F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Overnight rail sleeper to Scotland
GetBMWParts

11-03-2016, 02:52 PM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Overnight rail sleeper to Scotland

My Wife not having travelled on the overnight sleeper from London to Scotland before was very pleased when I decided to travel up & to return this way.
So the necessary booking was made. I decided on 1st class as these were single berth with intercomminicating doors. Whereas 2nd class were double berths in the same space. Nuff said!
Compared with some years ago, this was a very comfortable trip, the mattress & duvet were excellent & the journey very smooth. The carriage was very stable & quite running well suited for the 12 hour trip.
The train was 16 carriages long. The first class sleepers the first two.
There was a restaurant car where 1st class passengers had priority (or course!)
The menu was rather good with haggis & Scottish smoked salmon amongst the selection together with a comprehensive list of malt scotch miniatures.
A full English was available at breakfast.
What more could one ask?
It was an excellent few days in the Fort William/Mallaig area. Beautiful countryside with friendly people and good food.
Rather different to a past experience I had in Edinburgh a few years ago in the Royal Mile with a tourist bus guide who was very anti English.
When in the area you must try Cullen Skink! It's a fish stew; delicious!
A journey to be repeated!
Yes! It was better than driving!
PS I hired a car but it wasn't really necessary.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Used the sleeper a few times (used it loads back in the '80's lol).

I despatched my wife up to Scotland last month, rather than drive she went both ways by train.

Don't ever ever even contemplate 2nd class, it's just shocking.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Skello
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 X20d M Sport 2021

This is something I have always wanted to do, it never have got round to doing as we either just drive or get a normal train.

I love Edinburgh but, have come to love Glasgow more, helps being married to a Glaswegian
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
InquisitiveA
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport MG 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skello View Post
I love Edinburgh but, have come to love Glasgow more, helps being married to a Glaswegian
I suppose there has to be some upside...
Appreciate 1
Skello45.50
      11-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skello View Post
This is something I have always wanted to do, it never have got round to doing as we either just drive or get a normal train.

Of course, Glaswegian's far more friendly than friends in Edinburgh!

Appreciate 1
Skello45.50
      11-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
XWV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20

Only sleepers I've ever used were long-distance trains in China in the late '90s. They were very similar to your description in many respects; or at least the trains were also quite long and the people also friendly. And in both cases it was probably preferable to second class on a British sleeper.
      11-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWV View Post
Only sleepers I've ever used were long-distance trains in China in the late '90s. They were very similar to your description in many respects; or at least the trains were also quite long and the people also friendly. And in both cases it was probably preferable to second class on a British sleeper.
Lol used sleepers a few times in China, heading WEST from Guangzhou, usually to Zhangjiajie.

The trains must have really went downhill since the 90's then, have travelled in a couple Class levels, at a bonus you get a posh 4 berth with a mattress.

There is simiply no comparison between a Chinese train and British one, Chinese ones can be a nightmare lol, apart from absolutely nothing being in English anywhere in the station lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
What more could one ask?
It was an excellent few days in the Fort William/Mallaig area. Beautiful countryside with friendly people and good food.

When in the area you must try Cullen Skink! It's a fish stew; delicious!
A journey to be repeated!
I'm in Lochaber, great autumn colours this year. In fact you went past my home on the sleeper. (9:30am if it was on time ).

Yes, Cullen Skink is definitely worth a try. I was up in the north west last week and had one of the best dishes I've ever enjoyed at the Kylesku Hotel.

Where did you sample Cullen Skink? At the Crannog?
Appreciate 0