F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F32 4 Series sequential tail lights DIY
proTUNING Freaks

05-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

F32 4 Series sequential tail lights DIY

I know it's a 50/50 split of people who like and hate this, but I've been a fan for a while of sequential turn signals.

So I decided to build my own.. £3.00 later and I have two delay relays. Wired it myself and spliced into some of the existing loom cables, adjusted the timings and wallah!

05-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by producerlawson View Post
I know it's a 50/50 split of people who like and hate this, but I've been a fan for a while of sequential turn signals.

So I decided to build my own.. £3.00 later and I have two delay relays. Wired it myself and spliced into some of the existing loom cables, adjusted the timings and wallah!

Looks good
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:

I really like it.

producerlawson Can you give a us a proper DIY with links to purchase the relays, instruction on location of relays to what wires to connect them to, and how to adjust the timing?
Thanks

Last edited by BackBlue; 05-15-2019 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #4
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBlue View Post
Quote:

I really like it.

producerlawson Can you give a us a proper DIY with links to purchase the relays, instruction on location of relays to what wires to connect them to, and how to adjust the timing?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBlue View Post
Quote:

I really like it.

Thanks
Definitely looks good - im also curious about how to ...

Instructions, with pictures if possible would be brilliant !
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Worst DIY instructions ever.

mbanks211267.50
      05-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
While I applaud his ingenuity, there already is a kit out there to do BMW sequential tails (on LCI tails ONLY)

Guy who makes them posted the kit info on the forum when they 1st came out - I have them & they work fine. PnP in about 5sec after u remove the outer tails - no circuit board construction needed - it's all contained in a short harness that goes between light and factory wiring & uses all factory connectors

Google BMW Dynamic Blinker Mod

Pic of harnesses on their site not quite what I got - mine look exactly like in utube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sge8PmrDwyA
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 05:34 AM   #7
BackBlue
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, '13 E70 N63, '19 F33 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
While I applaud his ingenuity, there already is a kit out there to do BMW sequential tails
Thanks for the info, and that'd be great it it weren't a $100. That is just way too much for what it is, IMO.

While I drive BMW's...I'm not made of money. I like to DIY, so supposedly...if it can be done for around 6 Euros (3 per side I'm assuming from the OP), I'd like to know how. But apparently the OP isn't much on sharing.

ps. that's one Righteous Bird!

Last edited by BackBlue; 05-19-2019 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #8
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Apologies guys, when I wrote DIY I was meaning I had made it myself rather than buying the pnp kit.

I've been busy with work over the past week, working on the radio is a crazy demanding job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283302026187
These are the modules I bought, personally I got them from amazon for around £5 for x2, however it looks like eBay has them cheaper (not to sure if the build quality is different)

All you need to do is unhook your battery to save any accidents, remove the gutter trims, take out the two nuts that hold in your outer tail light units and unplug the cable.

For me this is how the cabling worked (UK RHD):

Right hand side light - purple/black cable (2nd from the right)
Left hand side light - black/white cable (2nd from the right)

These two cables needed to be cut in half, with the first half being placed into the entry of the module and the second half (going towards the plug) sticking out of the module exit.

The brown cable for both L+R is the ground wire - this needs a splice crimp so that you can run a second copy of those same wires into the module.

Once that is done you can tweak the timings by using a screw driver on this controller:

The timing controller takes quite a bit of turning to change the delay value.

Before hooking this up to your car I would recommend that you test your wiring on a battery (such as a PP3). Each module has a red LED which lights up to indicate power, and a blue LED to indicate when the delay has finished.

Lastly, I extended the cables of which I had to cut so that I could bag up the modules to make them water tight, before hiding them down in the body panel.
BackBlue107.00