F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dorch stg1 hpfp enough?
GetBMWParts

10-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #45
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Your talking about a 100% self adjusting flex fuel tune...Ecutek has it and Yes I heard BM3 was coming out with it... will require inline sensor....good point to make ... I'm sure MHD will follow-up with it... they have with everything else...probably why they maybe are not pursuing a Stage2+full 85 OTS.... someone just gonna look at the code and figure it out.. they all do...no matter what I'll be getting the new pump... I'm in no hurry so might just wait to see if MHD does or doesn't... thanks for the info... just don't be so mean when responding... you hurt my feelings.... lol....
Hahah, if you know me in person, you know I’m just acting mean, but really aren’t.

His new OTS actually has a ton of built in adjustability without needing a flex fuel sensor. It’s just not going to eke out that last 5-10whp of a really good full custom E85 tune, but I’ve already explained why that’s a bad path unless you’re outside the US and have easy access to year round high quality E85 everywhere you travel.

But like you, I do plan to install the flex fuel sensor for times when I can only find 93 or race gas, or happen upon a bad batch of flex fuel E85....

Last edited by ZM2; 10-03-2020 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Your talking about a 100% self adjusting flex fuel tune...Ecutek has it and Yes I heard BM3 was coming out with it... will require inline sensor....good point to make ... I'm sure MHD will follow-up with it... they have with everything else...probably why they maybe are not pursuing a Stage2+full 85 OTS.... someone just gonna look at the code and figure it out.. they all do...no matter what I'll be getting the new pump... I'm in no hurry so might just wait to see if MHD does or doesn't... thanks for the info... just don't be so mean when responding... you hurt my feelings.... lol....
I've heard the talk about flex fuel tunes integrating an ethanol sensor, but I have not heard how they are going to get this signal to the DME? We aren't running stadalones or piggybacks, so I am wondering what signal that are going to use to tell the ECU what the E% is and create the flex fuel tables based on that... Again, I am very aware of how this is done on standalone ECUs or even with a piggyback box but have not seen an example of how its done with completely stock DME and no piggyback since this platform does not come with an ethanol sensor stock, so would like to know if anyone knows. Part of me thinks they would need to ditch another sensor and integrate flex fuel signal in its place (i.e., MAF and run MAF-less tune), but not sure.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #47
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I've heard the talk about flex fuel tunes integrating an ethanol sensor, but I have not heard how they are going to get this signal to the DME? We aren't running stadalones or piggybacks, so I am wondering what signal that are going to use to tell the ECU what the E% is and create the flex fuel tables based on that... Again, I am very aware of how this is done on standalone ECUs or even with a piggyback box but have not seen an example of how its done with completely stock DME and no piggyback since this platform does not come with an ethanol sensor stock, so would like to know if anyone knows. Part of me thinks they would need to ditch another sensor and integrate flex fuel signal in its place (i.e., MAF and run MAF-less tune), but not sure.
How does Ecutek do it...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #48
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Holy moly... just looked up Ecutek tuner and there is a place 20minutes away from me that does it and they have a DYNO!!!!!! .... same place "ModtoFame" on youtube uses for his 1000hp hellcat... think he's related to the owner some how... So gonna look into it...this flex fuel thing really really has me interested... gonna start around E47 if I go this route....

and they do coilovers and alignments.... One Stop shopping for me....

Last edited by FastF30; 10-04-2020 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #49
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I was expecting more....

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #50
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I was expecting more....

That’s on the stock downpipe. A Catlessdown pipe would keep EGT down and allow more boost
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #51
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
That’s on the stock downpipe. A Catlessdown pipe would keep EGT down and allow more boost
Where are you getting stock DP from? The video specifically says 'turbo back exhaust' and lists VRSF DP as a mod. So it basically has HPFP, Dinan intake, IC (not clear if Dinan or VRSF), and VRSF DP. I agree they should have made more power with E65...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 11:45 PM   #52
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Going back to plan "A+"....

Spool fx150
Spool 10micron inline filter
Spool Inline sensor to tank version
Pureboost/BM3 custom tune E47/E65*

*Tune revised since earlier discussion with Zm2

I mixed the "E85" few weeks ago and still barley burned over an 1/8th of a tank (gets awesome gas mileage... lol) ... Gonna go this route since mixing it will be a lot easier with Inline Sensor... if flex fuel tune happens ... then great... until then... gonna have some fun... gonna check out that dyno that's not to far from me... It looks like a single roller... I still can do it with Xdrive if I put it in dyno-mode... yes/no??????

Last edited by FastF30; 10-05-2020 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:28 AM   #53
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
MHD was running this on the N54.... so guess I'll wait and see.....

Last edited by FastF30; 10-05-2020 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 01:08 AM   #54
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
His new OTS actually has a ton of built in adjustability without needing a flex fuel sensor.
Sooo uses the knock sensor to put it in the ball park for a certain table to run???? I'm just guessing.... has to use some sort of existing sensor... We already told the computer we are running "E" so it will run the timing up until it hits it's ceiling... hmmmm....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #55
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sooo uses the knock sensor to put it in the ball park for a certain table to run???? I'm just guessing.... has to use some sort of existing sensor... We already told the computer we are running "E" so it will run the timing up until it hits it's ceiling... hmmmm....
There is already an octane adaptation so it probably uses a similar approach to that. I don't think there is an octane 'sensor' though, i believe this is learned from other sensors such as knock, how much timing you are targeting, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #56
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

That video of Nostrum's reminded me that I saw they also make a upgraded hpfp that I have never heard talked about on here.
Anyone ever try their hpfp?
It looks like the one in my link would be perfect for anyone running a ps2 with an ethanol mix.
https://www.nostrumshop.com/product/bmw-n55-hpfp-kit/
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #57
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Going back to plan "A+"....

Spool fx150
Spool 10micron inline filter
Spool Inline sensor to tank version
Pureboost/BM3 custom tune E47/E65*

*Tune revised since earlier discussion with Zm2

I mixed the "E85" few weeks ago and still barley burned over an 1/8th of a tank (gets awesome gas mileage... lol) ... Gonna go this route since mixing it will be a lot easier with Inline Sensor... if flex fuel tune happens ... then great... until then... gonna have some fun... gonna check out that dyno that's not to far from me... It looks like a single roller... I still can do it with Xdrive if I put it in dyno-mode... yes/no??????
I'm not sure about the dyno mode thing making your car work on a 2wd dyno. You could always get xdelete to use a 2wd dyno.
Appreciate 0