already there. If you stiffen sways-springs to the max, you will roll alot less but be putting alot of pressure and therefore heat on the tires on the corners. I am of course talking about severe driving/track dynamics but the point is these are all components which should be tuned together.
The 335 does have a bit more bounce in it and the LCI solves that a bit by employing stiffer dampers. The springs are the same.
Right, I actually hate it that they didn't change the spring, they smash more due to softer damper.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #20
SkylineGT
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks very much for all your help! Ironically, I found the soft feeling to be the comfortable seat, dealer give me a 330 loaner car with sport seat and it felt completely different when you don't bounce around in the cabin! 330 is not necessarily a much more stiffer car.
Appreciate 0