F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is dorch stage 2 supposed to be this loud?
Studio RSR

06-05-2023, 01:19 PM   #1
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Xdrive

Is dorch stage 2 supposed to be this loud?

Installed yesterday and everything is functioning perfectly. No leaks or install issues. I'm just annoyed at how loud the high pressure fuel system is now. I can't tell if the clicking is the pump or injectors, is it possible the pump made the injectors much louder?

https://youtube.com/shorts/7w5x0z4C95s?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 02:11 PM   #2
Doctor X
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by morritse View Post
Installed yesterday and everything is functioning perfectly. No leaks or install issues. I'm just annoyed at how loud the high pressure fuel system is now. I can't tell if the clicking is the pump or injectors, is it possible the pump made the injectors much louder?

https://youtube.com/shorts/7w5x0z4C95s?feature=share
I've heard that the fuel pump does add an annoying clicking noise.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 02:23 PM   #3
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor X View Post
I've heard that the fuel pump does add an annoying clicking noise.
As long as it's normal it's fine.

Strangely from my ears it sounds like it's making the INJECTORS louder. When I put my ear to the pump itself it doesn't sound that loud.

I bought some extra sound deadening foam I'll try to pack in.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 03:35 PM   #4
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

That's how it's supposed to sound
      06-05-2023, 04:30 PM   #5
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Mine doesn't sound like that at all. I always had the normal ticking of the injectors but there was zero additional noise after changing OEM to dorch stg2 pump. I don't think they got any louder, and no noise from the pump at all. Your clip sounds like some additional ticking noise is there.

No I don't have that noise at all and that would drive me crazy.

I don't run the front or rear foam pieces or vanity cover either, you can hear my injectors loud and clear but it really sounds stock
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 04:55 PM   #6
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
Mine doesn't sound like that at all. I always had the normal ticking of the injectors but there was zero additional noise after changing OEM to dorch stg2 pump. I don't think they got any louder, and no noise from the pump at all. Your clip sounds like some additional ticking noise is there.

No I don't have that noise at all and that would drive me crazy.

I don't run the front or rear foam pieces or vanity cover either, you can hear my injectors loud and clear but it really sounds stock
It sounds like it's coming from directly behind the steering wheel. I'm confused.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 02:11 AM   #7
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Did you reinstall the foam in the back of the engine?
      06-06-2023, 02:46 AM   #8
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I had a similar sound which would speed up with throttle like yours on my previous B58 with Dorch stage 2. I’d only notice it when I’m not playing music but when I did hear it, it would be so annoying and come behind the steering wheel. Yours sounded worse than mine ever did though.

Spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it was. Never did figure out what it was but when I opened the hood the ticking was extremely loud. Even at the dyno, the guy even asked what that sound was.

On my new engine I might hear it very rarely but it is very quiet if I do hear it at all. Be careful and keep an eye out.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #9
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
Did you reinstall the foam in the back of the engine?
Yes all sound deadening is where it used to be

A couple other observations. When coasting and fuel pressure isn't demanded, sound completely goes away, so it obviously is the pump or injectors.

I took some logs and they look completely normal, trying to get in contact with dorch. I've noticed this latest batch of dorch pumps are modified and have the low pressure feed in a different spot. Also my pump had oil on the plunger area when I received it so I wonder if it was used.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:22 AM   #10
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper340i View Post
I had a similar sound which would speed up with throttle like yours on my previous B58 with Dorch stage 2. I’d only notice it when I’m not playing music but when I did hear it, it would be so annoying and come behind the steering wheel. Yours sounded worse than mine ever did though.

Spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it was. Never did figure out what it was but when I opened the hood the ticking was extremely loud. Even at the dyno, the guy even asked what that sound was.

On my new engine I might hear it very rarely but it is very quiet if I do hear it at all. Be careful and keep an eye out.
You have the dorch on your new motor also?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 01:51 PM   #11
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Did you tighten it evenly and everything?

I didn't use a torque wrench on them.

I don't recall any oil on the new unit. I got it from x-ph a while ago. Not cheap.

Under wot at high RPMs you can hear it working hard, but it's a growling kind of noise, no clicking like that. Is the low pressure line hitting things maybe.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 02:34 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sounds normal to me but i recommend sending the clip directly to Dorch for their opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 07:09 PM   #13
Stockb587955
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 340i

Quote:
Yes all sound deadening is where it used to be

A couple other observations. When coasting and fuel pressure isn't demanded, sound completely goes away, so it obviously is the pump or injectors.

I took some logs and they look completely normal, trying to get in contact with dorch. I've noticed this latest batch of dorch pumps are modified and have the low pressure feed in a different spot. Also my pump had oil on the plunger area when I received it so I wonder if it was used.
Oiled parts is a standard practice in the automotive industy for certain parts.It is the prevent the seals from drying as well as prevents rust. That noise is normal I just got my pump 2 weeks ago (aslo a new revised pump). Dorch is a reputable company reach out to them if youre worried abiut your pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #14
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Shit. Dorch got back to me with this

"The newer revision is even more reliable and even higher flow, but potentially slightly louder at idle. We have one in our own car and it’s maybe marginally louder than the previous version (really hard to say for sure as there’s no good way to measure this exactly). It can be heard at idle and parking lot speeds, but nothing insane. Certainly if the radio is on even quietly or if you’re cruising down the road it definitely can’t be heard at all."

Even if it is "normal" meaning it functions correctly I'm not ok with that level of noise. It's super annoying.

Here's a other video from inside

Last edited by morritse; 06-06-2023 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:51 PM   #15
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

Quote:

"The newer revision is even more reliable and even higher flow, but potentially slightly louder at idle. We have one in our own car and it’s maybe marginally louder than the previous version (really hard to say for sure as there’s no good way to measure this exactly). It can be heard at idle and parking lot speeds, but nothing insane. Certainly if the radio is on even quietly or if you’re cruising down the road it definitely can’t be heard at all."

Even if it is "normal" meaning it functions correctly I'm not ok with that level of noise. It's super annoying.

https://youtu.be/h3gvgxJU0Ss
It’s pretty loud. Mine chirps at idle and low speeds, but nothing crazy like that. It’s one of the originals pumps. Try to warranty the pump? Talk to them. My o-ring was seeping a bit of oil residue and I hit them up asking to purchase a new one and they sent me 2 for free.
      06-06-2023, 09:09 PM   #16
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58 View Post
It’s pretty loud. Mine chirps at idle and low speeds, but nothing crazy like that. It’s one of the originals pumps. Try to warranty the pump? Talk to them. Mine o-ring was seeping a bit of oil residue and I hit them up asking to purchase a new one and they sent me 2 for free.
I think the fact that they're even acknowledging it might be louder is indicative of there being an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:11 PM   #17
talontdone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340Xi

Quote:

https://youtu.be/h3gvgxJU0Ss
Ok so I also have the DS2 pump and yours is unacceptably loud … mine chirps a bit at idle and low speeds a slight noise, but not even remotely close to how loud yours is. Ask them to send you a new one.
      06-08-2023, 01:11 AM   #18
Sleeper340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
You have the dorch on your new motor also?
Yes. But it’s definitely quieter on the new engine for some reason. Makes me think the issues on my old engine made the sound much worse. That or because I installed it myself. Your new video that does NOT sound normal though and way worse than mine on my previous engine.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 06:23 AM   #19
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Why not take a video under the hood, around and where the pump actually is?
      06-08-2023, 10:26 AM   #20
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
Why not take a video under the hood, around and where the pump actually is?
https://youtu.be/QfeOZC6XAMQ

It's not that interesting

Last edited by morritse; 06-08-2023 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 07:18 AM   #21
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://youtu.be/QfeOZC6XAMQ

It's not that interesting
So you take vids from inside the car with actual video, but then under the hood you omit the actual video and just give a sound clip? How is that helpful? Take a video, not a sound clip, under the hood and move the camera around to different parts of the engine.

I have a stage 2 and it sounds completely normal. Sounds like you didn't do your research on the pump before buying it and are having buyers remorse to me.

That being said, I feel like they get quieter over time, or I'm just more used to it now. Even turning the radio on at low volumes drowns out the noise completely
      06-09-2023, 04:18 PM   #22
morritse
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
So you take vids from inside the car with actual video, but then under the hood you omit the actual video and just give a sound clip? How is that helpful? Take a video, not a sound clip, under the hood and move the camera around to different parts of the engine.

I have a stage 2 and it sounds completely normal. Sounds like you didn't do your research on the pump before buying it and are having buyers remorse to me.

That being said, I feel like they get quieter over time, or I'm just more used to it now. Even turning the radio on at low volumes drowns out the noise completely
I really don't understand what information would be gleaned by me moving my phone around the engine bay.

The sound is obviously from the pump and dorch themselves admitted that this revision is louder.
Appreciate 0