F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY - F30 OEM Backup / reversing camera retrofit installed!
Extreme Powerhouse

10-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #595
qikz
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poechi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qikz View Post
Hello, need help ppl...

First i retrofited rear camera everything was perfect. After that i retrofitet surround view, same .. everything was perfect.
Yestarday i replaced my rear camera cable with a longer one from x5... camera it works but dynamic lines doesn't move with steering wheel anymore ... dunno why and how to fix it
The only bad thing i did was to start the car without FEM jacks on it...(forgot to put them back) ...

Any thoughts?
What if you reverse the long cable for the one previously? Same problem?
it was the first thing i did, same problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:58 AM   #596
Poechi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Wondering if the lines wont move then maybe there is no input signal from steering wheel. Did you check the fuses?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #597
qikz
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poechi View Post
Wondering if the lines wont move then maybe there is no input signal from steering wheel. Did you check the fuses?
I did that now, fuse 48 and 55 are from the steering wheel and both are ok, but i didn't stop at just those and i checked all the fuses (front + back panel). I didn't find any bad fuse....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #598
Poechi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hook up ista and check for fault codes. Maybe trsvc is throwing some.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #599
Eddie_fai
Rep
Drives: 320 ia sport

Hello,have a question. My trsvc was damaged by ista d so I order the used trsvc. After replaced everything is normal but using the ista-d check. It still show the trsvc fault code. Should i doing something else? Thx all
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #600
hpeti
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F45

good good to learn
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:58 AM   #601
Poechi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_fai View Post
Hello,have a question. My trsvc was damaged by ista d so I order the used trsvc. After replaced everything is normal but using the ista-d check. It still show the trsvc fault code. Should i doing something else? Thx all
Reset fault codes and check again.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #602
starsky
Rep
Drives: Mini F60 sd

Hello, where you could get the micro mini connectors to connect the pins to the k-can line
You can order in Bmw? teneis ref.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #603
gylopl
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 & f32

Hey, I have a problem, I added 3AG to FA and saved to the car. Coded FEM, REM, HU_NBT2, but I do not have TRVSC ecu visible. My car is BMW f32 LCI 2017.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #604
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gylopl View Post
Hey, I have a problem, I added 3AG to FA and saved to the car. Coded FEM, REM, HU_NBT2, but I do not have TRVSC ecu visible. My car is BMW f32 LCI 2017.
Can you tell the exact build month of the car?
Because in 07/2017 there were some changes.
I don't know exactly what changes but in the parts catalog there are some hints that a new FEM is needed.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:38 AM   #605
domlin
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d, BMW E46 330Ci

Just completed this retrofit on a 2013 F30 330d.

Purchased both the TRSVC and the Camera in the boot/trunk button handle from ebay. The TRSVC came with the 10 pin connector and a HSD camera for just less than £70 delivered from the US, and the camera and button handle was £60 delivered from Lithuania. As the wiring loom was so simple, I made this myself.

For the CAN wires, as they need to be twisted pair, I used some CAT5E cable and pulled one of the pairs out of that. The video cable (FBAS) was standard 2 core + shield video cable, available extremely cheaply online. The other wires were just appropriately sized for ground and power.

Coding was straight forward, and I didn't end up having the 'Rear View Malfunction' that people seem to receive, so ISTA wasn't required to run a calibration/teach-in.

All in all, very happy for a total cost of about £130.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #606
gylopl
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
Can you tell the exact build month of the car?
Because in 07/2017 there were some changes.
I don't know exactly what changes but in the parts catalog there are some hints that a new FEM is needed.
Production date is 2017-07-24. So I need to buy new FEM module? Can you show me this parts catalog
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #607
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Production date is 2017-07-24. So I need to buy new FEM module? Can you show me this parts catalog
Thanks in advance.

OK, I asked about it.
Cars from 07/2017 have another FEM which no longer has the KCAN at FEM.
At the KCAN the TRSVC ecu is connected.
There are now 2 possibilities.
You can order a new FEM and the rest of the retrofit is the same.
Or you can retrofit an ICAM from another BMW car series.
I found the information on this german thread:
https://www.f30-forum.de/index.php?t...sten/&pageNo=5
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #608
gylopl
Rep

atzebmw, thank for your support, I checked forum from your link with google chrome and translate

I was reading couple of times this thread before I started retrofit camera, and I did not notice that someone wrote about new module from 07/2017, I am blind

I will give a try to change FEM module since everything is connected and I have another BMW F30 LCI from 08/2015 with OEM reverse camera(factory, not retrofited)
I checked that F30LCI FEM is compatible with F32LCI.
If I replace FEM do I need to code this FEM module? and then is chance that TRVSC ECU will show? Or TRVSC ecu should show without coding?

PS. My pins 51/52 were also empty but I think it is not a problem since some people here has similar situation.

Last edited by gylopl; 01-25-2020 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:44 PM   #609
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Quote:
If I replace FEM do I need to code this FEM module? and then is chance that TRVSC ECU will show? Or TRVSC ecu should show without coding?

PS. My pins 51/52 were also empty but I think it is not a problem since some people here has similar situation.
Yes, the FEM has to be coded in any case and the TRSVC should then be visible.
But i'm not sure if it's so easy to change the FEM, because the key access authorization is also managed by the FEM.

Edit:
But when you want to test the FEM from the F30 maybe the TRSVC will be shown immediately without coding.

Last edited by atzebmw; 01-25-2020 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 08:10 AM   #610
g-boo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I just finished the back up camera retrofit to my 2012 328i.
As I was not quite confident with the coding I had somebody to do the job. He added 3ag and coded CIC and REM.
The camera worked right away for 30mins. After that it shows the heat map from the PDC sensors in the center of the display and the camera symbol is grayed out. No error message.
Has anyone an idea what goes wrong. Any advice for the trouble shooting. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:08 AM   #611
radeohedca
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i

Am I missing something ? $699 for the backup camera hardware ? Wouldn't it be a much better value to buy an Android retrofit system instead which can do backup camera and a whole lot more for similar money ?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:25 AM   #612
Poechi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
Am I missing something ? $699 for the backup camera hardware ? Wouldn't it be a much better value to buy an Android retrofit system instead which can do backup camera and a whole lot more for similar money ?
Use eBay. You can do it for less than 300
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 04:27 PM   #613
mrbmz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 2012 320D

Such a great post. Would any of you amazing experts in here know at all if the higher version Control Module (to suit vehicles with side cameras) will also work for the purposes of just a Reverse camera install?

I've come across one of these with the camera etc at the right price, but just not sure if this will work if I only want the reverse camera?

Hoping that someone might know!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:46 AM   #614
Gutxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 320I

Wow , this is amazing. I just found your post . I’m retrofitting my head unit and I lost connection with my rear view camera. You think you can PM me the pin layout of your manual? So maybe I can re-wire without having to add another set of cables and camera?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F30 View Post
The 2013 car I purchased came with PDC and Navigation but did not have a backup cam. Initially I thought the backup cam wasn’t important, but after a couple months of ownership, I began to have too many occasions where I said to myself, why didn’t I get it….

So, after some research I found Bimmer-tech and was pleased to see they offered an OEM retrofit kit for the backup camera. After some emailing with Patryk @ Bimmer-tech, he confirmed my options would make this a relatively painless install. And for the most part, it was!

First, for an easy install and proper compatibility, you’ll need the following two options:

1) iDrive Navigation
2) Park Distance Control (rear only is OK)

A week later a box arrived via DHL containing the following items:

OEM camera module (and OEM mounting screw)
OEM trunk handle with OEM camera pre-installed
Wiring harness and camera cable
ODBII cable with RJ45 on other end to connect to computer for programming
OEM wire taps for 3 of the wires (yes, BMW makes wire taps for repair purposes)
Several plastic wire ties
Install manual

After reading through the manual, and a couple clarification emails with Bimmer-tech, I felt I was ready to tackle this project. First thing was to follow the advice from Patryk (and the manual) and make certain sure I had the following tools:
#2 Philips screwdriver, torx driver with 3 bit sizes, 10mm socket wrench, wire cutters (to trim the wire ties), a plastic poking tool (to help insert the pins into the factory harnesses), and a set of plastic trim removal tools. Definitely be sure to get trim removal tools!

The retrofit required I remove the following interior parts from car:

Under dash panel
Front/rear door floor sill trim
B pillar lower trim
Rear seat shoulder bolster trim
Trunk trim on right side
Trunk floor trim
Trunk lid trim
Dash trim
A/C and radio/CD trim
iDrive Navigation unit (Nav did not need to be fully removed, just enough to expose the main harness).

Took about 2.5 hours to remove all trim pieces (and about 1 hour to reinstall later). The biggest pain was to remove the OEM trunk release handle. The trunk release handle is held in place with pressure clips. The trouble is the clips are tight and the space for your hands is small. Finally got it after 30 minutes of fiddling.

From there I ran the camera cable starting at the trunk handle hole, through the trunk to the underdash area on driver’s side.

Next, was to run the main harness which starts under the drivers dash (and attaches to the camera module). Three wires go to the iDrive unit. All 3 wires came with the appropriate pins so all I had to do was push them into the corresponding holes in the main iDrive connector. Fairly easy once I removed the iDrive unit.

The next two wires went to the communication protocol that allows modules to talk with each other. These wires are tapped using the supplied OEM wire taps and the wires are located along the driver’s floor, in a harness that runs to the driver seat. Not terribly difficult since the manual described the correct wire colors and those were easy to find in the seat harness.

Last two wires were +12V and GND. GND was a short run that ran behind the carpet to the drivers side underdash lamp. Here I used a supplied OEM tap to connect the camera GND to the lamp GND. Easy. The +12V wire was run along the floor, next to the camera cable until I reached the rear fusebox located in the trunk floor. The rear fusebox came with the 5A fuse already installed in the empty fuse port already designed for the camera module. All I had to do was push the pin into the empty slot. It was a tight fit and the plastic push tool helped.

I completed mounting the camera module under the dash (perfect fit) and then returned the iDrive back to the dash and I reinstalled the dash trim.

I then contacted Bimmer-tech and received an email advising me of software to pre-install so they can connect to my car. Requires a Windows PC and Internet connection where your car is located. The software took about 20 minutes to download and install and then I contacted Bimmer-tech to connect. Once they contacted me, the programmer took over and programmed my car. Took about 1 hour to program and test.

The OEM camera works the same as if it was factory installed. I compared to a friend’s car that has a factory installed rear camera and indeed this one works the same. Everything is there, parking aid lines, PDC obstructions shown onscreen, and all controls in iDrive.

The best part about the rear cam is that the video image appears almost immediately after starting car and placing car into Reverse. For anyone with CIC iDrive this will be a huge plus since the iDrive typically takes up to 20 seconds to startup and show the PDC image.

I highly recommend anyone with iDrive Navigation and PDC (rear is OK) to consider the rear camera retrofit. You won’t be disappointed. Based on my research Bimmer-tech is the only vendor offering a true OEM solution. And Patryk and his programmer were a pleasure to work with. I would recommend Bimmer-tech.

BTW, Bimmer-tech also offers a non OEM retrofit which is less $ and also works with cars lacking PDC. I cannot comment on this kit as I have no experience. Just saw it on their website and briefly discussed with Patryk.

Here's some pics from the kit and the final view in iDrive.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 04:51 PM   #615
chhunkyf30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

Looks good! Ordered the Rearview MMI with VividScreen update but ran into coding issues
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #616
Court
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 2016 335xD (Current)

Hey all, this is a big thread and I've found it very useful!

I've just carried out the retrofit and I need a little help to identify what needs coding.

Car - F31 LCI 2016
Has front and rear PDC, 6WB and NBT_EVO PRO

Ive mangaged to install the TRSVC and coded it as per Shawnseridan instructions, and this has taken.

Quote:
You need to first inject CAFD into TRSVC:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired TRSVC => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on TRSVC (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
I've followed atzebmw instructions

Quote:
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > AUX1_IN_HU = wert_255 [Default]
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > CAMERA_SYSTEM = trsvc
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > MACRO_RV_C = aktiv
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 > TRSVC = wert_81

And maybe you need also the codings in REM...
REM_01 > PdcParkMasterVar 3203 > RVC = wert_02

And then as a little bonus you can code the zoom for the trailer coupling.
HU_NBT > EXBOX 3001 >MACRO_TRAILER_COUPLING = aktiv
There's mention of doing the following as well;
  • FEM_BODY
  • ICM
  • REM

Can anyone help?

Big Thanks!
Appreciate 0