F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV
ARMA SPEED

01-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #45
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Not even remotely. I applaud everybody who buys one. If they are not buying them, then the better ones will never happen.
I cut them off at they invariably are blocking the left lane going 5mph under the speed limit pushing up their glasses trying to see the navigation so they can find an electrical outlet.
Funny, the i3 is actually pretty quick to 40mph or so. I see a guy terrorize the SUV crowd most mornings in one. Torque, rwd, thin tires and one gear make them pretty fun to drive. I assume you haven't driven one?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #46
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
When an environmentally friendly battery that recharges in 5 min and has a range of 300+ miles is invented I'll look. Until then these are impractical gizmos people buy to either look like they are hip, but really look like geeks, or by misguided ignorant tree huggers. The rest of us just look at electric owners and think lay-who-say-her!
It isn't a car for me but as a BMW coupe owner that is very impractical I would say there are a lot of reasons to buy something, making the best financial decision is only one of them.

Include me out in the name calling or "rest of us".
      01-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #47
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Funny, the i3 is actually pretty quick to 40mph or so. I see a guy terrorize the SUV crowd most mornings in one. Torque, rwd, thin tires and one gear make them pretty fun to drive. I assume you haven't driven one?
0-40 mph it is the same as an M3. That covers most city traffic.

Would love to have one as a city car. See several in my neighbour hood nearly daily. Just wish it looked less, well, electric.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #48
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
It's quick for a couple seconds. Yay. Why do you think they made interior parts from hemp. Hmmmmmm. Appealing to a particular crowd maybe?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #49
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
It isn't a car for me but as a BMW coupe owner that is very impractical I would say there are a lot of reasons to buy something, making the best financial decision is only one of them.

Include me out in the name calling or "rest of us".
I'm from NYC originally. It's in my DNA.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #50
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I've got an i3 and absolutely love it. It works for my daily commute of 7 miles roundtrip and as previously mentioned, 0-40 is right up there with an m3. Its nice not having to worry about the engine/oil temps not being fully warm, or getting like 12 mpg in all city driving in my old m3. It's a different story on the fwy (top speed is only 94 mph), but this thing was made to be in the city. I end up only charging it on the weekends, as the charge lasts the entire week for my work commute.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone

Last edited by SunnyD; 01-14-2016 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #51
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Quote:
When an environmentally friendly battery that recharges in 5 min and has a range of 300+ miles is invented I'll look. Until then these are impractical gizmos people buy to either look like they are hip, but really look like geeks, or by misguided ignorant tree huggers. The rest of us just look at electric owners and think lay-who-say-her!
I applaud your bladder.

I can't drive more than 200 miles with taking a piss.

I think 200 miles and a 5-10 min charge would be acceptable for most folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Most of us have a normal car for road trips, or would just rent one. The i3 has an available 5er rental for longer trips available.

Not having to go to a gas station would be nice. We have some sketchy folks at just about every station I use. None of them seem to be in my garage.

I can say that in the last two years, I have driven more than 200 miles at once exactly zero times, and even in the last five, we've always taken the wife's car. An electric car with a 200+ mile range would not change any habits for me and would actually put my wife at ease since I like to drive until I have about half a gallon of gas left, long after the 0 Miles Until Empty has shown up. Being able to charge it like my phone would always leave me plenty of surplus.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #53
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

I drive 700 to 1000 miles a week. If you aren't driving those distances however, the savings in gas isn't paying for itself which is why it isn't economically feasible.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #54
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drive 700 to 1000 miles a week. If you aren't driving those distances however, the savings in gas isn't paying for itself which is why it isn't economically feasible.
Again, it's the instant torque and lift throttle braking. It's kinda fun. In the same way that an M3 is more fun than a Corolla but not easy to justify on a 'hey it's never gonna save enough gas to cover the cost differential' sort of way.

Now if only the Bolt was rwd and had defeatable traction control. But for a daily, it still would be an easy choice over something like a 320i or a CLA250.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #55
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Um no.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #56
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Um no.
Excellent response. Would read again.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:50 PM   #57
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Excellent response. Would read again.
Um, yes.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #58
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Chevy bolt is $34-38,000 and a cruze or Malibu can be had for high teens to mid 20s. There is no way you save money with a volt. It's no better than a cruze, the Malibu is better in every way, and it's flexible for longer trips, carrying more, and better for the environment. The BMW or Mercedes give you a much higher amount of luxury that if Chevy added would add another $15,000 to the sticker so that's an unfair comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #59
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wait, you drive how much? Jeebus. 35-50k a year is certainly a different league than my 8-10k.

But no, a giant, soft car like a Malibu has zero appeal to me. A small, agile hatch, much more. Not every thing is a value play. Many cars can't be justified when compared to a Corolla/Camry/Sprinter, whatever. But they still sell for other reasons. And bigger and softer isn't a good sell for many of us.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #60
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Wait, you drive how much? Jeebus. 35-50k a year is certainly a different league than my 8-10k.

But no, a giant, soft car like a Malibu has zero appeal to me. A small, agile hatch, much more. Not every thing is a value play. Many cars can't be justified when compared to a Corolla/Camry/Sprinter, whatever. But they still sell for other reasons. And bigger and softer isn't a good sell for many of us.
That's you I put the cruze there which is the same amount of car for half the price. Same size, maker, quality etc At 9,000 mIles a year yout hAve to drive iy for 22 years to realize any savings vs the cruze. Make that 25 because you'd need a battery pack replacement along the way. .
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #61
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's you I put the cruze there which is the same amount of car for half the price. Same size, maker, quality etc At 9,000 mIles a year yout hAve to drive iy for 22 years to realize any savings vs the cruze. Make that 25 because you'd need a battery pack replacement along the way. .
But power delivery is nothing alike, nor is interior volume.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #62
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
But power delivery is nothing alike, nor is interior volume.
If it's for the fun factor, then OK.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #63
Pheonix
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I just signed a lease on the VW eGolf (also checked out the i3 but it was expensive and too fugly for me). The eGolf's design is as closed to a normal car as it can be.
I love instant torque;-). However, one only achievez the specified range of 85 miles/charge if drive in optimal road and weather conditions and stay under 65mph (with light acceleration)
E cars are not for everyone.
The mains reasons i got the car are:
-cut down on commute time as i get to use the HOV lane.
-the costs of the lease and insurance are less than i currently spend on gas (i dont think gas price will stay low forever).
-i get free charging at work.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #64
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Third point us fine.
No HOV lanes here thank god. They added them and realized the under utilization of them combined with the extra traffic in the other lanes actually had the opposite effect of what they were intended for. The idea of them was to have more people carpool to cut down on traffic and reduce fuel consumption. The reality is this never happened and they actually increase fuel consumption so everywhere I've lived they've been removed.
Gas will stay low forever, or for the next few decades, if the government lands closed to oil production by Obama to pump up gas prices are reopened. That takes a Republican president.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #65
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
We couldn't even call this a controversial car on F30 post. It's unanimous, folks, people hate it. My comment: Meh. Cool that they're trying. I wonder if the i3 design team is pissed at the shameless design-cue copies: look at the window treatment and BMW shifter.
As I predicted...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 05:05 AM   #66
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
But I do drive that much. I've done many financial comparisons with EVs and hybrids vs. ICE cars, and depending upon the car chosen and at level of mileage it is used for, some EVs or hybrids at least do pay off within the lifetime use of the vehicle. A few years ago I ran a life cycle financial comparison of a Tesla S vs. my E90 to 200,000 miles. The Tesla came out about $20K more expensive to run to 200,000 miles. Get that $20K out of the price of the Tesla, and things even up. Get more than $20K out of the price, like the Bolt possibly will, and the equation reverses. For me, if the financials work out to be even or slightly in favor of the EV, then it's on my list for consideration. But the situation is I have several cars to drive long distances, so a 200-mile range EV just for my daily commute makes sense. And as anyone who owns a BMW knows, the reason BMWs are expensive to own is because the need to have a 2nd car to drive while the Bimmer is in the shop.

But like I stated before I like EVs because it's plain to see the manual transmission is on it's way out and EVs mostly are single gear transmissions, so they don't shift at the wrong time. And because the price of electricity remains constant over time (yeah I know, O'Bama is trying to screw that up too) unlike gasoline, which is priced purely based on political reasons.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0